Honest, I need help with Spock ears

rickrickrick

Sr Member
I could not BELIEVE the absence of any information about this topic anywhere on the RPF! I searched the whole site including the archives extensively.

Makeup accessories are part of costuming - people talk about TDK Joker makeup here all the time. Is ST:TOS really so out of favor, even with the new prequel forthcoming, that no one does recreations? There are limitless threads about TOS props - SOMEBODY here must actually do Trek costuming at conventions and Halloween and so on and do Vulcans...

The Mrs. and I are doing Spock and Uhura for Halloween, and I need ears. I could do custom foam latex ear tips myself, but I don't think I'll have time.

Anyone got recommendations for good sources? Some that you've used successfully? I'll even consider LOTR elf ears. Any and all insights welcome.

Many, many thanks!

Rick

PS - NOT the slip cast latex Woochie crap! :thumbsdown

Well, short of the really cheap, pop-on ears, I think woochies are probably the best (only?) bet, short of making you own foam ones.

They come in two sizes, and with competent trimming, blending and coloring, look pretty good. We used to keep a few sets in our makeup kit when we'd sell at cons and people were always happy with the results.

-Sarge

Thanks for the link, but those are the wrong shape. Note that the end of the tip points towards the back of the ear. This is a problem with a lot of the ear tips available. Spock's ear tips are curved towards the front of his ear - it's very distinctive.

Can those Woochie things really be blended well? The edge looks pretty awful. I'd hate to spend all the effort and money I have on good costumes and props and ruin it all with $5 ears.

No one here has experience with anything better?

Thanks again for your help.
Rick

Short of having them made for your ear to your specs you are out of luck finding a decent pair.

Especially if you are looking for the "Nimoy" look

http://www.costumzee.com/tag/spock+ears/
I used Woochie ears for my Spock

l_ff83c3a677ee4bdfb4888c9df83916fb.jpg

Well, it seems the popular vote is for Woochie so far.

Frisky, you look great - excellent TMP uniform! Are those the large or small tips? What did you use to attach and color them?

Rahl, thank you for the link - there might be something useful there.

I appreciate your suggestions, folks, so keep 'em coming. I'd love to have other opinions/options.

Many thanks!

Rick

If you google them you will get dozens of entries. They are very popular and carried by a gazillion etailers in the US. I'm sure they must get distribution in other countries, too.

R

Well, it seems the popular vote is for Woochie so far.

Frisky, you look great - excellent TMP uniform! Are those the large or small tips? What did you use to attach and color them?

Rick

I don't know how Frisky did his, but what we'd do was attach them on the blind side first so they'd be good and secure, then carefully trim the edge that showed to follow the wearer's natural ear contour. We'd then glue that down and blend it with this thin paste my part would mix up with liquid latex and cabosil (you might be able to substitute baby powder or cornstarch for the cabosil, but make sure you get any lumps out.)

The blending takes some time- you 'll probably need to do it in a couple layers since the latex shrinks as it dries; you'll put one coat on and it'll look great, but then it'll shrink and your blending edge will slightly reappear, and you'll need to put a little more on. Use a troweling motion to get in the the ridge where the edge of the eartip meets the skin, and be sure to get as little as possible elsewhere. We used to use popsicle sticks sanded into mini-spatulas for this. :)

Once the edge is hidden to your satisfaction, color as normal with rubber mask greasepaint and set with translucent powder. Also, if you're anticipating a lot of photos, make the greasepainted areas slightly darker because the camera flashes will make them look way brighter in the pics.

Good luck!

-Sarge

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back