Newb questions for first project (Iron Man MK4 with foam)

Thorlof

Hi RPF forum,

i am new here, have discovered the passion for building movie based armor and stumbled over many questions while building.
How many people I started with the Iron Man MK4 Suit, using the robo3687 foam files.

I choose nearly the same foam material as Xrobots (Plastazote LD29 5mm) and choose the way of painting in PVA and spray it with Plasti Dip. I would like to do it with Smooth-on 65D too, but exactly that one is not payable in germany :-( (>100 Euro).

Here you can see my progress of sticking all together (Right Forearm and both legs are missing):

imag00012e.jpg

imag00052m.jpg

Some parts are already painted with pva for collecting some experiences. For the PVA material I choose a wood glue from a DIY store.
I ordered some plasti dip bottles. Does anyone have experience how many bottles I need for the whole suit ?
I built a platform out of a cheap table from a reputable furniture trader from sweden ( ;-) ) and put some foam scraps under it. I got it for 5 Euro.

imag0004ev.jpg

Now my first question: I could not wear the whole suit so far, because I have read in many posts that I have to cut it first in a few sections (back of helmet, cod in two pieces, …).
Would you paint it first in pva and spray it with plasti dip and execute the cut than or would you first paint with pva and cut it before spray with plasti dip ?

Second: Is anyone using the brace later in the suit? Is this only for the building process and can cut off when the suit is hardened?

I would appreciate answers and feedback signals :) !

Last edited:
as far as i know the brace is some kind of optional...it's designed to hold the suit together and to fill the gaps of the collar area...some members are using the brace, some not...i'm building a mk IV too at the moment and I have build only the upper part of the brace (i left out the round part for the arc reactor and the part where the back should be connected) but I'm not shure if I will use it in the end...

cheers from Bochum

THX to Bochum.
But if you let out that much, is using the neck-part not enough ?

ironmanneck.jpg

If i let the whole brace out, i will have gaps at the collarbone too :(
Ok, i'll leave it with the brace. Then i have to think about a point of intersection.

For your first Q i reckon it would be better if you suit up before sealing your pieces. Ive completed my build and am now looking for the best possible way to attach it all. Only after will i look into sealing etc.

As for your 2nd Q you decide wether to use the brace or not. Im just using the plates and freehanding the piece that seals the gap between back and neck. I just dont find the brace to be a necessary part for the build so no need to waste foam on it.

@Gonzo:
Very good idea! I'll try to glue it in two pieces inside chest and back.

@Mektar:
You are right. It probably makes more sense to glue all the foam together and test the wearing comfort. Ok, this afternoon: legs ...

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back