Ironman Costume for 5yr old - LINKS on PAGE 1 - tips & important bits

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Progress Report 10/17

hey indiefilmgeek. I have been following this thread way longer then I have been a member..I gotta say this is freaking AWESOME. You are a freaking master at costuming. Your son looks awesome in the iron man suit. I especially love the way the under suit is looking. Its hard to even tell its not made from foam and blends in very well. Great work!!

WOW!... Mikey looked really really cool!:love:thumbsup

I bet it would be awesome to see a short film/video of mikey as ironboy (similar to the Ironbaby vid on youtube)... kinda like an indiefilm:love (less the "geek";))

I love every part of your build:love

cheers!

Loving the build, I'm about to make my first costume (Ironman) and have learned so much from reading this thread! Your kids are so cute and I bet they think their Dad is the biggest superhero for making them such great costumes! Can't wait to see the finished product!

I love seeing your work coming together. Its so dang inspirational. All I can say is Thanks for sharing (y)thumbsup

Thank you all for your encouragement and kind words! This forum has been one of the best online experiences I've ever had. The community, cooperation and creativity displayed here is second to none. I'm a very proud to be a member of this amazing group of people.

Also of note... I spent the last few days with over 50 of our theatre managers doing some IMAX training, I got several chances to act as an ambassador for RPF over those days.

As some of you are aware, I work in film marketing for my theatre chain and as our managers asked about how to really ramp up their IMAX movie openings, I made sure to mention this forum and the FANTASTIC job our members do in re-creating Hollywood-quality costumes and props.

I'd love to see some of our theatre managers begin to reach out to folks here so they can take advantage of the awesome costumed characters created here on the forum during their opening weekend events! :love

And now for a bit of costume updates...

CHEST PIECE:

Don't think I mentioned this earlier, but I've been going back and getting some of the detail work done on some of the pieces I've finished building.

Here is the gold details on the chest...

6262602196_0b181e5bfe.jpg

I also added the velcro connection points for the arm armor.

As I've diagrammed earlier, this is a made up of a canvas strap that's hot glued to the shoulder section of the chest armor. That strap is sewn to a short section of elastic. And then that elastic is sewn to a strip of velcro. On the arm side of things, the other half of the velcro is hot glued to the upper edge of the arm armor.

The goal of this is to allow an adjustable tension connection over the shoulder to keep the arm armor in place while Mikey is trick-or-treating.

Here are some pics of it...

This is a picture of the strap-elastic-velcro piece coming off the shoulder section of the chest armor.
6262598858_f3535f8859.jpg

and here is the very simple velcro piece attached to the arm pieces...
6262600344_cba4b4a843.jpg

We test-fit this (quickly) tonight and it seemed to work. :):thumbsup

BOOTS:

WIFE: "So, you're gonna take those very nice painted boots and completely crap them up?!"

ME: "Yep." :lol

Freshly painted...
6262597524_56ec8828ca.jpg

After Black-washing (which I really need to post a tutorial on at some point)...
6262069909_26b4e21cfe.jpg

And finally what the look like after a bit of Rub-n-Buff...
6262064719_c26d650196.jpg

LEG ARMOR:

First off, I needed to add even more room at the top of the thigh pieces. So, I split them open on the inside of the legs and added some elastic. This should allow them to fit properly and still provide a bit more comfort for Mikey. I'd say this gives him an extra inch easily and at max expansion maybe a bit more than 2inches.

Here's the inside and outside view of the 'expansion joint' I added to the thigh armor:

Inside...
6262583492_4782fc2981.jpg

Outside...
6262588410_96c821f50c.jpg

And since I had the weathering stuff out I also tackled the legs...

Here is what the legs and boots look like together:
6262580580_bd2b80acff.jpg

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Progress Report 10/20

This has turned out so great. The Rub N buff gives it a sweet worn look. :)

LEG ARMOR:

First off, I needed to add even more room at the top of the thigh pieces. So, I split them open on the inside of the legs and added some elastic. This should allow them to fit properly and still provide a bit more comfort for Mikey. I'd say this gives him an extra inch easily and at max expansion maybe a bit more than 2inches.

Here's the inside and outside view of the 'expansion joint' I added to the thigh armor:

Inside...
6262583492_4782fc2981.jpg

Outside...
6262588410_96c821f50c.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a good idea. How did you glue the elasitic? just hot glue alone?

Yeah, it's just hot glue, but I apply it normally and then follow that up by adding a couple re-enforcing beads of hot glue across the top of the elastic (starting beyond the strap so the glue has a good hold on the inside of the armor, travels across the elastic and then past it to create another strong anchor to the armor on the other side).

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Suiting Mikey Up! 10/6

I've bought up all the red plasti-dip in Knoxville, so I had to finish off this project with a can of black. It will be fine once I hit it with the adhesive promoter and red auto paint! :):thumbsup

The Ace Hardware Bearden Hills, just off Kingston Pike, still had several cans of the Red spray Plastidip. I grabbed all the white, black, and clear cans, but I actually thought about your armor and left the red. :cool

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Suiting Mikey Up! 10/6

The Ace Hardware Bearden Hills, just off Kingston Pike, still had several cans of the Red spray Plastidip. I grabbed all the white, black, and clear cans, but I actually thought about your armor and left the red. :cool

When I first went looking for the stuff the Halls Crossroads ACE had 1 can of the stuff. Since I kept buying it, they now carry two cans black, white, clear and red. Between me and you, we're going to completely change-up their computer inventory program... Soon, they will be carrying ten cans each and wondering what the heck is going on! :lol

I don't know if you addressed this earlier (I couldn't find it) but did you choose to use red plasti-dip for a particular reason or was it just preference?

I don't know if you addressed this earlier (I couldn't find it) but did you choose to use red plasti-dip for a particular reason or was it just preference?

Just easier to coat with the final red auto paint (which means fewer coats and less paint cans).

I also sometimes cheat on the edges and only give them a light dusting of the final red paint. Since I ended up weathering those edges with some black latex fabric paint anyway it's not noticable. And having less auto enamel on those edges allows more flexibility with less cracking.

daym i wish we had red plasti-dip available in my area, amazing work as usual indie.

Jonathan... you're too good... the fact that this is so awesome, plus the Cyclops and Murloc costumes.... too much awesome!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back