Subscribe
    From
    Leland, NC
    Sep 22, 2011, 4:56 PM - Help with Gambit playing cards #1

My boss at work and her boyfriend will be going as Rogue and Gambit this year for halloween. Need a relatively cheap way to do a light up/ glowing card for the Gambit costume. Needs to be self contained, and as close to real playing card size. Any ideas out there? Thanks.
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Sep 22, 2011, 9:13 PM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #2

I'm about to make the light up purple/pink cards for my bf's Gambit. Wanted to have a pair for Dragon*con, but didn't get the materials in time.

I'll try to post a write up on how to do it! Right now, these two are the only ones out there:

X-Men Series - Gambit - Make a Glowing Playing Card

My custom Gambit cosplay with light up cards. - mentok1: Blog - IGN
    From
    Minnesota
    Sep 22, 2011, 9:16 PM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #3

Contact user on here captainrossi.
    From
    Leland, NC
    Sep 23, 2011, 6:03 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #4

Thanks! The Instruct-able one was basically the idea I came up with and tried to explain it to her. Prop gurus must think alike somewhere along the line.
    I was wondering about combining the two ideas from each video.
    If you were to use EL wire/ tape inside the plexi frame, you could make it a lot thinner. By running the wires and power module up your arm, you could effectively have two contacts on the card that would act as a switch when you touched them both. The card only lights up for you, and only when you pick it up.
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Sep 23, 2011, 7:24 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #5

I would recommend getting hi-bright EL Wire, if you're going that route. If you can get your hands on some LEDS, I highly recommend that! LEDS will produce a brighter light and will "flare" out.
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Sep 28, 2011, 2:32 PM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #6

I'm in the middle of adding more lights...this was just a test to see how they were looking! There's five LEDs in there right now, I'm about to add 2 to three more.

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...64215267_n.jpg
    From
    South FLA
    Sep 28, 2011, 2:45 PM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #7

That is freaking awesome.
    I hope you do a step by step celticruins cause that i brilliant.

The card only lights up for you, and only when you pick it up.
    That would make the cards over the top.
    I know bubkiss about electrical stuff though so I can't help there.

Now I might have to go make some custom acrylic cards in my laser.hmmm....
    From
    Connecticut
    Sep 29, 2011, 1:13 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #8

Looking foward to seeing the finished card CR! Curious on how well the EL wire would translate to the cards though.
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Sep 29, 2011, 6:50 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #9

Thanks guys! If had some left over EL Wire from my Tron suits, I'd try it...but I sold it -_-.

Did a few trials last night on adding more lights, but I need to go get another pack of batteries. I'll post a write up and final result, hopefully, later tonight!
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Oct 4, 2011, 1:43 PM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #10

I ended up sticking with the 5 LED's..but may try high-bright EL wire in the future. I want it to be REALLY bright, but the LED's just don't have the correct brightness, in a well-lit environment, that they could have. Especially when someone takes a picture with the flash on. Maybe adding reflective tape would help?

They do look great with a non-flash picture and in the dark! We took them to AWA this past weekend, and they got a really great response!

I ghetto rigged it since I didn't have too much time. Basically there's 3 purple and 2 red LED's in there. The purple LED's took WAY more volts than the red, and had to have 2 3 volt lithium batteries attached to them, as opposed to the reds, which only took 1 for both. They lights are triggered with the battery/LED package is put into the cards. The wires touch the battery and...let there be kinetic energy!

I basically did a similar thing to the instructables; except for the Plexiglas, I used baseball Toploaders. I super glued two of them together and drew out my own cards, simply because actual cards aren't going to allow the lights to penetrate, and the plastic-see through Bicycle cards don't defuse the light.

I'll definitely be fiddling around with these more, trying to achieve a massively bright light!

From
    Texas
    Oct 5, 2011, 7:37 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #11

I liked 8 perfs suggestion because then you wouldn't have to limit yourself to small batteries. You could run a 9 volt with some resistors up Gambit's sleeve to power more LEDs
    From
    Grimsby UK
    Oct 5, 2011, 8:07 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #12

hi guys i found these just wondered if they was any good there fully charged and last 2 hours

Glow-In-The-Dark Poker Playing Cards
    From
    Augusta, GA
    Oct 5, 2011, 8:27 AM - Re: Help with Gambit playing cards #13

VariablePenguin said: View Post
    I liked 8 perfs suggestion because then you wouldn't have to limit yourself to small batteries. You could run a 9 volt with some resistors up Gambit's sleeve to power more LEDs
    Once I get more time to play around with it, I'll rig something up. Running the 9 volt would definitely allow brighter and MORE light. I made these as a quicky-prop of a small convention this past weekend.

I'll definitely have something better to show in the coming months !