My Buzz Lightyear Costume (progress pics)

Is this so the paint doesn't eat the PVA foam?

You usually use modge podge (or 2-part epoxy) to harden the non-coated foam. You can use it with or without Plasti-dip (which is what most folks use to provide a solid and paint-able surface.

If there is still flex in your foam pieces, a coat or two of Adhesive Promoter between the 'primer' level (modge podge or epoxy) and the final coat of paint will allow the enamel paint to bend a bit with the foam.

I actually had a major house fire two weeks ago. The buzz was spared but was covered in soot. I had to clean it off and repaint and seal everything. I'm currently working on the chest piece and jet pack. Pictures coming soon. I'm having to split my time between this and my OST wig. That was consumed in the fire as well.

Damn. Sorry to hear about your fire. Sounds like everyone was safe though?

Was going to ask you where you got the stickers for your costume...Or at least they look like stickers for your arm portions. Thanks.

Paul

I used pdf files I found originally on this site and rescaled and formed them to fit me. So the templates ended up being eyed for the most part.

Yes, I can't wait to see it finished.

Are you using a spray Polycrylic or brushing it on, too? I found that when I got the coated surface really wet, the polycrylic softened and absorbed the moisture. It started to get cloudy from within. Once I just left it to dry, it returned to being clear again. Since it is water based, it is more flexible and doesn't show any surface cracking like other clear finishes will. I was surprised that it didn't just repel the water and stay dry though.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back