Iron Man servo actuated face plate question

Fetts.Sobriquet

Those of you in the know, is the Iron Man servo actuated opening face plate some sort of highly guarded secret? The reason I ask is that I can't find a how to on the RPF or other sites. I've also ran across some discussions here and on another site where people are going back and forth about PMing details regarding this but never discuss it publicly except to call each other out for ripping off another user or not sharing info. I guess my question is has this been worked out and documented in a way that is publicly accessible? I'm getting a Iron Man suit together for the movie premiere and I'm going to have an auto opening faceplate, I just wanted to save the time if the solution has already been worked out. If anyone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Thanks guys and gals.

There was a thread on this here about this:
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=76175&highlight=spanish

Basically the way it works, cables run from to the arms of the hinges to the back of the helmet and run down into the suit where they are connected to servos.

I think the reason that you wont find too much documentation is that:
1. The people who have made open faceplate "technology" dont want to share because they want this cool thing all to themselves (basically bragging rights).
2. People are making money off it when selling helmets and sharing the info would cut into profits (Not saying that their greedy, we all gotta make a living somehow right?)

I can only see three people that have open faceplate helmets, TMP, Zabana and Master Le. Only one has shared how they built theirs.

I missed that thread. Thanks jaymay023! I knew there are cables and servos involved, I wasn't sure how everything worked together. I think my goal will be to use/modify an off the shelf solution that will be easy to implement. I wont start on this for a couple of week I guess, but if I'll try to make a tutorial with whatever I come up with.

I'm sure alot of people on here will be glad to see a tutorial on this. I'm currently working on a motorized faceplate for my War Machine helmet. Im planning on making the mechanism centralized in the helmet to elliminate cables running out the back of the helmet. The design is also a little different as there is more stuff in the way then the Iron Man helmet.

If it helps it looks like firemedics/TMP's helmet uses these http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=693
and to clear the top of the helmet they cut slots in the top of the helmet so the hinges could go all the way up.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3rJQKPEN0g

Hope this helps.

I'm taking a different tack on automating my faceplate. I'm not at that point yet but I'll pass on my version when I get there. Mine will be a bit more involved. bushings running on a track rather than the way many have done it.
The track will be molded into the helmet (i'm still working on my mold at this point)

Ya I'm not too particularly fond of how the hinge systems that have been set up so far look either. But at least its been done, now its time to refine it.

I'm working on one that involves the rack and pinion set up much like a power antenna/mast for a car radio works
MB%2011.jpg
using the plastic flexible rack (geared end shown as the white end of the antenna) and a pinion gear, it will pull the faceplate along a track mounted on the inside of the helmet. The Faceplate will be held into the track with a spring tension rod type set up (like you find for curtain rods), allowing easy removal of the faceplate by simply pulling the spring loaded pins out of the track.

I think this will give it a cleaner appearance then the way things are currently done and it will make it an all in one unit, no cables hanging off the back of the helmet. This also will work for the jaw, and since the rack is flexable and able to push without binding, would offer a way better set up then servos (and hopefully a smaller profile inside the helmet. :cool

NOPE. Not what I used for the system. Also, the mechanism is all contained IN the helmet. I wanted to build a system that did not have ANY thing other than power outside the helmet because I need to be able to get dressed with minimal help. I did not want to have cables and linkage running down my neck and back, etc. The system I came up with is all hand-made parts, not store bought. :)

I'm sure alot of people on here will be glad to see a tutorial on this. I'm currently working on a motorized faceplate for my War Machine helmet. Im planning on making the mechanism centralized in the helmet to elliminate cables running out the back of the helmet. The design is also a little different as there is more stuff in the way then the Iron Man helmet.

If it helps it looks like firemedics/TMP's helmet uses these http://www.hardwaresource.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=693
and to clear the top of the helmet they cut slots in the top of the helmet so the hinges could go all the way up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3rJQKPEN0g

Hope this helps.

This is the hinge system that I have modified. Credit for the original design goes to StageFiveDrift over on youtube for this video:
YouTube - Iron Man Face Plate Hinge Setup

I have modified the positions of the pivot points, but that is it. Here are some photos of the locations of my hardware and shots of the animation.

Black donuts are pivot locations on the helmet, blue donuts are pivot locations on the faceplate, and the large circles are the path they follow
View attachment 30952
View attachment 30953
View attachment 30954
View attachment 30955
View attachment 30956
With these locations the upper arm will have to be J or L shaped in order to clear the top of the helmet. Also the top of the faceplate just barely rubs the top of the helmet, so the lip will have to be removed or beveled to keep from catching.

Last edited:
time to post ;) i am working on this as well, i have enginered my own hinge that i am actually quite prowd of ( a rare feeling for me, lol) and i would say it gives a 95% movie accurate movement with no external cuts or slots, its unlike any i have seen on the internet. i have made and tested it with excelent results, but i just cant power it. i have been trying so hard to keep any motors in the helmet, i want only power going to the helmet. i just cant find the right type of servos, linear motors or what ever to make this work. my hinge riquires only a little less than a quarter turn around one axis to work. im not looking for a push pull cable set up. any ideas out there for motorizing this hinge and i will more than gladly share the design.

Other than a push/pull cable or linear servo setup with a remotely located motor to power it, I don't know how else your faceplate will be powered or automated to move other than having a low profile sized servo locally within the helmet to power the hinges.

its a challenge indeed. i could sketch it up if needed but all force put into the hinge goes through one simple arm, about two inches long ( can extend or shorten if needed) that pivots around one axis. the arm moves only about a quarter turn from open to close, closed being just above horizontal and fully open being just shy of strait down. the hinges rest in the temples as you would expect. i have looked and tried a few servos but most servos have only a sixty to ninety degree rotation, so gearing or pulley systems are kind of out. not to mention the axis on the servos are always in the least convenient orientation. has any one made an accurate opening helmet without using a cable system?

I actually have this figured out. But if there's any info that I will share, it will be posted in my blog once I'm finished with the second helmet.

im NOT looking to leach a full " how do i make the helmet open" design. i have a great hinge made, just looking for a motor/ anything idea that fits inside a helmet and can some how turn an arm a quarter turn traveling about 2-2.5 inches along the ark of the arm. less travel needed if the idea has enough power/ torque :S

Last edited:
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back