My classic Dr.Who U.N.I.T capbadge build...(pic heavy)

Jodo Kast 3

Sr Member
I`ve been wanting to do this costume for a very long time. After assembling all of the right parts and costume materials, I was lacking the one thing I needed to complete the build. A capbadge for my beret. After negotiating for a super high res clean copy of the graphic, I was able to start the project. And huuuge big thanks to RPF members Kursosawa and Shagger999uk, and Gallifrey Base member Hito, of which this project could not have done without them. Thank you gentlemen...

The first step was working from a basic pic:
UNIT.jpg

Judging by the size of the capbadge to the eye socket, a 2 inch blank was created:
hatbadge1.jpg

After looking at some side shots of the capbadge, I best guessed it had some sort of white body to the badge, so I sprayed the back of the badges white:
hatbadge2.jpg

hatbadge3.jpg

hatbadge4.jpg

After that,I sized and printed out the logo on high quality photo paper:
hatbadge5.jpg

After that, I cut the logo out with a 2 inch hole punch from the craft store:
hatbadge6.jpg

Once the circular logo was cut out, I ran it through the sticker maker I picked up at the craft store:
hatbadge7.jpg

hatbadge8.jpg

Now that the stckers were done, I sanded the un-painted side of the badge with a fine-grit sandpaper to rough up the face for the sticker to adhear to:
hatbadge9.jpg

hatbadge10.jpg

hatbadge11.jpg

hatbadge12.jpg

Once that was done, I sprayed the capbadge with a clear sealer so the logo would be protected and the sticker would never peel:
hatbadge13.jpg

Once that was done, I got a package of pinbacks from the craft store, and supergluded them on the backs of the badge body:
hatbadge14.jpg

hatbadge15.jpg

hatbadge16.jpg

And there you go...a cheap and simple solution to a costume build problem:
hatbadge17.jpg

Last edited:
Just been give a link to this thread.
That's a very nice build, I feel inspired to try something similar.

Having never built any kind of prop or costume myself, I think this is a good starting point for a hardened Doctor Who fan.
I hope you don't mind if I copy your process at some point in the future?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back