Iron Man Helmet hinge (Different type)

jonusx

I've been reading these forums for months and I still really haven't found a really easy way to implement the face plate hinge for the Iron Man helmut. So, I decided to try and come up with one myself and share it with everybody. It's made from lego, and is really cheap and easy to do.

The use of lego makes it really easy to use the multitude of technic gears to motorize this when I'm ready.

I use a rail instead of a 90 degree fixed hinge. I make use of lego universal joints to keep the faceplate attached to the helmet along the rail.

Apart from the rail, I use a pivot on the cheek. This rod will be hooked up to the servo when the time comes. It's a much better place to lift the face plate as the amount it needs to move is very small compared to methods that lift using the top hinge.

The rail system takes up very little room compared to other methods I've seen. The universal joints also make it have a much better tolerance concerning measurements, you don't have to have everything flat and super accurate.

Though I used lego, anyone could move this system over to use pushrods and universal joints from RC airplanes. You can get parts that will accomplish the same thing, though it wont be as easy to put together.

I hope I took enough pics to help, but it anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Video 1
Video 2

Photo Album

IMG_8821_zps87ba783b.jpg

IMG_8818_zps3fa3f727.jpg

IMG_8817_zps06f99756.jpg

IMG_8815_zpsf939e3ab.jpg

IMG_8814_zps07975bd7.jpg

IMG_8819_zps71e3388b.jpg

Very nice, My son has loads of technic lego pieces I never thought of using them. This could come in really handy for some of my foam builds. Great work.

Very nice!!!!!!!..... any chance of getting a video of the helmet off your head showing the movement looking at the backside of the faceplate?? The best part is that it gives it that "mechanical" look when it is opened...

Very nice!!!!!!!..... any chance of getting a video of the helmet off your head showing the movement looking at the backside of the faceplate?? The best part is that it gives it that "mechanical" look when it is opened...

I have the magnets on the faceplate still, so it's a bit hard to seperate them at first. I plan on removing most of them.

Heres a couple functional vids:

Video

video 2

That's a brilliant idea mate. I love the fact that this site is all about innovation, experimentation and forwards thinking. Just because something has been done a hundred times one way, doesn't mean you can't find another way of doing it just as well, and possibly even better. Well done!

LEGOS, eh? Interesting.

Although I'm more interested in the goop of stuff that lines the inside of the helmet.

What is that stuff? It looks like it makes your helm SUPER HEAVY.

LEGOS, eh? Interesting.

Although I'm more interested in the goop of stuff that lines the inside of the helmet.

What is that stuff? It looks like it makes your helm SUPER HEAVY.

It's fiberglass and smooth-on 305. It's actually ligher than fiberglass resin.

That's a brilliant idea mate. I love the fact that this site is all about innovation, experimentation and forwards thinking. Just because something has been done a hundred times one way, doesn't mean you can't find another way of doing it just as well, and possibly even better. Well done!

I thought about trying the methods I've seen before but it seemed that something was off. Having servos mounted on the top of the helmet and using fixed angle brackets to lift the faceplate seemed like overkill.It required the helmet to be much larger than needed to fit your head. The helmet fits quite snug on me and doesn't interfere with the operation of the hinge.

Very interesting and well done, but if you wanted to motorize it, how would you do that?

It shouldn't be too hard, really. The lower arms will be the ones providing the lift. Since the radius on the lower arms is small, it won't take much to rotate them. I'll probably use some tiny gears attached to a servo, or perhaps some cables.

Hey. I really like your idea here, and I'd like to try something similar myself. Was wondering where exactly you got those Lego pieces from?

Guys, sorry but I am newbie here. In which order you do it?

I am not sure about number 3, 4 and 5.

1) pepakura
2) Resin/Fiberglass
3) Cut helmet in 2 or three parts?
3) Servos/lights installation?
4) Bondo and sanding?

Thanks in advance!!!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back