I've been watching with great interest and envy many of the excellent builds on the forum and finally decided to get myself in on the action. The following isn't the most finished or perfected it could be, but with the time and budget I was working with this year I'm quite pleased with it. I was at a Halloween party last night and many people thought I was genuinely creepy so I'm taking that as a compliment :)
My girlfriend is a HUGE Batman fan and was The Riddler this year and as I had a mask based work even I decided last minute to build a Scarecrow mask & hand/gauntlet piece. Some of my favourite memories as a kid were making costumes with my mum and it's been great to rediscover that on my own. Hopefully this will be the first of a few builds.
It's largely inspired by the game Arkham Asylum although I like to generally work to my own design using images as inspiration but not direct reference. Hopefully this will come though.
Anyway, I've included some photos below including pictures of the source materials as I didn't have time (and kept forgetting) to take photos during the build.
Hope you see some things you like and thanks for the inspiration :)
I started with a simple skull mask from a pound (dollar) store.
I cut out a chunk from the jaw and mouth area but made sure to leave a good amount of the cheeks for attaching the respirators later.
I bought a couple of burlap vegetable sacks and cut them up into pieces. I was careful to remove some treads for stitching later on and I kept the seams from the sides of the bag intact with material either side to make what would become the eyebrows and upper lip details.
Using hot glue I began attaching the sack pieces to the mask in order to get the face shape and expression. I took a lot of care choosing which pieces you use where to get the results I wanted and doing this actually led to some happy accidents in terms of the way the material fell. For example as I was paying so much attention to getting the eyes right that the material the fell around the forehead worked out really well without me actually planning it.
I put together a sink strainer, the top of a Pringles tube and the bottom of a rice desert container to make my respirators. I also included some black mesh material behind the strainer so it wasn't so se through.
A black boot lace and some extra material made the mouth, then finally I used some larger material pieces stitched together with the sacks own string material to ensure the piece cover all round my head. I put a little bit of hot glue here and there just to make sure the stitching didn't come out as I'd had one mishap putting it one during the build where I ripped out half the stitches!
So, after all that (and a few other minor steps) I had a mask that looked like this:
The second piece was the glove with injection needles. The base for this was a riggers glove from my local DIY store.
I cut some material away from this (including the thumb) to make it less glove-like and then extended the fingers with some sweetie packages.
I added to the top of those some football (soccer) pump adapters to make the needle shapes.
In order to cover the seams I wrapped in some bandages which I think gives it a bit more of a freaky look as well making the needles look more a part of the hand.
I then cut the cuff section so that I can wrap it tighter around my wrist. I added a little velco here to achieve that and also added a little piece on the top to keep the gauntlet in place once that was completed.
Once completed the glove looked like this:
The final piece was the gauntlet that holds Scarecrows hallucinogen. I actually made to versions of this. The first I used at my work event and found it was impractical. I used some plastic sweetie tubes as the poison receptacles with some pipe clips to 'hold them in place' (everything was hot glued down). These were attached to two arm clips made from a Pringles tube. I found however that I hadn't considered the way in which my arm gets larger as it gets closer to my elbow and so the sweetie tubes kept hitting against me.
Due to this, on the day of the Halloween party I was going to I took that apart and made a new one. This one was made from a pasta tub that naturally angles out and had a pronounced lip at the wider end. This allowed me to attach the sweetie tubes on in a way that followed that shape and so kept them away from my arms.
I added the pipe clips and some black mesh material to give a little texture as I'd run out of time to do much more. Prior to adding the sweetie tubes I'd drilled a hole at the ends and fed through (hot gluing in place) some brush cutter cable
Together the glove and gauntlet looked like this:
So that's it! I hope some of you found that interesting. Next build I'll try to take photo's as I'm building to make this a little more detailed. It's not the best finish as I say, but I'm quite pleased with it for my first go, especially the mask :)