Hit Girl's weapons, and designing for travel

glasscannon

Hello everyone! I stumbled onto this board last weekend and registered immediately (lucky for me I found you guys during open registration!). So I'm new here, but I've been doing costuming as a hobby for years, and really enjoy the challenges that come with trying to re-create screen accurate costumes and props. I had a full line up of costumes planned for this year's DragonCon (my one major con each year), and then I saw Kick Ass and all those plans went right out the window, heh. So everything has been put aside as I work on a "Hit Girl, 10 years later" costume.

I have the costume itself designed and am in the process of rounding up materials, so now I'm starting to think about her weapons/props. My plan is to do her outfit from slightly earlier in the movie, rather than during the final fight scene -- so no harness, no grenades. For props I'm primarily thinking about her double-ended bladed staff (is there a technical name for that?) seen here:

kick-ass-hit-girl-poster.jpg

(Hope that works.)

From what I can tell, it looks like the blades have a blunt end and a beveled edge, but I would love to get your guys' thoughts on it. I've rounded up a few more pictures, but I didn't want to spam you guys right off the bat. ;) In some ways it reminds me of some of the elven weapons from Lord of the Rings, so I thought that might be a resource to research, to see how others have made something similar in the past? Thoughts? I'm very open to suggestions.

My major design restriction with this piece is that I will be flying to DragonCon, from southern California. If at all possible, I want to do only a carry on bag (had a huge bag last year, would like to never do that again), so this would not only have to break down, but also get past airport security. Or I would have to ship it there and ship it back, I suppose.

So any thoughts or advice on this? Have any of you made staves/swords that break down into multiple pieces? Like I said, I'm very open to input. Thanks in advance. :)

(Btw, I put this in the Costume forum as it will be part of a costume I will wear, rather than a display prop, but feel free to move it or let me know if it should go in the Prop forum instead.)

Welcome to the forums! I can't give much input on the weapons but I just wanted to say, you shouldn't concern yourself with 'spamming' pics. I know I like more pics and I think a lot of people on here like to see pics. The more the merrier! It can help with advice/input. Especially if someone doesn't know the character well.

I look forward to see an adult version of Hit-Girl. She stole whatever scene she was in.

Thanks for the welcome! :D I'll put the rest of the pictures I have of her blade/staff down at the bottom of this post.

And definitely agree with you on Hit Girl stealing every scene! I think we'll probably see a lot of different HG versions at all the various conventions this year, and I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with. For me personally, I left the theater wishing this had been an origins movie for a long-running comic book series, just so I could see where it would go from here. I love the angst at the end, and can't help thinking Hit Girl could grow into a very interesting adult character, perhaps along the lines of Catwoman or Elektra, with the whole is-she-or-isn't-she-evil.

Anyhow, thanks again for the welcome, and here are a few more pictures of the weapon in question:

586_hitgirl.jpg

hg03q.jpg

hit-girl.jpg

kick-ass-hit-girl.jpg

Not quite sure why the action figure/statue has the staff as two separate swords, but perhaps it was intended to break into two parts at some point? Again, any thoughts you guys have on the shape of the blades and construction techniques I could use to achieve that shape, I'm all ears. ;)

My local Pound Shop sporadically sell "Fantasy Warrior" type swords that I'm gonna try to use for my 6yo's Hit Girl costume later in the year ( Assuming I get the actual COSTUME together! :| )
Will try to get some pics next time they have any in stock.

BTW, as an adult Hit Girl fan... Any chance you could register for the Sci Fi Scotland forums and chime in with your thoughts on the idiot Daily Mail reviewer's "Hit Girl is a sexy paedophile-magnet" stance, please?
http://www.scifiscotland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=291
( Everyone's welcome :) )

So you need to use materials that will pass airport security but you want it to look real good too. The one I did for my daughter I just used those foam swords you can get at a dollar store and shaped them with a razor, but I imagine you want something a little more realistic. Most cosplayers seem to use a combination of wood (or like that thin particle board stuff [masonite?]) cut on a band saw and painted. After looking at some of the inovative materials used on various costumes on this forum, If I were to give it a go I think I'd try sculpting from dense foam sheeting (like the kind floor mats and flip-flops are made from) and painting them silver with a high-quality chrome spray paint.

The Swiffer Idea for the handle is great! I think I've also seen a cheap teather-ball set at the sporting goods store that has this style of snap-together poles. Good Luck with airport security though. I hear they don't let you on with anything remotely weapon-like.

Hot glue takes silver spraypaint VERY well... You can easily coat a foam sword in that and spray it.

HitGirl's blades definitely aren't blunt tipped, in the movie there was a scene where she stabbed a guy pretty much clean through with one, kind of hard to do with a blunt end.

For travel purposes I'd make it break down in 3 places. The first is obviously in the middle of the staff like it does in the movies. The 2nd & 3rd would be the blades, make them removable from their "handles" and the whole thing should be short enough to pack into a decent sized suitcase and as long as they're in your suitcase you should have no problems with getting it through security at the airport. I went to D*Con last year with an airsoft pistol and a resin cast one and had no problems and so long as the blades aren't actual metal even the densest of ITA personnel will recognize that your "weapon" is not real and is just a prop.

HitGirl's blades definitely aren't blunt tipped, in the movie there was a scene where she stabbed a guy pretty much clean through with one, kind of hard to do with a blunt end.

