Ironman Costume for 5yr old - LINKS on PAGE 1 - tips & important bits

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Foam back armor pics

Looks great Jon! Loving this build so much.

For the person who asked if this method works with full size builds... I don't think it really does.. I started this route with mine and realized that it didn't work for me.. and as many of you know I am using the same material as Jonathan is here.

My Two Cents..

LOOKS GREAT JON!

Wont he out grow it before you get done? Looks great though lol.

Wont he out grow it before you get done? Looks great though lol.

My biggest fear. :lol

I really tried to plan the build so the areas most effected by his growth would be the very last items built. At this point, we're a bit over six weeks out - so we'll be ok as long as the helmet still fits in Oct! :unsure

For the person who asked if this method works with full size builds... I don't think it really does.. I started this route with mine and realized that it didn't work for me.. and as many of you know I am using the same material as Jonathan is here.

I'd have to agree with Jordan on this. It's been much more complicated to get this to work and look good than a more traditional assembly. For my part, it's worth the effort because I will be able to get Mikey out of it ASAP if his Sensory Integration Disorder kicks in and he needs everything off in a hurry.

But for adult costumes... especially for someone who has to suit up themselves, this method isn't something that would work. The velcro seam isn't accessible by the wearer at all. And bending the combined piece to put it on, exerts much more stress on the whole assembly than what each of the separate pieces would have to endure.

So, my two cents = It works for what I'm using it for, but I don't think I'd recommend it for general IM builds.

I refuse to let my kids see any more pics of this build. They are already scheming for next year's DC! Awesome work, you are the master.

good to know i was thinking of trying it but yeah makes a lot of sense it would be ridiculous trying to get it to work with a velcro seem in the back trying to put it together on your own, hmmm i guess for a full grown person velcro on the sides would be best

I used velcro on the sides of my kid's costume. I did rip an armband because I wasn't careful, but other than that I like it. I used it for the groin piece so I could make it tight.

Last edited:

excellent work there man:thumbsup... been following this thread for quite sometime now and am one of your fan... the build procedure you are sharing here is very detailed and easy to follow... its like am attending a class each time and im an eager student eager to learn:)... the learnings i gained from your thread is really priceless...

my sincerest appreciation and gratitude

I refuse to let my kids see any more pics of this build. They are already scheming for next year's DC! Awesome work, you are the master.

I can't wait to see what you create next year! Just remember, once you've started the costuming habit - it's hard to break. :lol

excellent work there man:thumbsup... been following this thread for quite sometime now and am one of your fan... the build procedure you are sharing here is very detailed and easy to follow... its like am attending a class each time and im an eager student eager to learn:)... the learnings i gained from your thread is really priceless...

Thank you very much for the kind words. I've been following your build thread as well. Your helmet is truly stunning. I am absolutely floored by how picture-perfect it is to your screen shoots. Simply amazing work!

Oh, and I'm also a secret admirer of the lip on the IM chin from that movie image you're using. It made me very happy to see you adding it! :):thumbsup

A little bit of progress finishing up the neckline on Mikey's combined Chest, Back and Brace piece.

Here is the neckline from the front. It's glued to the shoulder parts that extend from the back, so all three pep parts are permanently affixed to each other as one combined section of armor.
6051302075_5aff753baf.jpg

...and here is the neckline from a high-angle back view.
6051302605_39bfb9c9fa.jpg

When the velcro seam is closed the back looks like this right now (it's still missing the spine piece).
6051303229_72f00b6ac9.jpg

..and when it's open, it looks like this.
6051302949_fd605d065c.jpg

To better see how it works (and looks), I took this quick video. It comes off nice and fast on an actual kid (as they can move and assist in removing it -- unlike the dummy). But you can see here that I can still get the thing off the dummy OVER the arm armor (which would naturally be removed BEFORE taking the chest off, or added AFTER the chest was on when suiting up).

Now, I just need to clean up some of the seams and then rig a wire-frame holder that will keep this beast in basic shape while I spray it with plasti-dip and then paint!

