I started with a quick material test, just to see how difficult this would be. It wasn't too bad, so I decided to press on. (The colors are way too bright here, so I had to change them a bit later on.)
I then started work on my pattern. For those of you who have seen my work, you'll notice that I'm very fond of tin foil
I then flattened the tin-foil out in the shape of my rough patterns.
My rough tin-foil pattern refined a bit-
Then put onto fabric for the initial mask-
The first mask all sewn together. As you can see, way too loose. That's the point of a first draft though!
So I then pinned the mask up to get a better shape, along with the first draft of a lens template-
For the lens material itself, I realized my front gate had a similar texture (Though not a honeycomb pattern)
So, I set it up to have a silicone mold made-
Then put liquid plastic into the silicone mold to make my lens-
A more refined mask with a rough lens on it-
I then started to sketch out the web pattern-
The finalized web pattern-
Annd then taken apart and laid out flat-
Then I made a template for the shading and brick pattern-
The first piece shaded-
Annd the rest. I went a bit heavy with the shadows, and didn't really get some of the highlights I wanted, such as the cheek bones. I blame the fact that I was painting outside at night with practically no light.
Ready to lay the Honeycomb texture. Note my hastily made light table. Like I said, practically no budget.
The lenses refined and ready for some gold-
The honeycomb laid on the face piece. Ready for webbing!
The frames for the lenses being cast with liquid plastic-
The lenses painted gold-
Annnd the finished face piece, all ready to be sewn-
The refined frames ready to be molded-
Wearing the sewn up mask! Now all that's left is to lay the webbing to hide the seams, and glue on the lenses!
The mask on a bust so I can lay on the final webbing. I also pinned the lenses on (roughly) with the old foam frame. The final plastic frames aren't as thick.
Wearing the mask again, this time with the seams covered up
Aaand with the lenses pinned on. I'm surprised I didn't pin them to my skin.
The finished lenses
The lenses glued on. They don't sit perfectly on the mask, but if you have any experience with Spidey masks you'll know that without a face shield it's hard to make them look perfect.
Then wearing the mask-
Again in at a different angle-