[WIP] Maleficent- cheek prosthetics page 5, molds of all the things in progress!

mdb

Sr Member
With the release of the latest trailers I've maybe sort of gotten besotted to a ridiculous level :)

tumblr_n65t5aEDsC1ranvixo2_500.jpg

Icarus' Workshop

10410467_10152281649315857_2373838962131326287_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/bentodan/media_set?set=a.10152281646910857.1073741861.708960856&type=1

Maleficent References | The Plain Jane Costume Chronicles
I've put most of my resources here and on Tumblr, but I wanted one single page for them on my site :)

sm_DSC_0203-300x198.jpg sm_DSC_0205-300x198.jpg
sm_DSC_0230-300x198.jpg sm_DSC_0229-300x198.jpg sm_DSC_0239-300x198.jpg sm_DSC_0240-300x198.jpg

I'm now at the texturising stage so I'll need to hack up a silicon brush for this.

I also have plans on making her facial appliances and at least two of her actual costumes and one of my own design. I've had some sequined fabric for a few months now, intended to make a Ravenna costume from it. But now.. Now I think a gown that references dragon scales and has a high shine factor will be pretty fun :) I just keep going backwards and forwards between a c1600 style gown or a full on couture inspired gown c 1950s.

Part of making this means I need to get access to my head cast or recast my face and ears. I may have to do the latter as my head cast has a Silurian headpiece covering it!

Attachments

• tumblr_n65t5aEDsC1ranvixo2_500.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 120
    123.3 KB · Views: 122
    123.3 KB · Views: 127
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Maleficent costume, all of them? Maaaaayyybe...

That's quite cool. I want to do something similar, I found a site where I can purchase some horns (They're made of fabric and they can be repositioned and moved, so that isn't a problem). How are you going to do the cowl? That's a problem I'm having right now is trying to find an easy (And a relatively non-expensive way) of doing it.

Working on these too, this might be of interest, especially for positioning of the horns.

[img=https://scontent-a-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/1510771_418416388260861_252094484_n.jpg]

Attachments

• 1510771_418416388260861_252094484_n.jpg
    1510771_418416388260861_252094484_n.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 2,338

You may notice in the background I have already scaled those horns up to life size :) I've just gone and made a texture tool, in the photo it is still nice and shiny but I have since scraped it on concrete and brick to soften and smooth some of the lines:
wpid-DSC_2904.jpg wpid-DSC_2902.jpg

Yesterday I picked up enough faux leather for the hem of the gown, it's still too heavy for the head wraps but great for the collar and hem. And some crepe back satin. The original is a dense silk with a hand close to duchesse satin but with a rippled surface. The type of silk is not mentioned but I've been looking in to traditional techniques and it does look a bit like this:
Pictures - Arashi Shibori is a Japanese fabric dyeing technique - Ft. Myers Galleries | Examiner.com
Arashi shibori. But that one grey and black fabric is the only one I've seen with that ripple rather than crinkled pattern- which may be down to the thickness of the fabric.

I grabbed the crepe back satin as I want the richness of satin without mega dead dino shine. Once washed and possibly with a crinkle overlay this will work. Ther eis one view desperately needed- of her back. The rest of her gowns have great back views this one... not so much.

I also found a lovely reference of the costume at D23- another set of images anyway :) Will add them to my reference list :) But they are here:
https://d23.com/maleficent-casts-spell-d23-member-event/
The front view is about the same as seen before but the side back view helps with shape of the headpieces and the robes.

So now to go listen to all the broadway musicals and start texturing. And possibly tidying as I have Elsa, Elissa and maleficent and Madame Vastra pieces all over the place!

Video of adding texture to the horns and also different views on how the look, they have a slight sabre shape which allows for the horns to have a really deep base while looking fairly narrow at the front.

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks awesome, especially the texture. I have had a few thoughts about doing this costume also one day.

Very cool. How are you planning on mounting them to your head?

Thank you both :)

Magnets! Though more specifically a frame for my head under a wig cap and wig then magnets in the horns. The oval shape at the base should offer control on the angle of each if I use two.

For the fully encased horn wrapped versions there may be a few tweaks.

The horn bases will need to be shaped to fit so a spot of sanding and maybe a fitted rest in latex will help.

