Ironman Costume for 5yr old - LINKS on PAGE 1 - tips & important bits

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Suiting Mikey Up! 10/6

I've been following your thread everyday... we're both trying to beat the clock! We've only got a couple more weeks, man! :eek

P.S. Stunning photo-work, my friend! I wish you lived closer - I'd hire you to get some pictures of Mikey's suit! :):thumbsup

Thanks, Nick. Although I think I'm done with Ironman suits for a while after this one. :lol

thx man wish i could take pics of your son, you've done a great build.

Btw how are you keeping the legs portion and arm pieces from falling off?

how are you keeping the legs portion and arm pieces from falling off?

That's a very good question... And to be honest, I haven't tackled it yet. :unsure

My PLAN for the arms is to attach (with plastic clips and straps) the outside/top of the arm armor under the shoulder plate to the the underside of the chest/back shoulder piece (which originally comes from the back pep piece).

This solves two issues I'm having right now... It keeps the arm armor in place... and it also applies a bit of tension to the shoulder/neck area - which should pull it wider around Mikey's neck (it's just a shade too tight for him to be 100% comfortable with).

The one thing I'm toying with is how much ELASTIC to add... I want to put a section into the strap so that when Mikey's arm is raised, the strap isn't slack... But also not too much elastic that would make lowering his arm serious work. I guess it will be a balancing act.

For the legs... the plan is to attach the thigh piece to the cod piece along the outer side of Mikey's leg. This should hold the leg unit up, but should also give me a place to attach the hip pod (right to the strap). so it's stays in place between the cod piece and thigh armor without having to be physically attached it to the underarmor or other suit pieces. However, by tying the leg armor to the cod piece, that means I won't be able to just let the cod piece hover without straps (which it currently does). So, I'd have to create 'suspenders' for the cod piece so it stays up - and therefore the legs would stay up.

Here's a quick sketch of the plan...

6230864912_c9a9af2959.jpg

This has been something I've been delaying dealing with... but probably the very next thing I have to do. :confused

As I'm working through it, I'll definitely keep the thread updated!

For my son's halo spartan I have been using velco (because I had it on hand) and friction for the arms and legs. I built it form fitting (almost too small :confused) and he is wearing sweats so the pieces don't move when slid on. I think the elastic will work great for Mikey and still give him a good range of motion.

For my son's halo spartan I have been using velco (because I had it on hand) and friction for the arms and legs. I built it form fitting (almost too small :confused) and he is wearing sweats so the pieces don't move when slid on. I think the elastic will work great for Mikey and still give him a good range of motion.

Good point! I've seen some good use of velcro (usually one half sewn to the underarmor and the other attached to the armor piece). However, in Mikey's case, I'm just afraid that will just pull the thin and stretchy underarmor out of position.

Since I also have some velcro sitting around, I should probably go ahead and test that out first. IF that works, it would be a LOT less work than creating all these straps.

Heck, if it doesn't work I'm not out that much time or expense! :):thumbsup

From the looks of your picture you drew I don't think you would need to sew it to the under armor if you used velcro. For instance with the cod and thigh. Attach the hook side on the bottom of the cod facing out. Attach the loop side on the inside of thigh loops facing in. This way they meet and connect but are not connected to under armor. I use hot glue in addition to the 3m tape on the velcro. The only challenge will be mounting to hooks to the armor. Hot glue works but with the foam maybe something else is required. Also if you do the hooks facing out leave the plastic on the 3m side of the velcro so it doesn't stick to Mikey's leg. Also you might need to do something with the 3m side of the loops where it doesn't attach to the leg. Some cloth or something, or just spray paint the plastic film. Hope this makes sense, it did in my mind lol.

I like what I see in your sketch. I'll be keeping an eye on your methods cause I'm also working on mine.

That's a very good question... And to be honest, I haven't tackled it yet. :unsure

My PLAN for the arms is to attach (with plastic clips and straps) the outside/top of the arm armor under the shoulder plate to the the underside of the chest/back shoulder piece (which originally comes from the back pep piece).

This solves two issues I'm having right now... It keeps the arm armor in place... and it also applies a bit of tension to the shoulder/neck area - which should pull it wider around Mikey's neck (it's just a shade too tight for him to be 100% comfortable with).

The one thing I'm toying with is how much ELASTIC to add... I want to put a section into the strap so that when Mikey's arm is raised, the strap isn't slack... But also not too much elastic that would make lowering his arm serious work. I guess it will be a balancing act.

For the legs... the plan is to attach the thigh piece to the cod piece along the outer side of Mikey's leg. This should hold the leg unit up, but should also give me a place to attach the hip pod (right to the strap). so it's stays in place between the cod piece and thigh armor without having to be physically attached it to the underarmor or other suit pieces. However, by tying the leg armor to the cod piece, that means I won't be able to just let the cod piece hover without straps (which it currently does). So, I'd have to create 'suspenders' for the cod piece so it stays up - and therefore the legs would stay up.

Here's a quick sketch of the plan...

6230864912_c9a9af2959.jpg

This has been something I've been delaying dealing with... but probably the very next thing I have to do. :confused

As I'm working through it, I'll definitely keep the thread updated!

A word of warning on attaching the thighs to the hips: do a test run and check those hip pivot points for wear.

I used a connection-method similar to what you've described with my first-ever grand from-scratch costume build, Robocop. My connections then consisted of a leather belt with velcro hot glued to it at each end. (This seemed like that would have been "good enough" at the time, because my pieces were very light: posterboard with a layer of craft foam and then a layer of thin plastic on top..)

