Ironman Costume for 5yr old - LINKS on PAGE 1 - tips & important bits

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Chest Progress

Sorry to hear about your hard drive Jonathan :-( im sure you will be back on top of it all soon :). I do feel the same when I have nights that I dont do much, thinking what a waste but Ive learned so far a break does no harm at all, well with all my sanding im finding muscles I never knew I had ha..

Really enjoying this build :)

Sorry to hear about your hard drive Jonathan :-( im sure you will be back on top of it all soon :). I do feel the same when I have nights that I dont do much, thinking what a waste but Ive learned so far a break does no harm at all, well with all my sanding im finding muscles I never knew I had ha.. Really enjoying this build :)

Yeah, foam building is much less taxing on the muscles. I certainly don't miss all the sanding! :)

By the way, your helmet is coming along GREAT!!! Can't wait to see it finished up! :thumbsup

im loving how this is coming together indy:thumbsup
a total credit to you!!!!!!

Thanks, Fingaz! I'm shamelessly using some of your chest and back images as references. You're work is totally killer and your paint jobs are breath-taking!!!

nothing short of amazing!

It's always nice to have Tony Stark compliment your Ironman work. Thanks, Zendragon! :):thumbsup

Last edited:

A bit more done last night...

I decided to 'go rogue' and instead of building another pep of the chest to cut up into foam templates, I just started cutting up my reference build. :love

I got just a bit done, but most of the work was mental... and by that I mean I wasted an hour spinning the pep piece in my hands and staring at reference pictures trying to figure out the best way to turn those hundred paper pep pieces into a simplified chest pattern for foam. :)

Anyway, here is the first few pieces...

6004349556_35c6e19f44.jpg

I also tried to shoot a short video showing the stages (from physical paper pep model to template and then to foam). It's rougher than some of the other videos I've posted, but hopefully it shows you a bit of my technique and not just how cluttered and messy my work table is! :confused

Looks great! I am toying with the idea of filming myself while working in case anyone wanted to see my process.

I don't know why I don't get daily updates, I just caught up. I did get the new foam, haven't had a chance to play with it since my kid is out of town for the week. I need to figure out how to fill in the back of the Cyberman helmet too.

I don't know why I don't get daily updates, I just caught up. I did get the new foam, haven't had a chance to play with it since my kid is out of town for the week. I need to figure out how to fill in the back of the Cyberman helmet too.

Email me with some pictures of what you're dealing with helmet-wise -- I think I've only seen the front of it on your build thread. After taking a look I'll be happy to provide any feedback I might have.

Just a little bit more work done on the chest...

6007560920_f2bd04dc89.jpg

Next up is getting the 'rib' sections finished up and attached to the chest.

I've also started planning for the construction of the arc reactor. I'll be scratch building that too (as they don't sell one that will fit with the suit's scale). :)

It helps that I have some 1/4" thick plexiglass, a coil of thin copper wire and a string of 18 white LED Christmas lights (w battery pack) laying around. I think a strategic trip to the dollar store might provide me with the few other items I need to build up a decent looking reactor. :thumbsup

Nite all!

I discovered the PERFECT 'found item' part today for Mikey's Arc Reactor!!!

6008843075_772273247d.jpg

Kitchen Sink filter/plug @ the dollar store - PERFECT fit for the Arc Reactor shell!

Now, that I have the metal shell, I measured out the size of the clear glass ring and marked the 1/4" thick plexiglass I happen to have laying around.

6010202729_b5b887503a.jpg

Now, the actual cutting of the plexi totally perplexed me. I tried my scroll saw at first... but that didn't work. The saw blade heats the plexiglass which then cools and re-attaches to itself once the blade has passed through it. The only advantage to this is to weaken the plexi so it was possible to break sections off around the outside until I had a very rough circle shape. Some time sanding it down with my dremel rounded out the outside, but left me stuck on how to get the inside cut out.

I finally just cut the thing in half, so I could spend 30 minutes sanding out the entire inner area. NOT a recommended method for creating a clear plastic ring.

Here is the ring with the copper I'm going to use (and my spare plexi sheet which I--thankfully--didn't need to use).

6010203209_7f687ca2a3.jpg

And after wrapping only three sections, I drop the metal shell and the plexi-piece into the chest just to show you a rough fitting of the two pieces.

6010752658_0aa5e85262.jpg

Still looks a LOT like a sink plug, but I promise it will be much more arc reactor than sink plug when I'm done! :):thumbsup

Have a good evening folks - I'm out!

Re: WIP Ironman Costume for 5yr old - Arc Reactor Started!

Your ingenuity is never-ending! BRAVO

Really enjoying your build and innovation!

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back