Ironman Costume for 5yr old - LINKS on PAGE 1 - tips & important bits

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Legs PAINTED! 10/6

You don't even know how informative, useful, and amazing your build is for other members and lurkers lol. Your detailed progress is sure to help me when I start my build. Most definitely.

Thank you for that

Home stretch!

You don't even know how informative, useful, and amazing your build is for other members and lurkers lol. Your detailed progress is sure to help me when I start my build. Most definitely.

Thank you for that

Home stretch!

AGREED! keep it up

So I've been following your progress religiously and this costume is amazing! I'm actually using your painting technique on my own Halloween costume, with less than favorable results. My foam pieces still look rather pockmarked when I'm finished with the colored paint. I know you were experiencing the same problem early on. How did you mange to get around it and achieve such a smooth finish on your completed pieces?

So I've been following your progress religiously and this costume is amazing! I'm actually using your painting technique on my own Halloween costume, with less than favorable results. My foam pieces still look rather pockmarked when I'm finished with the colored paint. I know you were experiencing the same problem early on. How did you mange to get around it and achieve such a smooth finish on your completed pieces?

Yep... It's tough. I found it's mostly based on how thick your coats of plasti-dip are. Too fine and it's 'pebbled'. Too thick and it creates bubbles or runs. If you can hit it in the sweet-spot you have a beautiful piece... But I miss it pretty often too - it's certainly not fool-proof. lol

Thank you ALL for the positive feed-back!!! It is a GREAT encouragement to me!

Tonight, I'm going to be early for a change, but I wanted to give you all a look at where we are right now (suited up)...

These were all taken quickly by Allison and I as Mikey was VERY tired this evening, so we knew this was going to be a very quick test-fitting!

6218552015_3f94a811f3.jpg

Flex tests:
6218445837_ebff9bfc85.jpg

6219074408_490f9a07be.jpg

Kissy-Face:
6218551973_4b50b81227.jpg

Cutest Face:
6218445161_30dabb6880.jpg

Nite All! :):thumbsup

Last edited:
Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Suiting Mikey Up! 10/6

That's absolutely incredible! I want one (In my size, obviously :lol)

Make sure you get lots of pictures for him to look back at years later.

-Nick

amazing!!! love it.. wow your such a inspiration!

I've been following your thread everyday... we're both trying to beat the clock! We've only got a couple more weeks, man! :eek

P.S. Stunning photo-work, my friend! I wish you lived closer - I'd hire you to get some pictures of Mikey's suit! :):thumbsup

That's absolutely incredible! I want one (In my size, obviously :lol)

Make sure you get lots of pictures for him to look back at years later.

Thanks, Nick. Although I think I'm done with Ironman suits for a while after this one. :lol

indie... awesome work as always... this is such an awesome build... love the Cyclops also!

Haha! Absolutely worth waiting for! He is going to be the coolest kid in town for Halloween! ;-)

Thanks Animator, Showme482 and Scandvoice! I can't wait to finish this off! :):thumbsup

indie... awesome work as always... this is such an awesome build... love the Cyclops also!

I appreciate the kind works - but I also wanted to thank you for all the work you put into your build thread. It has a HUGE list of helpful links for products, tutorials, etc that I've found a great help. I've been pointing people who ask me for reference materials over to your thread since it has SO many researched links included.

So, a BIG thank you for all your hard work and time! :):thumbsup

Thanks Animator, Showme482 and Scandvoice! I can't wait to finish this off! :):thumbsup

I appreciate the kind works - but I also wanted to thank you for all the work you put into your build thread. It has a HUGE list of helpful links for products, tutorials, etc that I've found a great help. I've been pointing people who ask me for reference materials over to your thread since it has SO many researched links included.

So, a BIG thank you for all your hard work and time! :):thumbsup

I couldn't have done it without your help and the help of others on this forum! One of the biggest complaints in the engineering company I work for is improper documentation and status reports so I thought I'd compile a list in case I ever forget how to do something. Also, so hopefully others could learn from the mistakes I make and "improve" on the documentation =P

I think I love it even more now that you have pics of Mikey in it! No wonder you went to all thsi trouble :)

I have been following this thread and this is awesome.Your kids are going to be the talk of the town!Great work!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back