Maya from Borderlands 2

LadySnip3r

Hey everyone,
I'm starting a new costume that I plan on debuting Spring 2013 @ PAX East in Boston and I was hoping I could pick your brains about it. I'll be making a Maya costume from Borderlands 2! (See below for reference image)

2318_borderlands-2-prev.png

I've been cosplaying for about a year, but this will probably be my most challenging costume to date... that's why I'm giving myself so long to work on it. I want this costume to be perfect.

Hair
I'll be sporting a wig for this costume, which I've already purchased on ebay. I think it's a great style/color, but I might still dye the tips of it a little darker blue. Does anyone have any experience dying wigs? I can't say I've ever done it.

Makeup
My plan is to use some form of body paint for her arm. I don't have much experience with body paint (except to make myself look dirty), but I've heard great things about Ben Nye makeup, so I'm leaning towards that. Not sure how to create that amazing color that she has - it's almost glowing.

The rest of the makeup should be pretty straight forward, just smokey eye with blue lipstick.

Another thing to note on her face is her eyes. I'm going to get colored contacts (my eyes are dark blue so they don't really work), but I can't seem to find light grey ones. Do you think white ones with a darker outline would look okay? Once again, I've got no experience with contacts.

Clothing
Oh that top will be the death of me. I bought all of the materials for it, choosing yellow, black, and grey spandex. I can sew the basics but I've never worked with spandex before. I hear it's hell. I've looked up quite a few tutorials online so I'll probably follow along with that and hope it turns out.

One part of her top has material that has a sort of mesh look to it and I couldn't find fabric that matched that. I bought extra black fabric with the intent of painting on that design - Do you guys know what type of paint works with spandex? If any?

Her pants should be fairly simple, but I'm going to wait to start them until there are more clear screenshots. I think they're a combination of jeans and grey material, with lots of pockets and whatnot. I've got the jeans, and I'll probably pick up some thicker grey material.

Accessories
She's got a holster of sorts which has not been clear with the current screenshots that are out. I'll probably wait to really see how it looks instead of making it and having to re-do it.

I'd love to get sneakers as close to hers as possible, but I have no idea where to look!

Weapons
I plan on modifying a toy gun, making a mold, and then making it from plastic or something. I've never actually done that before, but I think it could look really cool - plus, I'm going with a Borderlands group so having a mold could be helpful to make lots of guns for us.

I really wanna make her orb and have it light up. I've thought about using a large plastic Christmas ornament that opens and then filling it with some lights or even painting the inside blue. I wanna be creative with the orb but it's one of those things that are very difficult to translate into real life.

I'll be working on this costume for the next 4-5 months and will definitely post updates on here with pictures of my progress. I really appreciate any help/tips you can give me along the way! :)

UPDATE - Jan 15
I've ordered everything I have to for this except the phase lock prop. I was thinking it would be really cool to use a spacey ball because I bought blacklight body paint, but I'm unsure how to wire it to be portable. Any thoughts?

I also finished my gun today! Yay :D I used a nerf gun that I spraypainted black, then handpainted the camo and weathered it with black, silver, and brown to give it that cell-shaded look.
img2626y.jpg

Last edited:
Gun could be made by modifying a Nerf pistol.

The mesh on the side of her top reminds me of the material used on some of the Lara Croft Underworld outfits.

If you get your hands on a fiber optic tree, the lights could be used inside the orb. I'm thinking you could also leave some strands out to simulate the power flowing out.

Gun could be made by modifying a Nerf pistol.

The mesh on the side of her top reminds me of the material used on some of the Lara Croft Underworld outfits.
That's probably what I'll end up doing. I've got a toy gun from Wal-Mart that actually looks super realistic. Probably going to bulk it up a bit then paint it accordingly.

If you get your hands on a fiber optic tree, the lights could be used inside the orb. I'm thinking you could also leave some strands out to simulate the power flowing out.
I've thought about using fiber optic lights, but I hadn't thought of leaving out a few of them - such a great idea! Thanks :)

Hey lady, cool beans! So I'm not that familiar with body painting either. I was planning on doing a Maya cosplay, but ended up with, like, every other character for a con in July of this year. Long story short I ended up buying a print out PDF to scale of Maya's arm tattoo to use from another cosplayer, and I'm not going to use it now since Angel's tattoo is different. Do you want my copy of it to use for your costume? I'd just really hate for that to go to waste. (FYI - not a buy/sell offer, I'd just give it to you). I think the only downfall would having to possibly rescale the pattern to fit your arm.

Posting to see where this goes. ( Roommate is doing a steampunk Lilith and I am doing an original variant of Zer0... Kinda

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back