Iron Man Mk42, completed foam.

Zlurpo

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Add one more Iron Man Suit build to the long list. I'm going for the Mark 42, as seen in Iron Man 3. I'm using pepekura, some of the files created by Helegak and some by Jackieisrockin, and I think all of the unfolds I've used so far are from Ironmaided.

Everything is being scaled to fit me, at my 6'2" 150lb frame. Which is actually pretty much perfect for movie-suit proportions.

I'm using 4mm Silly Winks foam sheets from Hobby Lobby. I've been trying to use only red, brown, and black, but they were low on those colors when I went to re-stock today, so I've had to get some pink and green, which I'm sure will show up shortly in the next pieces I build.

So far I've built the chest, back, both biceps, both forearms, and just finished the abs today. Sort of finished at least; they still need a good bit of detail work.

I'm not sure what paint method I'll use yet. I'm debating between the PVA>Plasti-Dip>Paint and X-Robot's PVA>2 part resin>paint. I'll be doing more tests. But I know I'll be using a spray paint from Autozone, it's some metallic red and looks great over either black or silver. Again, more tests needed.

1nKCkVX.jpg

I work on it most every night, so hopefully I'll have more to add soon!

Attachments

• 1nKCkVX.jpg
    1nKCkVX.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 460
Last edited:
Re: Iron Man 3, Mark 42 foam build

Hey that's nice man. I'm just finishing up my mark vi suit in 3/8 inch foam. On my next suit I will definitely use 6mm foam for most parts.

I love the black and red on this...GM

I've been trying to make the parts of the suit that will be red out of red foam. There are a couple small pieces that are off, and it makes no real difference because of all the layers that will cover the foam before the painting starts, but it gives it a good feel for what will come!

Hi , It looks awesome so far m8. I'm doing the exact same build. And apperently i'm on the exact same part as you are. Just finished both arms and torso piece. Cutting abs as we speak. Did you have any troubles doing the back? For me it was the hardest piece to build this far.

Keep it up! Gonna keep an eye on this post :).

Cutting abs as we speak. Did you have any troubles doing the back? For me it was the hardest piece to build this far.

Keep it up! Gonna keep an eye on this post :).

I had the most trouble with the abs. I must have cut some small pieces wrong, because some things didn't line up right. But not so severely that it caused real problems.

I had the most trouble with the abs. I must have cut some small pieces wrong, because some things didn't line up right. But not so severely that it caused real problems.

Don't make me scared :p. I always need to pep talk myself before the next part.
Here i got a pic of my torso piece, I'm really pleased with the area's around the flaps and the angles. They came out really good. A b*** to glue tbh.

Where did u cut the abs to put them on btw.

Last edited:

Thx for the quick reply. I'm thinking of adding the cod permanently to the abs. But i'll see when i get there. Different color foam really makes a nice overview of whats to come. Have to do that aswell next time.

Multi-colored helmet!

I2ITxbg.jpg

iWNN18n.jpg

1f40F35.jpg

VwIiHhJ.jpg

I probably plan to clean it up and mold/cast it. I want a plastic one!

Last edited:
Re: Iron Man 3, Mark 42 foam build. Helmet added Oct.5

Hands!

Painted gloves, foam layers built up based on... looking. Fingers from some finger pepakura file.

Sorry some of the shots are so blurry!

2QMwAyE.jpg

hViIP5L.jpg

MUA5lY4.jpg

Ndh5ZmO.jpg

I've been testing with paint for the fingers, I'm pretty sure I've got it down! To be applied soon. But first to make the fingers of the other hand.

Re: Iron Man 3, Mark 42 foam build. Hand progress added Oct.12

lookin' good. . .i'm also making a pair of gloves for a friend here in therpf.com when i see this thread. . .great job mate :thumbsup

the parts turned out very well made :) kudos

Re: Iron Man 3, Mark 42 foam build. Hand progress added Oct.12

Looks fantastic. Planning to make one for myself next year. Can't wait!

Re: Iron Man 3, Mark 42 foam build. Helmet added Oct.5

Wow !!!
Do you have a pattern for gloves ??

Sorry, no pattern. I held a piece of cardstock up to my gloved hand and roughed out about where to cut. I cut that, tested against my hand for the correct shape, and re-cut accordingly. Once I had the right shape, I cut it out of foam twice (once for each hand, of course). Then I cut out the same shape from thinner foam (the black stuff) and then cut that where I needed to for the raised pieces. The back of the hand was also made by looking at a completed glove, and cutting foam in approximately the correct spots. It was more "look and cut" than pattern following.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back