Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Subscribe
  1. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 24, 2009, 12:46 AM - Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #1

    Well as the title says I want to build an HEV just like Gordon Freemans. And I want it to look good and act good, meaning I want it to be able to take a knife and I could walk away (not that I intend for that to happen). I simply want to make something that is not only cool looking but functional. I just came from Cosplay.com, and after an hour or 2 of the users telling me to use carboard one suggested this site and here I am. And yes I want this suit to look good and not be made of cardboard. (I doubt Gordon Freeman would last long in cardboard) Why you may ask? Boredom, couriosity, something different, either way I just want to give it my all.

    But more to the matter now. I have a certain level of perfection I want to reach. This shows what I mean.

    This is what I DON'T want my suit to look like...
    Example 1
    Example 2
    Example 3
    Example 4

    This IS how good I want my suit to look...
    Example 1
    Example 2
    Example 3

    In addition, I am willing to use high materials like kevlar and carbon fiber. So any ideas?
  2. RPF Premium Member Risu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Garden Grove, CA
    Messages
    5,867
    Nov 24, 2009, 2:26 AM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #2

    Welcome to the Freeman club. I've got one on hold right now while I focus on other things. I'd recommend pepakura, it's how I'm making mine. You can find the files on the 405th forum. I can't say for sure it'll take a knife, but if you mudglass it it WILL be pretty darn tough.
  3. The Pensive Polak RPF Premium Member ItsThatGuy's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    From
    Richmond, Virginia USA
    Messages
    1,379
    Nov 24, 2009, 7:53 AM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #3

    Doesn't look like that guy is able to take a knife.
  4. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 24, 2009, 12:17 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #4

    You guys are the best! The people at cosplay.com did nothing but berate my idea and suggest flimsy materials like cardboard. You guys are true pros!
  5. BRRogers's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    From
    Savannah, Ga.
    Messages
    605
    Nov 24, 2009, 12:32 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #5

    Cosplay.com can be a geat supportive community. If you're not into forward moving thinking...
    I came from there too, but I don't seek out advice for my projects from anywhere but here, or from professionals. Oh wait, this is where all the professionals are! (haha)

    I do have a note though:
    Yes, although cardboard can indeed be a flimsy material, and looks like crud if you simply try and paint it or put your sculpting medium on it... I will say that cardboard is dirt cheap, and VERY easy to work with. It is easy to cut and can hold together quite well with hotglue. and makes a very workable base if you're planning on using FIBERGLASS.
    Trust me, cardboard covered in several layers of glass is super durable.

    I made that helmet with a base of cardboard, layered it with glass, and made the details with bondo. It's survived so many drops, punts, and jabs I'm still surprised! Dunno If it would take a knife though. And I probably spent less than $25 to make it. And of course, wether you use epoxy putties, or bondo... you can sculpt your armor to be as detailed or as rough (above) as you want it to be.
  6. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 24, 2009, 1:06 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #6

    Tsuyosa said: View Post
    Cosplay.com can be a geat supportive community. If you're not into forward moving thinking...
    I came from there too, but I don't seek out advice for my projects from anywhere but here, or from professionals. Oh wait, this is where all the professionals are! (haha)

    I do have a note though:
    Yes, although cardboard can indeed be a flimsy material, and looks like crud if you simply try and paint it or put your sculpting medium on it... I will say that cardboard is dirt cheap, and VERY easy to work with. It is easy to cut and can hold together quite well with hotglue. and makes a very workable base if you're planning on using FIBERGLASS.
    Trust me, cardboard covered in several layers of glass is super durable.

    I made that helmet with a base of cardboard, layered it with glass, and made the details with bondo. It's survived so many drops, punts, and jabs I'm still surprised! Dunno If it would take a knife though. And I probably spent less than $25 to make it. And of course, wether you use epoxy putties, or bondo... you can sculpt your armor to be as detailed or as rough (above) as you want it to be.

    Yeah, they were pretty arogant when I told them the level of detail and quality I wanted. I'm glad you guys ar much more agreeable.

    Well enough with admiration and all. It's time to get cracking.

    Ok lets try and organize this the best we can here. I was thinking of several materials which I am willing to use so far and you all can suggest any pros or cons with it.


