My Mad Max complete MFP outfit (first film) - lots of pics

Max Replica

This is a long overdue post.

I'll post some pictures before I bore you with the wordy details:
(This whole outfit will be for sale in the junkyard section of the forum soon).

Oh, and please bear with the fact that Max has facial hair and a mohawk...

View attachment 43162View attachment 43163View attachment 43167View attachment 43166View attachment 43165View attachment 43170
View attachment 43159View attachment 43160View attachment 43301View attachment 43161
View attachment 43157
View attachment 43164View attachment 43168
View attachment 43158

This is about as accurate as it gets for a complete version of the uniform Mel Gibson wore in the first Mad Max movie. I know of only a few fans out there that have one this complete (hi guys, you know who you are).

Some notes:
I used the Southbeach jacket, not the Abbyshot. The main reason was price, but the Southbeach jacket does have a few advantages: It is cut shorter at the waist (the Abbyshots are cut too long), it tapers in at the waist (the Abbyshot flares out, which is incorrect), and it's not as hot for us California boys (the Abbyshot has a very warm liner).
On the downside, the leather on the SB is lower quality, the adjustment tabs are a bit too high, and the shouldercaps it ships with are no good.
I replaced my shouldercaps with some that I cut from a plastic baseball helmet, using the measurements of an Abbyshot shouldercap.

The sunglasses are from eBay and are not available anymore. Which is unfortunate as they are the closest style I've ever found to the originals from the movie. They're the right shape, have the signature oval cutout between the lenses, and they're the correct smoke/grey color and not brown/amber. (You'll see in the photo that there are some cracks in the lenses. They're not that noticeable once the glasses are on, but I may still consider replacing the lenses at some point).

In some of the shots above I'm wearing the baton, and in some I'm wearing the shotgun. That's because Max never wears them both at the same time in the movie (though I sometimes violate that).

The handcuff are the rarer, screen-accurate three link style.

The belt was custom-made by me. It was the only way to get an SA (screen accurate) belt. It is 1 3/4", which is what I guess his one in the movie is. The end of the belt tapers just like the screen version. This long and gradual taper is an older cut of belt that they don't really make these days. The buckle isn't 100% perfect, but it's the closest one I've ever seen. I think I might have one extra one around here somewhere...

Pants are from Southbeach leather, ordered custom-sized and with no pockets.

The gloves are the "motobiker" gloves from eBay, modified to be a bit more SA. I believe that once modified these are actually a bit more SA than the Abbyshot gloves.

The shotgun holster was made by magnolia leatherworks in Georgia to my specifications. They now make them for other fans as well.

There are actually two shotguns in the pictures. I have a plastic airsoft one that I painted up with the Mad Max One paint scheme (I also filled in the screw holes and things like that) and I have a Hudson wood and metal blank-firing replica (that's the one in the shot where you see me putting the blank shotgun shell into it). The Hudson is the one I use for my Road Warrior outfit, so it has the Mad Max 2 paint scheme.

The blue t-shirt is a genuine Bonds shirt just like in the movie. It took me years to find and was still sealed when I bought it (and in my size no less).

The boots in some of the shots are genuine vintage Australian Rossiter aka Rossi motorcycle boots, just like the ones in the movie. In some of the shots I'm wearing my replica Rossi boots that I had custom made. It is VERY hard to tell the two pairs apart, even up close.

The revolver is an airsoft replica that I did some custom painting on. It's a .357 S&W just like the one in the movie. It is even loeaded with deactivated .357 bullets.

The shoulder holster for the revolver is a custom one I had done recently. I believe it's the most accurate copy of the movie holster that I've seen. It has a split-open front like Max's (this detail was only visible to me in one of the promo photos for the movie.) Note: In the shots of the jacket from the back, you'll see that the holster strap is at an angle, this is not how it normally looks. It usually goes straight across, I just put it on in a hurry and couldn't see that it was on a little off-kilter.

The badge and pin set is from Abbyshot. The additional badge on the boot is not from Abbyshot, it's a metal one I got on eBay. The two badges look very similar and I haven't actually made up my mind as to which of the two is more SA.

The night stick/billy club is not 100% SA, but it was the closest real wooden club I could find for now.

Last edited:
Really exciting to see these pics. Also sorry I never got a chance to really thank you for the awesome Max 2 you did for me. Your attention to detail really is amazing.

Thanks guys!
And hey, Max Jenius, I'm just really glad to hear that you like it. Send me a picture of you wearing it sometime if you ever get a chance.

And just to let the rest of you know - No, sorry, I don't make Mad Max 2 costumes for people. The one for Max Jenius was a one-time deal. The MM2 outfit requires a LOT of work (as opposed to this MM1 costume which was mostly purchased, but did require a lot of internet searching).

And to answer the question roninjapan asked above, I don't really do costumes from other movies. Mad Max 1 and 2 are it. And while I don't normally create full costumes for people, I do try to help as much as I can with sourcing hard to find components and in assisting other folks in creating their own Mad Max outfits (you can find all of my tutorials here on the RPF and I've got a few more to go.)

I won't be doing a run of these costumes. The one you see in the picture is the only one. And once I sell it, it's gone for good. Oh well, I'll still have my Road Warrior costume.

Last edited:
Measurements?
I'm assuming this is sold complete? or will it be pieced out?
Great work on your tutorials!, they're exceptionally helpful!

Thanks. Glad you like the tutorials.

I'll post all the measurements and other details in the junkyard as part of the official sale thread, probably in another day or two. I'll post here once it's up.
This outfit will be sold complete, not pieced out.
Peace out. : )

Thanks. Glad you like the tutorials.

I'll post all the measurements and other details in the junkyard as part of the official sale thread, probably in another day or two. I'll post here once it's up.
This outfit will be sold complete, not pieced out.
Peace out. : )

Wow, That is a superb costume, well done. well worth what you will sell is for.

Superb work as always J, i know the amount of work you have put in to get these costumes just right and you were a great help in getting mine together.
Best of luck with the sale.

I rate this movie costume design as the coolest, most bad ass looking one still grouned in reality there is.

Thanks Mr Webber. You would know.
Obviously, yours was one of the other "complete" MFP costumes I was referring to. In fact, I think you're the only other guy I know that has both the real Rossis and the real Bonds shirt.
And you really should do a thread just about that scratch built sawed off shotgun you made. From the one picture I see of it it really looks amazing. I'd like to see more pics and know a bit more about how you put it together.

Thanks mate.

I started the gun by tracking down second hand accurate wooden parts from the few local gunshops, this is also where the trigger, gaurd and safety came from.
The stock then had to be cut followed by a mountain of sanding.
The first thing after that was to join the two wooden parts using a long bolt, had to guess how far apart to space them.

Covered the gap by measureing and cutting out a clear plastic document protector and hitting it with alum spray. The barrells are PVC tubing with
the dash light surrounds from an XC dashboard stuck on the trigger end of the barrels. Just used filler around all of that to finish it off. Glued a thin metal strip across the length of the barrels.
Just made some little greeblies for trimming and hit it with a light coat of rosewood stain.

Unfortunately i lost most of the pics including all the build pics in the last HDD crash but i found these.

View attachment 43288 View attachment 43289 View attachment 43290 View attachment 43291 View attachment 43292

The costume has been sold and will be shipped off to a happy new home.
I'm glad I was able to share it here on the RPF before it went bye bye.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back