Jessetattoo's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry - new memeber

Jessetattoo

First off Iv been a fan of Stan Sakai's Usagi Yojimbo comics since i was a kid in the 80's and have started re-reading them all this year. And i had started a costume for a con, and half way thru decided that i wanted to make a comic style Usagi costume as close to Stan sakai's drawings as i could get, now keep in mind im very new to making costumes.

I wish i had taken more pics of my process, but here is what i have...
View attachment 343800 9577.jpg
First off I hand sewn some 3fingers gloves outa white fleece and used green hockey tape to make my old wallhanger swords fit the bill.
View attachment 343778View attachment 343804
Then i used a foam head with clay and masking take to bulk out the shapes, then covered it all in plaster cast strips and hotglued more fleece and used oil pens for details, ears are foam mat strips covered in fleece.
View attachment 343779View attachment 343780View attachment 343782View attachment 343783
I looked all over for a blue kimono with no luck, i decided to make my own, and with no pattern just looking at what others have done online eyeballed it and im very happy with how it turned out. always was hard to find the correct fabric but i did find some.
View attachment 343801View attachment 343803
The hakama (pants) i bought online. and made the sandals out of some cheap walmart ones. painted a water bottle to look like a bamboo one, and did the belt outa a marital arts belt, all hotglue and Velcro to keep it all in place. I did have a fan rigged into the head as it got hot fast, but not 10mins into the con the battery pack fell out and broke. so it was a VERY HOT CON lol
View attachment 343810View attachment 343809View attachment 343799

I want to shout out to Stan Sakai (such a nice guy) who helped me with a few minor details getting it right. AND you can see a pic of my costume in the next USAGI YOJIMBIO COLOR SPECIAL COMIC, Out this july 2014. :) this was a blast and i plan on wearing it more.
View attachment 343808View attachment 343802

here is the pic i took today at my tattoo shop with the real folded swords i had made, oct31,2014
103114.jpg
not a new member my bad. i thought i had joined nov 2013 not 2012... ah how time flys

Last edited:
Most of your attached pics aren't showing. Can you try and re-upload them please?

This entry still needs a proof pic and a gallery pic.

Hey Jesse, I find it easier to just use the 'Insert Image' icon (3rd from left) and upload a photo from your computer.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back