Iron sky moon trooper research thread

yodakiller1138

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I am planning on doing a Moon trooper Nazi soldier from the movie Iron Sky. Have reference pics from the film as well as pics from Prop Store auction site.

Just won the correct Finnish gas mask on Ebay. Anyhow, needed help from experts on the board. Has anyone identified the uniform that is used on the costume? Looks like Afrikakorp , but I wasn't sure.

Also can anyone tell me what the respirator tubes and fittings are from? Scuba gear?

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Re: Iron sky moon trooper help?

I am no expert, but I am interested in ww2, so of course I saw the movie too.
They look like the M43 Waffen SS jacket, but I think the color may have been digitally edited or custom made. The color on the Afrika Korps jackets look way to bright for me compared to the film, even though pretty much everything in the film was dark. I take it that you are talking about the jacket and not the long leather coat?

My best guess is that the tubes and fittings are from a scuba gear shop. Possibly some kind of plumber shop and modified, although this is much more unlikely.

I hope I answered your questions and we're all hoping for pictures on the build! :)

Dug out my Pre Prop pix.
Front hose looks like a hair dryer hose (clear with wire spiral) that folks use for TIE Pilots, or even an older vaccume cleaner hose and the back (smaller) hose is a pool or aquarium hose.
I just threw out one like it that I had sitting in my backyard, it was orange.

Well I did see the movie on Netflix a few months ago, although I didn't really make any technical observasions while watching it. So, I googled "iron sky moon trooper" but didn't find anything consistent. It seems to me that they used any german uniform item they could find and figured that nobody would know the difference (or even care for that matter).

If you post some speciifc pics of what you're looking for, there's a good chance that I might be able identify the correct color, year and branch of service, since I own quite a few uniform books. Heck, I may even be able to tell you off the top of my head, because I spent a lot of time researching WWII uniforms a few years back.

I've got PICS I downloaded from the auction site, but don't know if I'd be allowed to post here on the RPF without permission. If you go to the Prop Store of London auction for IRON SKY they have some nice , clear, color shots of the uniform in question. I'm not only interested in the uniform , but the gloves as well. I know I've seen them before, but I can't place where. It would be great if that could be identified as well.

Last edited:

Probably based on the M40 uniform. Though I'm not sure they used WWII repros - tunics seem a little off somehow, as does the black M32-type SS officer tunics.

I've decided to change the title to a research thread, so if anyone has info please post. I'm sure others would be interested in making this costume as well. Prop Store just put up a Moon pack minus the blanket in auction yesterday and it shows clear PICS. I've figured out measurements for the strapping and can see what materials were used in construction. Should be fairly simple to build other than the greeblies. I've sent a message to the Prop Store asking permission to post some PICS so things can be identified. We'll see what happens.

Just got the OK. So here's some PICS of the backpack, ammo pouch, and gloves.

H5769-L51765278.jpgH5769-L51765276.jpg

Attachments

• H5769-L51542709.jpg
    H5769-L51542709.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 461
  • H5769-L51542710.jpg
    H5769-L51542710.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 282
  • H5769-L51737744.jpg
    H5769-L51737744.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 322
I've seen that video. Gives some ideas, but really doesn't identify anything. It's very helpful though.

Last edited:
$(KGrHqJ,!hIFBc3rpYRzBQh1Sb,dig~~60_57.jpgH5769-L51542709.jpgCame across this on an Ebay search. It's German Military issued ammo magazine pouch Moisin Nagant PTR91 Bushcraft survival or at least that was what they called it on Ebay. I think this is what they used as the German military in WW2 didn't use anything like this. Anyhow, it was BUY ME NOW so I picked it up.

Now the only thing to figure out is the gloves , the Greeblies on the pack, the hoses and other stuff on the mask.

Last edited:
They look to be using a lot of foam which seems to be the current craze on this forum.

Interesting that they vacformed all the buckles to mass produce them.

They look to be using a lot of foam which seems to be the current craze on this forum.

Interesting that they vacformed all the buckles to mass produce them.

But they had to get repro buckles to do it. For a person doing a one off costume that wouldn't be necessary.

Simply an observation.
When they show a close up it looked vacced then a moment later they are preparing to vac them.
They could have just as easily used resin casting on regular army style buckles.

Are you sure they used repos?
Being made in Finland I'm pretty sure they could have had access to real WW2 buckles, lots of stuff still floating around Europe.
For the crowd scenes in Last Crusade they used original uniforms found in a warehouse. (bonus Making Of DVD)

Real ones are highly collectible now, so I'm sure they really couldn't afford the real thing, especially for a low budget film. Repros out there are in some cases made from the original dies.

H5769-L51765276.jpgAny of our European members recognize the particular style dryer vent cover on the backpack? I figure its a style used there as I haven't seen any here that look like it.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back