I turned my daughter into a Dalek!

PrimoOptimoso

Sr Member
OK, this is not a screen accurate cosplay by any stretch, but it's cute and she won 1st place at the kids' costume contest, at the first-ever AwesomeCon DC this weekend! (It was her first con - she's 10 - and I'd say within 10 minutes she was already "OMG can I get a picture?" famous)

So, long story short:

- We found out about AwesomeCon literally just 3 or 4 days ahead of time and my wife and stepdaughter wanted to do Dr. Who costumes.

- The kid chose the red and gold Supreme Dalek from the 2005-2010 era design; we didn't want to go fully realistic, just "cool" (with a side of "cute")

- I'd say I did this Dalek getup in between 48-72 hours and for about $40. My wife was busy working on her cute femme-10th-Doctor.

- After all was said and done, she made today's paper (Washington Post, front page of Metro section, with her last name misspelled) and the Georgetowner magazine.

Here are the few pics I have of construction and completion. My wife has more and better, so I'll update when I get those as well.

Starting out with the eye stalk because it was to be the most complex bit. A ballpoint pen, a blue LED and the spout from a $3 sport bottle formed the basic structure and the light.
Ew8Paut.jpg

Then I used half of a plastic easter egg to round out the back of the eye and I bought a set of artists' paint pots for $5 to scavenge a few lids from, to make the discs along the stalk.
h4fkwYr.jpg

Skipping ahead a bit to the finished product (painted the egg, painted the pen, mounted the whole thing into a carved-up Buckyballs box that was painted and wrapped in red foam) as part of a head piece...
jUkQyq7.jpg

The head piece was made from a plastic headband, with the eye stalk assembly attached as well as two small translucent plastic cups (of a whole bag for $2) for the lights/"ears" you see on Dalek domes. Yes, I know the Supreme Dalek had a 3rd in the rear, but we couldn't figure out a good way to mount that one. I didn't have any white LEDs set up for 9V power, else these would have been lit in addition to the eye itself.
AEKFhrb.jpg

Battery compartment on the side of the headband, just made of foam
wBiCHNv.jpg

Testing fit and comfort
4iXiM4h.jpg

The Dalek body was just a dress - actually, an old skirt of my wife's - but we had to of course plate it in Dalekanium! Plastic balls from WalMart ($15 for 100, of which we used maybe 30), plus spray paint ($7) and foam sheets ($4) sufficed for that.
aWoACzC.jpg

Finished the dress out with some gold ribbon for the chest area and a hula hoop to hold it out at the bottom, cut the middle out of a brand new plunger head ($3.50) to go over her right hand - we skipped the Whisk-hand for time constraints - et voila! Here she is after the costume contest win, with one of the many 10th Doctors we met that day!
8p5cudZ.jpg

So there you go, another budget build from Primo =0)

Note: If you see her pic in the paper or on the Post's website, she's holding the plunger bit in her left hand - she kept taking it off as it bugged her wrist. I just NOW had a better idea for doing the plunger hand - doh!!

Last edited:
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back