Lady Sif progress (and plasti-dip help, please!)

graciefox

Hey guys, first post and still trying to figure this out. I wanted to share my progress on my Lady Sif costume that I'm putting together for D*C, and get some help, if I could. Here's the costume, for those of you who aren't familiar with the movie Thor:

Thor-2011-thor-2011-26135272-1920-816.jpg

I'm making the armor out of 4/2 mm EVA foam, sealing it with plasti dip, and then painting it from there. So far, the construction has gone really well for this being my first time playing with armor. Here's a few pics of just part of it, far from finished. (sorry for the size, I had to pull them off my tumblr)

tumblr_m5ob02yldy1r4ucl6o1_250.jpg

tumblr_m5ob02yldy1r4ucl6o2_250.jpg

I also made the leggings and am in the process of modifying some boots (not the same ones pictured with the leggings) to get the tiered, armored look.

tumblr_m4v2lq9yvJ1r4ucl6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_m1g6bkVhnu1r4ucl6o4_250.jpg

I have a lot more progress pictures, especially of the sword...but for now, my main reason for posting is that I have a question. I took a piece of my armor today and using plasti-dip out of a spray can, gave it just one layer to test it out. Well, the plasti-dip gave it a horrible, almost linty, rough texture. Not at all what I expected. It almost chewed up the foam in a way. Anyone ever had this happen before? Bad spray can? Bad form? Will the texture go away with more coats - or should I try to backtrack and seal it with paint on plasti dip instead?

It might be bad form or the can isn't mixed enough (shake the heck out of it). If you are too far away from the piece, the spray can dry mid air leaving a rough texture. Try wiping it down with mineral spirits. Plasti-dip has a self leveler, so multiple coats could smooth it out.

Thanks - I've got some new plasti-dip on the way, so I'll try that once it gets here, to see if it makes a difference. You think I should wipe the piece down with mineral spirits that I've already done a layer on? Or before I lay down any spray on a new piece?

appears you are geeting a chemical reaaction betwenn the foam and plasti-dip another way is go to your local auto paint store and get some flexible Sem primer and or paint to make your base. PLastii dip seem to hold on and stay smoothe over Sem paint at least for me

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back