For travel purposes I'd make it break down in 3 places. The first is obviously in the middle of the staff like it does in the movies. The 2nd & 3rd would be the blades, make them removable from their "handles" and the whole thing should be short enough to pack into a decent sized suitcase and as long as they're in your suitcase you should have no problems with getting it through security at the airport. I went to D*Con last year with an airsoft pistol and a resin cast one and had no problems and so long as the blades aren't actual metal even the densest of ITA personnel will recognize that your "weapon" is not real and is just a prop.

I once got stopped by armed police at Edinburgh airport because despite the fact that I'd declared my 4 airsoft weapons and the woman at the check-in desk had phoned four separate people to confirm I was allowed to travel with them, there was a screw-up somewhere and the message never got through to the guy screening my bags. I was held up for over an hour and nearly missed my flight :wacko I was terrified too as I was travelling on my own. I made sure to leave plenty of time on my return journey from Heathrow (I had to spend an hour there with the security screening guys and a Customs officer because Heathrow export real firearms for the military!) but they handled it better. I'm guessing the Edinburgh airport staff didn't know what airsoft was, though the armed police knew as soon as I mentioned it and were genuinely interested in it. They even started talking to me about the specs on the very real, very loaded guns strapped to them. :lol

My point is, if you're travelling, allow plenty of extra travel time just in case you are stopped.

Thanks for all the replies, guys! :D

I saw the movie again today, and she does actually take the staff apart into two swords at one point, I'd totally forgotten that. Got a good look at the tips of the blades, and you're right, Riceball, they aren't blunt. I also spent a bit of time reading up on TSA regulations (no way the blade bits are getting through in carry-on, I think), and looking at PVC pipes and connectors and nipples (fun!).

So at the moment, I'm thinking about making this in four pieces, that I can re-assemble at the con -- two blades with connectors (probably PVC nipples) that connect into two handle pieces, which connect to each other in the middle. (Riceball, I think that's exactly what you were suggesting too, right?). Depending on length and weight, I may try to ship them to myself at the con rather than checking a bag.

For the blades themselves, I'm considering using two pieces of stiff foam each, with an area in the middle hollowed out for the PVC connector, and then the two pieces glued together in the middle. I would then need to carve, in 3D, the blade shape, then seal it and paint it. My thinking is that foam will be con-safe and less likely to get mangled in shipping vs. something made from paper or cardboard.

So any tips or thoughts on sculpting/carving foam blades? I tried searching here for posts about the High Elven swords from Lord of the Rings but didn't come up with anything (I'll do another tonight for foam, too). Any tutorials or basics you guys can point me towards would be awesome. Is "closed cell foam" what I want? At this point I'm just planning to hit up Michael's and JoAnn's and see if I can find anything that feels dense enough. ;)

At Michael's or Jo-Anns they have those small craft foam sheets (called 'foamies' on here I think) and that is your best bet. I don't think you want upholstery foam. I sculpted my daughter's with a razer blade, a dremel tool and a ruler. If I were doing it again I'd add a french curve to my tools to get the curves identical on each end.

Draw the shape you want to cut away with a silver sharpee or something using the ruler and french curve as guides to make the two blades identical. Score the line once lightly with the razor blade, then with a harder stroke on the same line (don't cut into your table! use a cutting mat or something!)

Once you have the basic shape you'll want to cut the beveled edges. I marked this in pen and used a dremel tool, but with foamies it might be easier to cut with the razor blade, angled from your marked edge of the bevel to the center line of the blade...I'm not explaining this very well.

I'd ship it if you know someone where you are going. If not pack it in your checked baggage. You will have lots of hassle trying to carry these on and, worse case, they could sieze these and not let you have them.

I'd ship it if you know someone where you are going.

Even if you don't know anyone there, you can probably have it sent to the hotel you're staying at. Just phone them in advance and let them know.

When we go out of town for shoots, we usually send a lot of our equipment ahead of us to the hotel we'll be staying at. They have no problem putting our stuff in a back room for us until we get there. Just make sure they know it's coming and they're okay with holding it for you. :)

Yeah, unfortunately it's for Dragon*Con, and I don't know anyone who lives in the Atlanta area. I'm also trying to get by without any checked luggage at all, though if I end up shipping this, I'll first compare prices: shipping and having the Hyatt hold the package for me (which I've heard they charge for, but haven't confirmed) vs. checked luggage fees roundtrip on Delta. Just trying to travel a lot lighter than we did last year, while still being able to costume, heh.

But yeah, I don't think there's any hope of getting any of Hit Girl's props into carry on luggage, lol. Damn gun-toting badass. ;)

Yeah, unfortunately it's for Dragon*Con, and I don't know anyone who lives in the Atlanta area. I'm also trying to get by without any checked luggage at all, though if I end up shipping this, I'll first compare prices: shipping and having the Hyatt hold the package for me (which I've heard they charge for, but haven't confirmed) vs. checked luggage fees roundtrip on Delta. Just trying to travel a lot lighter than we did last year, while still being able to costume, heh.

But yeah, I don't think there's any hope of getting any of Hit Girl's props into carry on luggage, lol. Damn gun-toting badass. ;)

If you have a Delta miles American Express, your first checked bag for each passenger booked with the card (up to 4 I think?) is free. Right now they're doing a thing where the first year is free and you get like 30,000 miles for signing up.

Just ship it to the hotel you are staying at. At Dragon Con, their is a FEDEX right in the Marriot. Your last day there, just ship it back to yourself. I did the exact thing with costume parts for Dragon Con, worked like a charm.

Good luck!

-Robb

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back