Iron Patriot Foam Helmet

charlie88

Hey guys hope that youre all doing ok. As the tittle says , i will be trying to make an iron patriot foam helmet since i saw JFcustom thread of foam . Ive never worked with foam before so i dont expect this to be perfect and well done so i was going for the captain america foam helmet that he has in hes thread but he suggested that i went with this iron patriot since its "easier" am kinda scared of it since i want to learn very bad to make foam helmets since am allergic to resin and bondo and ended up in the hospital a couple on months ago i spent 2 weeks hospitalized so my wife told me about this site and thread and well here i am. I did use a respirator with clean filters and outside but for some reason i am very badly allergic to its fumes or watever it was so here we go with a safety way to build again since i was so close to not build anymore since am used to pepakura , resin bondo stuff. here is the templates printed. heres a pic . 942326_10152847728605002_568667585_n.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

the foam that am using is the one that pep boys sells in a roll mat it is 46in x 93in (1.17m x 2.35m). 7mm thick the brand is best step942671_10152846818235002_800303878_n.jpg

i decided to do a simple foam mask before i got with the iron patriot since it looks dificult, atleast for me since am a beginner. am having trouble understanding curved pieces. do they need to be angled ?? if so how do you angle a curved piece??? here are some pictures of my shredder mask that i converted to foam but am practicing with the mask first. the picture that has the black arrows show the curved line and the bottom line of the mask that are curved. the top one joins the nose piece, the bottom one joins the chin piece.

- - - Updated - - -

182516_10152852575545002_329672686_n.jpg270694_10152852572915002_629816209_n.jpg397958_10152852578665002_1990893175_n.jpg940859_10152852574090002_1535146929_n.jpgwtf.jpgwtf2.jpg

i got it in the store since i didnt see it online, try sears they have it online , not the same price though .

Best Step Antifatigue Foam Floor Mat - Black - Tools - Garage Organization & Shelving - Garage Flooring

mine cost 20 bucks

or you can buy this one , its cheaper and a rpf memeber used it alot , you can see hes review about it. he made a guyver suit and a iron patriot armor and helmet with it. and its cheaper too

Stats Foam Basketball Court - Toys R Us - Toys "R" Us
Does PepBoys sell that roll in the stores or is it only online?

- - - Updated - - -

Does PepBoys sell that roll in the stores or is it only online?

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12620015

http://www.sears.com.pr/best-step-antifatigue-foam-floor-mat-black/p-00914118000P?prdNo=1

Sweet thanks bro...I have a PepBoys by me...I'll just stop by...thanks for the info...i'm making an Iron Patriot too...check out my WIP when you get a chance. The hard part is im using thicker foam...and I had to buy a mask online...plastic but just a temporary one for Comic Con in Dallas

no problem! yeah i went there as quickly as posible too try and figure out how you build foam suits and helmets since am stuck with curve pieces that i dont know if they need angle or not. the first time using foam too
Sweet thanks bro...I have a PepBoys by me...I'll just stop by...thanks for the info...i'm making an Iron Patriot too...check out my WIP when you get a chance. The hard part is im using thicker foam...and I had to buy a mask online...plastic but just a temporary one for Comic Con in Dallas

no problem! yeah i went there as quickly as posible too try and figure out how you build foam suits and helmets since am stuck with curve pieces that i dont know if they need angle or not. the first time using foam too

Yeah if ur using the Pep templates then yeah they need to be angled in some areas...most of the Foam WIP's I see on here do that.

I dont have the luxury of the PEP files so all my stuf is by site and tons of trial and error...LOL

I cant wait to get the PEP stuff and start on that. I think it will save me time and money

Best of luck to you...i will be lookin in on your progress brotha :thumbsup

finally i did it , i managed to angle the curved pieces using a protactor ruler since i dont have a steady hand , and it works like a charm and on normal straight edges i use a normal ruler. i am practicing detailing now with foamies but i dont have the big sheets so thats why it looks awkard because when you use a hole sheet that you can use a template on it , it covers the hole area and it looks like a one solid piece instead of layers. its a start so am happy with it.

