Kai, Lloyd & Zane from Ninjago: child's costume thread

Re: Child's Costume: Kai from Ninjago

I'm so happy I found this thread!!! I am also making a Lloyd Garmedon costume for my lil ninja. So far I've bought a white gi. Dying it green with Dylon fabric dye (Amazon Green). For the armor, I'll be using these carboard shoe inserts that I got from a kids shoe store. I'll post a pic.... and going the t-shirt route for the headgear, SOOO EXCITED!!
Oh, the cardboard shoe inserts are so smart! I assume they come in different sizes? I might have to look into that! I tried making my own armor using craft foam and duct tape, they turned out okay but not perfect. Did you just ask the shoestore for the inserts, or buy them somewhere?

Oh, the cardboard shoe inserts are so smart! I assume they come in different sizes? I might have to look into that! I tried making my own armor using craft foam and duct tape, they turned out okay but not perfect. Did you just ask the shoestore for the inserts, or buy them somewhere?

Thanks!! Yeah, they come in different sizes. I bought some shoes last week for my son and when I took out the insert the first thing I thought of was Ninjago armor!!... a total lightbulb moment!!! hehehe I went back the following day and the manager was kind enough to donate a few more.

BTW, your headgear piece looks GREAT!!!

Thinking of using washers for the silver looking accents on Lloyd's gi.... not sure though... I'm torn between the round one, toothed one, and square one (which i can turn to its side for a diamond shape).. any other suggestions? Thanks!

Outstanding costume. Coincidentlly my son wants to be the same thing. Thanks for paving the way.

I like the square washer the best, but it might be hard to attach. Are you going to sew it on, or glue it? I found silver star sequins at Joann's, so I'm going to sew them on with black thread and say its close enough. I would have loved to have found silver square buttons (and might still check out etsy), but the sequins were cheap and easy.

Oh, and if you want the image of the serpent on the back of Lloyd's costume, I scaled it up to print onto an iron on transfer - I'd be happy to email you a copy :)

I like the square washer the best, but it might be hard to attach. Are you going to sew it on, or glue it? I found silver star sequins at Joann's, so I'm going to sew them on with black thread and say its close enough. I would have loved to have found silver square buttons (and might still check out etsy), but the sequins were cheap and easy.

Oh, and if you want the image of the serpent on the back of Lloyd's costume, I scaled it up to print onto an iron on transfer - I'd be happy to email you a copy :)

I was hoping I could glue them. I found some metal square buttons on etsy but that one seller only had 4. Looked into silver rivets as well. They are very easy to put on, but it may look too punk. Here's the link...

THANK YOU!!! I'd love a copy of the serpent... my email is barbara.dalerta@gmail.com

http://www.etsy.com/listing/107232431/200pcs-516-inch8mm-silver-pyramid-studs

Last edited:

For all those little silver squares, and to get the exact size you need, I would get a sheet or two of sticky back art foam and either spray paint it silver, cut it into squares, and use the adhesive to stick it on and hold it in position then sew it down with a heavy black thread in a big needle.......
or you could stick the foam down to a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, cut it into squares and sew them on with the heavy black thread and big needle.
It would be light weight and not pokey-jabby like studs or buttons......but if you go with studs or buttons or sequins be sure to check the sizes 7 and 8 mm of the two items posted is very small, 1/4 inch!

Could be accomplished many ways, any kind of foil or foil paper glued to anything else that would stiffen it, craft foam, plastic, cardboard......cut in to squares and sewed on.

Shylaah

Last edited:

Ah, good idea! I actually saw sparkly silver sticky back craft foam at Michaels. Or I bought silver duct tape at Michaels today, so I could put duct tape on craft foam if I don't want sparkly silver. I think you're right, this will be easier!

For all those little silver squares, and to get the exact size you need, I would get a sheet or two of sticky back art foam and either spray paint it silver, cut it into squares, and use the adhesive to stick it on and hold it in position then sew it down with a heavy black thread in a big needle.......
or you could stick the foam down to a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil, cut it into squares and sew them on with the heavy black thread and big needle.
It would be light weight and not pokey-jabby like studs or buttons......but if you go with studs or buttons or sequins be sure to check the sizes 7 and 8 mm of the two items posted is very small, 1/4 inch!

Could be accomplished many ways, any kind of foil or foil paper glued to anything else that would stiffen it, craft foam, plastic, cardboard......cut in to squares and sewed on.

Shylaah

Thank you Shylaah!!! All of your ideas are great!!! Loving the sticky art foam/spray paint idea. Thank u! :thumbsup

So I tried to find those cardboard shoe inserts this afternoon, but no luck finding any at the nearby mall :( I took your other idea of using a plastic cup, and I think it worked out quite well! I cut out the shapes I wanted and then used a hot glue gun to glue some thick craft foam to the bottom, to give it some extra thickness. The cup helped the craft foam keep the curved shape surprisingly well. Then I covered them in silver duct tape and used hot glue gun to glue each piece together. For my first attempt, I think it turned out pretty good! Each layer isn't as thick as it is on the Ninjago characters, but I think it looks good on my son's shoulder. My plan is to put some velcro on the bottom part, and then velcro on the shoulders of my son's gi, and hopefully it will work well at keeping the piece in place.

20120924_6927.jpg

20120924_6928.jpg

I dyed the gi today - it didn't turn out as great as I would have liked, mainly because the fabric for the head piece dyed darker than the gi (despite them both being 100% cotton). I maybe have to head back to the fabric store to see if I can find a green fabric that matches the gi better. The fabric for the head piece is supposed to match the main body and pants, but it actually looks closer to the darker arms and belt (which I dyed separately with a dark green dye). Anyways, what do you think of the stars on the outfit? They aren't a perfect match to Lloyd, as they aren't square - but these would be easy to quickly sew on. Not sure if I'll just use them or use craft foam covered in silver duct tape...

20120925_6930.jpg

I love how you dyed the sleeves a darker shade. How do you do that without the dark green bleeding into the lighter parts? As for the stars, you may want to try and do the foam squares & spray paint... mainly because the shape will be more accurate and since they will be larger than the stars you currently have, you will have to sew less! :) I bet your son is very excited!! I'll be working on it this weekend... along with my daughter's Wonder Woman costume! :ninja

I just made a darker green dye and dipped the sleeves into it. It didn't bleed much, pretty much as good as I hoped for! I wasn't sure how it would work, so I got lucky ;) I do wish I had left them in the dark green dye longer - I only did it about 5 minutes per side, as they looked quite dark, but it faded a bit with washing. But my main concern is getting the head piece to match - not sure why it dyed darker, it was treated exactly the same.

Anyways! Can't wait to see your progress this weekend! And Wonder Woman too, that sounds awesome too!

The Lloyd costume is done (I think)! Overall, I'm pretty happy with it - I used velcro a lot to hold pieces on or together, so I'm hoping it lasts okay. I stuck with the silver stars, as that's what DS wanted. I'm not sure if I should add some stars to the bottom of the shirt - Lloyd does have them there, but I'd have to run out and buy more stars, and it's not that visible behind the belt. I'm also thinking about drawing some lines under the stars in the rib area, just like Lloyd has - but I'm worried it would look silly. Anyways, feel free to leave feedback if you think there are things I should change/add :) He'll be wearing it to Legoland this weekend - I'm going to see if I can convince him to enter the costume contest ;)

41DQZBlf71L._SL500_SS500_.jpg

AlexanderLloydFront_zps7e599e3a.jpg

AlexanderLloydBack_zps25125203.jpg

Looks AWESOME! Man, I gotta hurry and finish MINE!

How did you do the snake on the back?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back