Hoping like mad children will like her as I generally to a Special Children's Christmas party. From experience princesses go over well. So it may have to be Elsa for that one :)

But for conventions, this is going to be fun :)

Thank you FANGS :) I really think we need to green screen ourselves in to a selfie ;)

I do have yes :) Just found them. You know when you organise and tidy and think you have everything categorised well.. and then.. nope? My magnets were in the sort of right place as in a shelf for "fastenings" but they are all buckles and such.

I had though I'd put it with the electronic greeblie pile, but it does make more sense to not have them near speakers or little chips and such ;)

Anyway. I have a big pile of gorgeous crepe rayon. I have a nice length in case I ever go and make a stunt Hindi Wedding Gown. But I have enough left over to tint to make the pale tunics she has with wings. Wings at our cons are kind of... well there is not much room. At all. From the line to get in to the line to get out. Except towards the end of the day.. I suppose.

Anyway, I also like the idea of making the wing stumps over full wings for the emotional effect.

My wool is tempting me to be the simpler comfier robes from the wall of thorns creation so I'll have to see how much it really will take. The fabric is 150cm (60") wide so I should have enough to do something properly historic as well. And hunt out the fur for the hems.

Progress! Aside from nerding out over a few new reference images (about to add them to a previous post on my blog, linked at the top there) I have been molding the horns. So far there is a thick layer of silicone caulking, about three layers, including one with fibreglass matting to help stabilise, and now a flange and a few buttons for the yet to be made fibreglass jacket to lock around.
DSC_0253.JPGDSC_0251.JPG

I've done a flange as silicone is prone to not holding shape, no matter how many keys you add, so my keys for this have undercuts and the seam is re-enforced so I can bolt/peg through the jacket and silicone at the same time. Hopefully the silicone will lock in place this way

sm_DSC_0281.JPGsm_DSC_0280.JPGsm_DSC_0279.JPG

I bought 20m of firm test fabric. It's a little too firm, I mean it doesn't have the full stretch I'll wind up with in the finished gown :)

Still got to do the train and collar then the other side and try it on :)

sm_DSC_0267.JPGsm_DSC_0273.JPGsm_DSC_0270.JPGsm_DSC_0268.JPG

And this is the process I use for full length gowns with a lot of flare. I start with a tube of fabric pinned across the shoulders and then start pinching and pinning to fit the curves. To help I have three sets of shoulder pads (shoulders bust and hips) so I have some squish like on a real body.he

sm_DSC_0282.JPG sm_DSC_0283.JPG sm_DSC_0286.JPG sm_DSC_0290.JPG

That train... don't ask me about that train.. It's more than 3m from shoulder to hem..

I have my fabric. It is called "predator." I think this is perfect. However due to all the bias I am having to be very careful with placing on fabric. I've already had to switch it up and now am trying to plot it all again. Oh help me.

I have the entire gown laid out on my fabric. 10.3m is just barely enough and I may have to do a little shuffling and refitting.

But yay, I have fabric so close to perfect and it is heavy enough to not need lining though I still will. Cutting is tomorrow as it is dark now.

But a hint for layout on the bias: fold fabric in half end to end. Also draw fabric direction on the pattern pieces. This is standard but incredibly vital.

So I'll attempt to get a photo of the cutting process and even attempt to lay the whole half piece out on the carpet. Ahahahah. Ehem. But seriously it'll help me be able to smooth the fabric down to make sure my layout is good. As everything is on the bias it winds up skewing a little.

This looks great so far! Your draping process is fascinating. I'm a flat-patterner through-and-through, so I love to watch people who can think in 3D. I can't wait to see how this project progresses. Just subscribed!

Thank you :) I love drafting and I did mentally block it. I'd probably have been better off blocking the waist down and draping the upper and then joining the two. I'd recommend that anyway ;) Just given the amount of fabric to handle with no support.

Just needing to cut the lining and then I can start overlocking and putting parts together. I grabbed a photo of the layout. 5m of fabric across the entire lounge area for a few hours today. Nothing to say "this space is mine" like covering it in pins and creepy fabric!

Just having a short rest before uploading and yeah, too happy about all this to hoard on to the progress :) I can't wait to be able to show the fabric off :) It has the same ripple effect but it does have the occasional floating warp to bisect them into almost scales. Which I thought was a nice nod to the whole "imma turn into drgaon" thing she should do (depending on the final edit- so many re herrings out there!)

MDB your work is amazing! The texture tool work so well and gives a perfect look, I can not wait to see how they cast out.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back