253581_10152853261385002_1047253258_n.jpg400594_10152853260215002_156746909_n.jpg420729_10152853267345002_2007202865_n.jpg601710_10152853235085002_1237571545_n.jpg601736_10152853269655002_655106225_n.jpg935683_10152853261890002_114759105_n.jpg

well this is not an update more like training for me and its not going well... ive decided to do captain americas helmet foam version by JFcustom and ive done this helmet 4 times already and havent succeded :S the funny thing is is my last try since its getting rather frustrating doing this since this is an easy build. if i cant even do this right theres no point in doing an iron man suit so yeah . by the way that shredder mask i did in foam was easy but i want to do more like something more wow then youst a mask. i want to be able to do helmets, suits in foam since i cant handle resin and bondo because of fumes etc. so if this doesnt work then ill be more a spectator to this site and enjoy viewing others builds. watever really :S i dont understand why i suck so much with foam since ive seen 13 year old kids doing this stuff , guess not everyone was born to do props. here are pics of the last try

975668_10152862178265002_1176114271_n.jpg975841_10152862178255002_163717327_n.jpg

Last edited:
well i tried. i did a couple of angles on top where the eyes go and i messed it up, i tried angles so it would connect to the top helmet failed again since for some reason they dont before i glued anything. so i give up no more foam for me. am youst going to enjoy a poster i have instead of a complete mannequin foam suit haha atleast i tried. i gues prop making is not for everybody :SIMAG0212.jpgIMAG0213.jpgIMAG0215.jpgIMAG0214.jpgIMAG0216.jpg

Dont get discouraged bro...trial and error is whats its all about. The pieces you have done are looking pretty good from here. "We're our own worst critic"..LOL

My suit is driving me insane but I've learned to just accept the inaccuracies and move on to completion

Its my first Iron Man Armor build and its been fun as heck...I've learned a ton of things.

I'm going to try and make a Gemini/ Starboost Armor for Halloween...it frightens me..LOL

Ur doing awesome work...keep it up bro!! :ninja this message was brought to you by Ninja's

Most of us started with missed cuttings, awful foam pieces, and built some abominable helmets from it. But they did, and haven't given up for so short !
A guy here, who started with building the most dreadful IM helmet I've ever seen (Hi! I'm your greatest fan!), ended up with Stan Lee's sign on his finished work !

Don't be so harsh with yourself, go on, your work so far is far not... bad enough to be thrown away ;)

that really hard to beleive since your work is youst perfect , i mean it may not be perfect for you since once you pro now how to do all this you tend to spot every single little detail that is wrong but for me your helmet is perfect and i shouldnt be loading this pics of my wasted foam but i am so people can see that am trying and not bashing like foam is useless foam doesnt work, you cant achieve details with foam like resin and bondo . thats not true of course you can but its hard and this is what i was doing all day. an iron man helmet and well fail again 1 sizing issues, 2 some parts dont go where there suppouse to be even though pepakura shows they are suppouse to be glued that way , thats what happened with the top, it was short i dont know why. to be honest i didnt go for your 5 day technique since i find it more dificult for me i youst dont know why. i made 4 iron man helmets and am really blown today really tired and didnt achieve anything , it was wrong every single time and i kept trying and trying and nothing same results. i know i i should have gotten with the suit but frankly i dont want a suit right now , i want to focus on the hardest thing (helmets ) because i know that if i make a suit its not going to be pretty but it will be better then my crap helmets attempt but ill end up pepping a helmet and thats what i dont want since i have health issues with resin. this helmet is the one from stealths thread ( the first one since theres 2 ) i used heat gun too and it was a mess didnt know how to form the back part, didnt know how to layer them horribles cuts here and there even thou i have sharp xacto number 11 blades , the ear part didnt fit at all i made the top part 4 times and 4 times i didnt want to fit ( difrent sizes ) i think the only good part of the hole thing was the mouth that i got right and not even close , it has like a twisted mouth :S 912533_10152864124410002_1217896776_n.jpg975165_10152864122775002_425086334_n.jpg974938_10152864121345002_51637497_n.jpg975694_10152864126075002_943120132_n.jpgIMAG0221.jpgIMAG0222.jpgIMAG0226.jpgIMAG0227.jpg
Most of us started with missed cuttings, awful foam pieces, and built some abominable helmets from it. But they did, and haven't given up for so short !
A guy here, who started with building the most dreadful IM helmet I've ever seen (Hi! I'm your greatest fan!), ended up with Stan Lee's sign on his finished work !

Don't be so harsh with yourself, go on, your work so far is far not... bad enough to be thrown away ;)

- - - Updated - - -

IMAG0217.jpgIMAG0227.jpg

Don't worry about the sizing issues, happens to EVERYONE, I built 3 IP helmets before I finally got one to fit properly! As for your work so far, it looks fine to me for a newbie to the hobby. We pretty much all started out like that, except for the exceptional people who were good from the get go, and they are few and far between. I would suggest starting with the largest piece of the main helmet first, the top of the head, and build down and around from there. Also, make sure that while building you are CONSTANTLY checking and rechecking the model in Pep Designer so that you are getting the angles right. Spin and tilt the model all around to see it from every angle and you will notice where you need to make 45 degree cuts etc. I would suggest to make the main part of the helmet first, and leave the faceplate region until last, then add it on from there (or at least that's what I do, you can decide for yourself :D).

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back