Ok, so I tried starting the thread at 2am this morning and after I got everything done I submitted my thread and the site flashed a screen that said something and then when I checked for my post it was not here, nor was the update of my bio. Can anyone tell me why this happened?
If this post I will update it with some pics.
Ok, so it posted, lets see if this works. First an foremost...
I want to give thanks to all who have contributed to this fine, fun and exciting craft of pepakura and thanks to all who have taken the time to design, unfold and share their files without asking for compensation, only a shout out!!!! You guys are awesome.
Special thanks to robo3867 for his pep to foam mods.
I started a pepakura IM helmet about two years ago and still have yet to complete it. I logged back into the rfp a few weeks back and saw all the foam builds going on and loved the idea of doing an armor in 1/8 of the time. I would love to build a IM suit for myself but I would be better off building a blob suit due to my size. But since I wanted to build one so bad and not have it go to waist, I decided to build it for my 4 year old. He likes it. This is my first foam build
Materials. Puzzle mats for kids that I got from Wal-greens. 9 pieces 1x1 square for $5.99, bought 2 packages. So far I've used 5 squares. The 1/2" foam was going to be to big for this build so I went with the kiddie squares because they are just 1/4" thick. Only bad part is, the foam has different design on each of the colors so you may see some funky shapes as the build goes. You can kinda see them in the forearm. I have to figure out how to fill those gaps, I would love to hear some ideas on that. Found some 8-1/2x11" 1/8" foam at JoAnns that I will probably use for the helmet with some re-enforcement where needed.
Ok, so the build begins. I started with the left forearm to see if my scaling was going to work out ok. It looks like it did.
Next I went with the chest.....because the chest is the coolest part next to the helmet. So far so good I think. The back was next and I scaled it wrong on my first attempt. Finally think I got it right but I might have to redo the chest now due to the tight fit on my boy. I don't think it will fit him come Halloween as well as the ab pieces my not fit either.
This is a really fun build and I don't know how hard it's going to be due to the small size of the build but I think it will be ok. So far I have about 7-10 hours in the three pieces excluding the 3-4 hours in the original chest. Pics to follow in the next post. (Still making sure this is going to stay)