The constant torque on the pivot point (from my legs moving forward and back all the time) caused each hip to fail after an hour or two of wear. A friend happened to have some rivets handy and helped save the day for me back then.

the suit looks great on mikey!!! such a lucky kid!!!!!!

A word of warning on attaching the thighs to the hips: do a test run and check those hip pivot points for wear.

I used a connection-method similar to what you've described with my first-ever grand from-scratch costume build, Robocop. My connections then consisted of a leather belt with velcro hot glued to it at each end. (This seemed like that would have been "good enough" at the time, because my pieces were very light: posterboard with a layer of craft foam and then a layer of thin plastic on top..)

The constant torque on the pivot point (from my legs moving forward and back all the time) caused each hip to fail after an hour or two of wear. A friend happened to have some rivets handy and helped save the day for me back then.

Excellent point!

New idea I had last night... Let me know what you all think.

A strap from the cod piece (outside hip-side) goes down the outside of the leg to a metal ring. That metal ring is attached to the hip pod at two points - which lets the hip pod rotate around with the metal ring as bending and rotating movement happens. Another strap comes off this ring and connects to the top (outside edge) of the thigh armor completing the rig.

6234696582_e6783945f5.jpg

This should allow you to rotate your hip, while keeping the hip pod (generally) in the right place, because the straps can slide around the ring. The hip pod can actually rotate forward or backward to allow the straps to stay in decent proximity to the other armor pieces.

Now, this isn't perfect (by any means) but I wonder if it's better than my non-ring version I was planning on for Mikey's suit.

Thought???

The ring idea seems like a good one. The one thing I would be concerned with would be the hip pod mounting. If the mounting method interferes with the straps movement you could have issues. From your images I see what looks like two posts on the ring for the pod to mount to. That seems like a good method.

As for attaching the legs, I use a set of suspenders attached to a belt and run elastic straps up the front of the thigh armor where it velcros around the belt with teeth of the suspenders grabing where elastic strap velcroes to belt. The straps were hot glued and duct taped down inside of the thigh armor. The armor is heavy fiberglass and plastic so it has some weight to it. You put the suspenders/belt then legs on first. I have worn my suit for 4 hours at a time without incident. With your suit being much lighter, this would work just fine. Thanks and incredible build.

Paul

My hip pods are attached to top/sides of the thighs so they move as thighs move.

My hip pods are attached to top/sides of the thighs so they move as thighs move.

Do you think attaching them to the cod piece would work? With them attached to the thighs do they change position quite noticeably?

I would think if they are attached to the cod piece the movement of the pods might be minimized.

Other issues might come up though. Not sure how sitting would be affected.

As for attaching the legs, I use a set of suspenders attached to a belt and run elastic straps up the front of the thigh armor where it velcros around the belt with teeth of the suspenders grabing where elastic strap velcroes to belt. The straps were hot glued and duct taped down inside of the thigh armor. The armor is heavy fiberglass and plastic so it has some weight to it. You put the suspenders/belt then legs on first. I have worn my suit for 4 hours at a time without incident. With your suit being much lighter, this would work just fine. Thanks and incredible build.

Paul

I think this is one of the methods of how the TMP armor is strapped. Looks like similar color straps as the under armour is used too for a seamless effect. I don't have the link to his photo albums, but I know he had some diagrams on there on how the suit is strapped.

I'm new to posting on this site but a lurker...Having tried that ring type method in the past for something similar in nature, the metal ring wouldn't "slide" well through the material.

With your thought of the ring, this creates a sliding effect, and the friction between them causes a force that tends to restrict movement. But if the two surfaces can roll over each other, the friction is greatly minimized.

What if instead, you used a quick disconnect key chain type design that is meant to freely rotate?

I have one of these and it puts up with a surprising amount of force. And even better, would allow a quick disconnect of components when used elsewhere.

Here is an example:

keychain.jpg

You could even use a thicker "key ring" for added strength.

This keychain method allows pivoting front back, left and right, as it can fully rotate 360' plus spin freely. (And did I mention the quick disconnect!)

Just my 2 ¢

Love your project, and motivation!

Last edited:

A bit of progress last night...

RIGGING:
For anyone looking to use nylon straps with plastic connectors, I would pleased to discover a GREAT source while watching THIS youtube tutorial on simple foam costuming for cosplay.

As mentioned in this tutorial, WALMART has these straps and clips CHEAP! But you have to look in the CAMPING supply area. I'd always found more expensive ones in the craft area, but last night I was able to buy out all three packages of plastic clips (x2 per container - so SIX 1" plastic clips total) for less than $2 (58 cents each per package!).

6239886216_a5ba348aa7.jpg

I haven't mounted them yet, but I took measurements and even cut some straps and stitched the permanent connection side together on two of them so I'm ready to make some suspenders for Mikey's cod piece tonight!

LEG ARMOR PROGRESS:
I don't think I'm posted a picture of how the legs came out after weathering them a bit. I haven't added the rub-n-buff 'battle damage' yet, but I think they look MUCH better with a bit of blackwashing.

6239368941_b244f79a46.jpg

BOOTS UPDATE:
And finally, I got around to building up the second boot top and then hit both boot tops with several coats of plasti-dip.

6239886410_7b93949a35.jpg

Yes, yes, I know they're black. I've bought up all the red plasti-dip in Knoxville, so I had to finish off this project with a can of black. It will be fine once I hit it with the adhesive promoter and red auto paint! :):thumbsup

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Leg/Boots/Rigging 10/13

damn!!! so so good!!!! i really need to try and just have a go at finishing the war machine helmet i started for my 3 (now 4yrs old) year old son last year :(

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back