Madeinsocal6's 2013 Halloween Costume Contest Entry.

madeinsocal6

To begin I'd like to give a little background on how I began this build.

My GF, 3yr old son and I were in a Barnes and Nobles movie section and I came across the Season 1 DVD if the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. The DVD was on sale so I took it home, I started watching with my son and he of course loved it.

Zack (Black Ranger) became his favorite ranger. My son likes Zack the most because of the Hip Hop Kido and the fact he dances when he fights. When it came time to start working on a costume for my son I asked him what he wanted to be. He of course said he wanted to be the Black Power Ranger and do the build began:

I have built a proton pack in the past as well as a PKE meter and a few other props but never did quite document most if it. I consider my skill level to be moderate. I do have a lot of experience with working with all tools and am quite handy so building things isn't much of a challenge, the biggest issue for me is finding time to work in props.

Anyway, back to the build:
I searched online quite s bit to find all the reference photos and builds of black ranger costumes I could find. I also joined the rangerboard. The first thing I needed was a suit for my son. This I actually bought from a member on the rangerboard but I did have to provide the measurements and measuring and 3 1/2yr old is no laughing matter. Herd is a picture if the suit:
asuqu8a6.jpg

nyqu6equ.jpg

Here is the first test fitting if the suit:
yba8e3y7.jpg

I decided to make the cuffs, boots, belt and blaster holder out of craft foam. I just bought the foam from michaels and used spray plasti-dip to spray the foam and make it more durable. I don't have many pictures of this process but here is a picture of the layout for the boot prior to the plasti- dip:
ytarujug.jpg

The cuffs were pretty much the same layout.

Once I had one cuff made and one boot cover it was time for another test fit:
yha4ysa7.jpg

I then began on the helmet. I used pepakura and downloaded a pdo file I found for the black ranger helmet. I found the file here on the RPF, I believe it was made by dung beetle (correct me if I'm wrong).

3ybagu9u.jpg

ane9y9u6.jpg

Beginning on the horns:
9a3evyha.jpg

I'll be posting a bit more detailed information on the belt and blaster holster. The helmet is also a work in progress so I'll post additional updates on that.

Thanks for looking.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back