Thought I was past due for a good costume progress thread, so I thought I'd share this one.
Randomly discovered this series on Netflix a few weeks ago and fell in love with it. Decided the character of Cullen Bohannon would make a pretty cool costume, but I wasn't convinced until they hit season 2 and the upgrades that went along with it. It didn't hurt that I already have the pants and had fabric on hand that would make a good stand-in for the coat.
Sadly I didn't decide to start doing progress shots until I had nearly finished the frock coat. This is the piece I started on. I had a few yards of a heathered charcoal wool twill that I used for a movie I worked on last summer. I also had recently corrected my personal frock coat pattern when I did an "on the fly" Series 7 doctor frock for Dragon Con. Here's the nearly finished frock. I still need to add buttons, buttonholes and give it a final pressing.
The gun and holster came next. The gun posed a unique problem.
In the show they repeatedly refer to Cullen's sidearm by name. He carries a Griswold & Gunnison Civil War revolver. Upon researching where to get a decent Griswold replica I ran across some info that the gun actually used onscreen is not a Griswold, but rather a 1860 Colt Army. Upon reviewing several screengrabs and watching the show, even in scenes where they show the gun while using it's name, it is in fact a Colt... So rather than try to correct the screen flub, I went with what they actually used. Picked up a Denix replica on eBay for decent price and started on the holster.
The type of holster used is called a "Mexican double loop." Finding this info helped get more research on how to build it. I began with several stages of mock up for it. After I got the pattern I wanted (though I've since retweaked it, and may remake it if I have time) I transferred the mock up to the leather, cut it out and did a little gentle wet molding to shape it to the gun.
I spent the weekend cleaning up the leather and dying and finishing. Was introduced to a "new to me" product called "Gum Traganth" that I used for the raw sides of the leather to great effect. My new favorite product.
Next was the belt and suspenders. Belt was pretty straightforward. went with 2" wide, extra long strip of cowhide that I picked up at tandy. Dyed, beveled, finished, easy peasy. The suspenders were a little more in depth. Lots of 1" strips of 3-4 oz. hide I had laying around. Picked up some buckles that looked similar to his from tandy and started building.
Also pretty straightforward, just with more bit n pieces. Got everything together minus the elastic in the back. Just need to find that and stitch everything together on the industrial at work.
Here's all the accessories achieved during my weekend long drunk crafting session:
So that's where I am now. Other items to tackle:
Knife and sheath
Blue linen shirt
Grey leather vest
I've a pair of Frye Campus boots to use as a base for his. I haven't found anything that exists in the real world to match, so I'm assuming they're a custom job.
Leather samples, knife parts and wig are all in the mail heading my way right now.
The shirt I already have, if I can find what I did with it. I just need to dye and distress it.
I have a similar hat already as well. Just needs decorated and distressed.