Irene Adler WIP Update 2/28/11

AbbyDarkStar

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I'm working on an Irene Adler from the 2009 Sherlock Holmes movie for WonderCon in April.

2wda79e.jpg

The dress is being commissioned. I'm making the accessories such as the hat:

n2h6b8.jpg

1zlfvvn.jpg

116maoo.jpg

I'm trying to find a blank hat and am open to any advice anyone might have!

Last edited:
Re: Irene Adler WIP

Keep posting updates. This should be an interesting costume to see

and as for the hat, you should have a look on ebay for blank hats in that style. Or perhaps you could find a pattern and create one from scratch

Last edited:

HolmesExcellent.jpg

Can't wait to see your progress!
I'm not heading to wondercon, but any chance you'll be at SDCC?
I'd love to get a pic with an Irene.

You will make a great Irene. The hat definitely has a bound edge. You can also pop into the Fedora Lounge. They may have some additional insight to what you will need.

The Fedora Lounge

The hat shape looks very similar to a puritan hat, but with one side curved upwards.

Love this gown, Are you going to do the black coat aswell?

Hatcrafters custom makes several hat styles that you could use as a base to decorate. Hats by leko sells some hat blanks as well.

Here are some links that may help. Most, if not all, of these hats are based on styles and patterns from the era:

Period Hats & Supplies

You'd almost need a "Cathy" with a "Beth" brim. You can buy the pattern and supplies seperately, or already assembled ready for fabric. She's quick to ship, too.

Another one you could check out:

TV550

They're not 100% what you're looking for, but can be used as a base. Again, you'd have to enlarge the brim to get the look you want. I get ALL my Victorian patterns from this site....Heather is amazing and has a forum to help Victorian costumers. There may actually be a post there regarding this dress so you might want to check it out.

Hope that helps.

Re: Irene Adler WIP HELP NEEDED

Thank you everyone for the great advice. I will be posting updates as I receive/work on the dress. I will be making the wig as well. Since doing my Arkham Ivy wig, I've found that wig making is a lot of fun!

@Nick- I will be at SDCC, but I will be traveling with my Holmes and Watson. If you ask my Holmes nicely, he might not mind a pic. ^_~

@Sakara- still contemplating the coat actually. I found the fabric and the pattern but my issue is time. I work 72 hours a week, doesn't leave a lot of time to pull this together and other costumes that I need to work on/repair. Also packing this beast for traveling from East Coast to west is also a factor. The dress, bustle cage, petticoat, corset and etc is going to take up at least one bag total.

Last edited:
Re: Irene Adler WIP HELP NEEDED

Hat Frame is in!!! I'll be collecting the flowers to go on top this week and hopefully get to working on it this weekend.
ka01w1.jpg

Also some progress pictures of the bustle pad, the petticoats, and the corset. These will be underneath the Pink gown.

8x3t5z.jpg

349difp.jpg

2ag26hc.jpg

wvwy8m.jpg

Re: Irene Adler WIP Update 3/22/11

Updates!!! WOO HOO

First up is the dress:
33454rk.jpg

drdvnn.jpg

2hhdul4.jpg

2646tf8.jpg

14y21zb.jpg

The wig:

a2lgx.jpg
Base Wig

2ebqxp4.jpg
Pulling it back and twisting

21j153k.jpg
Pinned and twisted but not sprayed quite yet

Test photos of the wig and chemise.
33mskgi.jpg

The chemise was a tank top that I altered and added lace to- regular chemises would show under the satin.

Last edited:
Re: Irene Adler COMPLETE Update 4/15/11

SHE IS DONE!!!! The costume was great!!! The hat came out beautifully!!

Much thanks to Zendragon and Randy for being an amazing Holmes and Watson!

2iuu7ag.jpg

20qyq38.jpg

2m41s3c.jpg

11cglcz.jpg

9i4pl3.jpg

35ixd1j.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Irene Adler COMPLETE Update 4/15/11

Good God, you guys look FANTASTIC! That dress is sick and Zen looks spot on! Well done!

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back