New Davy Jones Costume for Disney Cruise 2014

claymore61

Ok guys, it is on ......
My friend in Connecticut s being really secretive about his pirate costume for next years Disney cruise. Apparently he's beavering away in his garage , and even his wife isn't allowed in!!

so I'm proposing to rebuild my Davy Jones costume...... Only better ( I hope)

I've only been doing this since the beginning of the year ( see my other costume post) but I'm hoping to use my first build experience (including the failures) and the stuff I'm continuing to learn from the Stan Winston School to develop an upgraded costume.

Here's the plan...
DJ mask will be in latex and have animatronics for the tentacles.
Mouth will be operational to allow me to talk, drink and breathe this time..... Without removing the mask.
The claw and leg will be made the same as before, except maybe try fibreglass instead of foam.
The claw will operate better to open wider.

The rest will be mostly the same.

So thats the plan anyway, but I might have to adjust it as I go, as I'm kinda making it up as I go along again

If there's any interest in a build series of posts, then let me know, if not I'll just put on the final result.

I might put a couple of videos on, if all goes well.

Anyway, let me have your thoughts, as I need to get started .

Ok then, let's go.

I made a paper template on my lifecast just to try sculpting a kinda "skull cap" to hold servos etc

After I do this , I'll maybe make a mould , to form the finished fibreglass cap.

This is very early stages so I'll need to play it by ear.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 373
So then , another couple of pix of the plaster support jacket being applied after the latex has cured
I use fine casting plaster most of the time, cos I can buy it locally in big bags, fairly cheaply
I tend to use a handful of fibreglass cut ends to strengthen it up a bit.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 320
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 331
Ok chaps,
Been offline for a while through Christmas and new year etc, then getting back to work so, haven't had time to get working on the sculpt.
But now started.
Here's the new sculpt, blocking out. I've changed to chevant soft NSP clay, just to try it and it's better , if just a little soft. But I work in a cool environment so it works not too badly.
I won't show every single detail of the build, but I'll get back soon.

Oh PS my wife wants me to build another costume for her based on a character in POTC, so I might start getting that one done too.
It's a special one, and part of DJ crew, so watch this space :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 377
Hi guys,
In the process of promotion at work, so been a bit busy changing up :D

But here's a wee interim photo, showing the head sculpt and the "test rig" for the animatronics

I've had to make the face slightly thicker to take the cables etc, and I'll need to make a new hat to hide the servos etc but ... Hey ho

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 393
First off.... WOW!
Top notch work you doing there.
Question if you don't mind.
What are you using to control the servos movements?

hi john,
i watched the "robotic brain" tutorial on Stan Winstons school, so i'll be taking guidance from that.
they use a Parallex board of education prototyping board with a programmable BASIC stamp.
im using a small servo tester at the moment , just to test servo strengths, pull lengths etc, but i only want subtle movements in some of the tentacles, not big sweeping ones.
once its done, the board will be programmed to give "natural" movement to the tentacles ( hopefully). :wacko

A wee update.
started messing with the tentacles. I'm gonna try a new process, to make it easier and hopefully a better finish.
ive made a "master" latex tentacle mould, to allow me to make base masters. I'll add clay to these to make them different and make final plaster moulds etc.

ive also made a plaster "skull cap" which I'll mould then create a fibreglass cap to hold servos etc.

well that's the plan anyways :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 242
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 263
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 236
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 235
Re: New Davy Jones Costume for Disney Cruise 2014 - Animatronic trials started

So heres the first trial of a generic tentacle .
Its being run off a battery drill. but I'll be sourcing servos / motors etc later - I just wanted to prove my thoughts out first.

This would be one of the "side" tentacles which would simply "slither" repetitively, so minimal controls required, but its not too shabby so far.

keep plugging away :D

Attachments

• tentacle test.MOV
    3.7 MB · Views: 363
Ok guys another wee update - THE POWER OF THE "X" ( for those who are on Stan Winston) :)

Ive started to texture up the clay . Still aways to go but getting there ...... Need to work to earn the cash to pay for this little chap after all.

Attachments

• 20140210_124533.JPG
    20140210_124533.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 270
  • 20140210_124415.JPG
    20140210_124415.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 272
This is absolutely amazing!!! you mention stan winston. Are you taking online classes from the website? are there free tutorials? My wife is very much interested in prosthetic makeup

This is absolutely amazing!!! you mention stan winston. Are you taking online classes from the website? are there free tutorials? My wife is very much interested in prosthetic makeup

Yes , using the online tutorials, but I have the $20 membership.
theres another good website with free stuff called Learn Makeup Effects which is quite good, and it deals with prosthetics quite a bit.

I think the makers of Davy Jones really like HP Lovecrafts C'thulhu, cant blame them he's a cool character and so creepy.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back