Honest Dragon Doctor Who Coat

Morton

Hi,
Has anyone bought one of the long cashmere David Tennant Doctor Who coats from Honest Dragon on ebay??

If so are they any good??? Am thinking of getting one, but would like to know if they are any good first?

Would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

I have one of the coats personally I love it, only things that I noticed diffrent on it then on the show is: The tail isn't split and the buttons are a weird brownish color.
Hope that was of some help.

Rex

Thanks for the reply! How is the colour match to the real thing? The pictures on ebay make it look a little yellowish rather than a muddy brown, which I believe is what Tennants' is really like (from the photos anyway). Guess the tail could be cut and altered??

Is it heavy? The real thing tends to 'flow' if you know what I mean (it is a faux suede I believe?)

Morton

The coat is made of some type of wool but it still flows nicely in the breeze (which it would flow better in my opinion with the split tail) anywho as for the color it is a muddy brownish instead of the suede yellow.

Rex

I had one of these, it's in pieces in a bag now. It was a decent coat, but I'm allergic to wool and a stickler for SA. If you take it apart and make some modifications it can become a pretty good pattern for a good coat, that's what I did.Please excuse the terrible lighting in the first shot and the lack of full costume in the second, I just took that one.

DoctorCoat1.jpg

DoctorCoat2.jpg

A quick list of details that are inaccurate about the Honest Dragon coat:

The spot where the collar and lapels meet is the wrong angle
No decorative topstitch on those pieces
The button placement is slightly too far apart
The buttons are too brown/small
Wrong material
BIG ONE: No split in the back and the pleat is only an inch deep. I had to make the back of my new coat from two pieces sewn together in the middle and each one had about 8 inches of material added for the pleat and a decent seam allowance for where it splits at the bottom.

My coat isn't perfect either, I got the material at a discount upholstery fabric place for $22 and as a result it is one shade lighter than the most accurate stuff you can get at Jo-Ann's for about $170, I'm OK with this. My buttons are too black and not positioned quite straight, but not bad for my first time sewing anything. I didn't add buttons down the back split. My pockets aren't angled properly. And a big one, the side seams of the main coat body should actually be about 6 inches farther back on the coat than the honest dragon pattern.

Anyways, I hope this helps you in your search for a coat.

I have done a LOT of research into the coat, and can honestly say the Honest Dragon coat is one of the worst replicas out there.

Take a look at my comparisons here:
Coat Comparisons

I was not happy with any of the coats available, so made my own.

You can see the finished result here:
My Tennant Coat

Let me know what you think.

coat-still-2.jpg

coat-still-1.jpg

I have done a LOT of research into the coat, and can honestly say the Honest Dragon coat is one of the worst replicas out there.

Take a look at my comparisons here:
Coat Comparisons

I was not happy with any of the coats available, so made my own.

You can see the finished result here:
My Tennant Coat

Let me know what you think.

I'm really impressed with the work you did on your coat, and I'm following your progress on the suit right now.

You've got the cut and pattern spot on. If you don't mind me saying, my only recommendation would be to beat the coat a little to soften it up, I did it with my Wested Raiders jacket and it drapes a lot better.

I managed to track down THE fabric used for the original coat - but it had been long discontinued, so had to find left over rolls across Europe.
Sadly the material I did find had a bonded backing which had to be removed before use.
It left a residue of the glue, which I ironed off as much as I could, but it did remain a little, hence the slight stiffness in places, but I assure you it is the softest fabric - a cross between suede and velvet !

I'm really impressed with the work you did on your coat, and I'm following your progress on the suit right now.

You've got the cut and pattern spot on. If you don't mind me saying, my only recommendation would be to beat the coat a little to soften it up, I did it with my Wested Raiders jacket and it drapes a lot better.

Really nice coat!

Have read with interest all the comparisons. Am going to investigate tssy2005, and see if medina are still making the coats too.

Any definite suggestions as to what to ask tssy2005 to change/modify on the coat (if she will) to make it more screen accurate??

Thanks,

Morton

The honest dragon coat certainly isn't bad. They will make it for you with the vent open if asked, which certainly helps. The buttons need replacing too. I eventually upgraded mine to a magnoli version, which I love.

Thanks for the reply.

Does the tssy coat have the split and buttons at the back? Couldn't see properly by your photo. What about inside pockets?

Is there anything that should be changed about it to make it more accurate, or is it perfect?

Thanks,

Morton

I'm far from an expert, but to me the biggest things that stand out are the color of the buttons, and the actual color of the coat itself, and the hip pocket flaps on the screen used ones appear to meet almost dead on at the front with the last bottom buttons, to within say 4 inches...

Kinda hard to tell really, as in almost every picture of Tennant with the coat on he has his hands in his pockets, effectively screwing up any good refernece photos regarding button/pocket placement/size, etc...

there are buttons in the back, but i made sure to ask for them. I also asked for inside pockets but wires got crossed and they didnt include them.

The buttons are indeed inaccurate, and the color may not be super perfect, but its close enough for me.

I've been following this thread closely, as I am considering both the Captain Jack Harkness and Doctor Who coats offered by tssy on eBay. For those of you out there (and you know who you are) who have purchased either coat from tssy, I have three general questions:

1. tssy offers the coats in both wool and faux suede. I would prefer the suede/moleskin, but am unsure about how it will look. Any thoughts/feedback?

2. When providing the measurements required for making the coat, is it best to be very accurate, go a bit bigger or even go a bit smaller on the measurements?

3. What special adjustments have you found need to be requested at the time of ordering (e.g., split tail in back, button placement, inside pockets, etc)?

Thanks in advance for all your help and hard work in researching these questions.

- Kris

Hi Kris,

This is exactly the kind of information that I am looking for too, as I don't want to order a coat and find out its not right!

If you find out anything please let me know, and I will do the same!

Morton

Pumpkiny's coats are the BEST I have seen and worn. Details second to none and the fit is perfect. If you want the perfect coat, go to him, 100%

6250_123891185816_512290816_2776874.jpg

6250_123891195816_512290816_2776876.jpg

DSCF3902-1.jpg

DSCF3899-1.jpg

Thanks for the info, the coat does look good, but is a little expensive for me at the moment, which is why I was looking at getting the other one (see above). Do you know what needs altering on this one to make it 'right'?

Also, any news on when your brown tennant suit fabric run will be ready to go? Could you put me down for 5 yards please (I am 5 foot 8, and slim build, so guess that 5 yards will be plenty?)

Hope you can help.

Thanks,

Morton

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back