Oh, and new LED Christmas lights came in for Mikey's Arc Reactor (replacing the ones I shorted and blew up), so I'll be working on that this week as well. :):thumbsup

Looking very good, my friend... Little Mikey will be the envy of his friends for sure

Once again an ingenious solution. This build should be made into a book and published. It would be a bestseller in the Halloween category. ;-)

great job the armor looks perfect and the velcro idea will work so well on your son.

man, that is awesome, my son is only 2 but if I start now, he can wear it when he's 5

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Arc Reactor work pics

That gloss will CERTAINLY work for the helmet and any hardened pieces (but so would any clear gloss enamel.

As for your foam pieces, I'd hold off on using the gloss coat I've been using. It's workable, but still will be prone to minor cracking. GraphicJordan is in the process of testing some paint that is normally used on rubber latex Halloween masks. It's very high-gloss and TOTALLY flexible! If that works like we think it will, it will become hands-down the BEST option out there for getting glossy metal look while retaining the flexibility of the foam armor builds! :):thumbsup

any word on a workable gloss?? so the paint wont crack but this type of gloss will?? what does the cracking of the gloss look like?

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Arc Reactor work pics

any word on a workable gloss?? so the paint wont crack but this type of gloss will?? what does the cracking of the gloss look like?

I haven't heard about the latex mask paint gloss test yet (not sure if Jordan has even received it yet), but I'll show you what the hairline edge-cracking looks like so you know what to expect if you use non-latex gloss (which is traditionally very rigid).

6079261935_e45a058408.jpg

Granted, this is a VERY close-up picture and the cracking is on the thinnest and most torqued surface, but that's what you will end up with if you use a non-latex, non-flexible, High Gloss finishing coat over EVA foam that's been plasti-dipped.

Got a bit more done on the Chest and Arc Reactor yesterday! :love

The new LED light pack came in last week, so I got to work installing it.

I first opened up the holes I had made in the metal sink trap I'm using for the base of the arc reactor. This should prevent the metal edges from cutting into the wires and shorting the system (like the last time).
6078728718_0327ea54fb.jpg

I then worked my way around the arc ring, gluing two LED's in each clear area of the ring.
6078729046_05a1607fb1.jpg

With all the LED's in place I just worked the wires back, so the ring fit into the sink trap.
6078729374_57cab34787.jpg

And here's the test fit...
6078730002_4ffbfd0a9c.jpg

To support the weight of the arc reactor, I strengthened the foam hole it fits in with a hard plastic ring on the inside.
6078727588_76d170f261.jpg

...That REALLY helps out! :):thumbsup

Then I cleaned up some of the rough seams with some latex caulk and hung this piece up to be painted.
6078185907_12971cb2af.jpg

I won't lie, this was as nerve-racking as it gets for me... I mean, this is a MAJOR piece of the costume, and it would NOT be easy to re-create if I screwed it up. We're not talking about a hand-plate here. :unsure

First coats of Plasti-dip.
6078728386_58aa382298.jpg

6078727844_2704546d1d.jpg

6078186909_75942393fd.jpg

After this I applied the Adhesive Promoter and Dark Cherry Metallic auto paint. I did a little weathering last night, but I haven't painted the gold ascents, used any rub-n-buff or the 'rib' detail lines yet.

Here's what it looks like right now...
6078185169_57a1b2c335.jpg

Note: The shoulders are just set on top of the model right now, and the helmet is resting on a paper towel roll, so it looks like Ironman's neck is 3ft high!

6078726648_f3dc374c69.jpg

...and with the arc reactor on.
6078726874_e5e7bdc260.jpg

Hey Jonthan. I actually haven't ordered the gloss stuff yet.

I did however decided to use a 2 part epoxy... coat pieces with that.. then a quick layer of plasti-dip... then Krylon Fushion Gloss... results are great.. gives a nice sheen, bends, flexes with no cracking.. and if I apply it carefully I can get the blackwash look from the plasti-dip beneath it.. just need to rub and buff for damage..

I have most of the right arm painted.. hopefully will post pics tonight if not tomorrow. I got a satin aluminum and satin gold type paint also.. the whole suit will be more satin than gloss. which is how the suit appears in the film anyways.

Newest pics look great, i've been checking this thread every day for the chest piece, hehe. I would never have thought you could get such detail with foam, it's all starting to come together! How much is left to be done?

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back