    Fiber glass: I personally I find this to be a great material due to it's strength, versatility, and being light weight.

    Kevlar: tough fabric that would look kick *** and take a hell of a beating.

    Carbon Fiber fabric: moldable and tough as well, yet again this would be great for the armor.

    These are all great materials which I would be willing to add to this suit. And you said cardboard would make a great base, any suggestions with how to mold it?
  7. Contec's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Sweden
    Messages
    4,198
    Nov 24, 2009, 1:16 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #7

    With the Kevlar and carbon fiber it seems a little like you are planning to use it for REAL combat?.... If so then this thread is starting to remind me of the "MY homemade Advacnded action suit" (check my signature) God!! that was a good an fun thread
  8. RPF Premium Member Risu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Garden Grove, CA
    Messages
    5,867
    Nov 24, 2009, 1:17 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #8

    As I said, pepakura. You get the 3d model of the armor as a pep file, print it, fold and glue, fiberglass. It uses card stock normally, but parts can be done in cardboard as well. The finished piece will look like it's straight out of the game.



    These are some of my first draft pieces. I've actually thrown them all away already because I found ways to improve them.

    EDIT: The action suit was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post, but I'm trying to be supportive because nobody's ever finished a decent looking Freeman costume. I will say this though, DON'T try to take a knife in this thing. I can assure you that even if it is durable enough to take it, it will definitely not allow you the mobility to escape before the second knife goes into your face.
  9. Contec's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Sweden
    Messages
    4,198
    Nov 24, 2009, 1:35 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #9

    Risu said: View Post
    EDIT: The action suit was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post, but I'm trying to be supportive because nobody's ever finished a decent looking Freeman costume. I will say this though, DON'T try to take a knife in this thing. I can assure you that even if it is durable enough to take it, it will definitely not allow you the mobility to escape before the second knife goes into your face.
    Yeah, im also very happy that someone is making the suit but when he starts his topic with
    meaning I want it to be able to take a knife and I could walk away
    It kinda gets silly.
  10. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 24, 2009, 2:08 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #10

    Risu said: View Post
    As I said, pepakura. You get the 3d model of the armor as a pep file, print it, fold and glue, fiberglass. It uses card stock normally, but parts can be done in cardboard as well. The finished piece will look like it's straight out of the game.



    These are some of my first draft pieces. I've actually thrown them all away already because I found ways to improve them.

    EDIT: The action suit was the first thing I thought of when I read the first post, but I'm trying to be supportive because nobody's ever finished a decent looking Freeman costume. I will say this though, DON'T try to take a knife in this thing. I can assure you that even if it is durable enough to take it, it will definitely not allow you the mobility to escape before the second knife goes into your face.
    That pepakura download is pretty awesome. I'm gonna spend some time working on it and I'll get back to you guys later when I have some ideas to go from there.

    contec said: View Post
    Yeah, im also very happy that someone is making the suit but when he starts his topic with It kinda gets silly.

    In all reality I don't want that to be the case. I'm just giving my idea of how tough I want the shell to be on this thing. I want to be able to keep this suit for years to come and one day show my kids and say "I remember when I built this thing". Then my son will look up and think to himself, "He needed a girlfriend". Seriously, do think I really want to be stabbed? Hahahah!
  11. By Your Command RPF Premium Member Chronos's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Chicagoland
    Messages
    784
    Nov 24, 2009, 2:53 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #11

    Awesome, LOVE Half-Life.

    Seeing that people have made great looking HEV suits is very inspiring.

    Good luck!
  12. fabrik's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    UK
    Messages
    182
    Nov 24, 2009, 3:45 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #12

    Pepakura is probably the way to go with this but if you want to go all out:

    http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php...hlight=ubisoft

    This looks amazing! Though there is nothing stoping you from sculpting on top of the cardboard pepakura once it's be strengthened!
  13. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 24, 2009, 4:40 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #13

    well after a few hours of looking over pepakura I still have no idea where to start with it. Any tips?
  14. Contec's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Sweden
    Messages
    4,198
    Nov 24, 2009, 5:05 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #14

    Download pepakura designer, Find the Pepakura file of the Hev suit, load it up and scale it , Print and glue. Then you put a couple of coats of resin on it before you fiberglass it.
    Seems simple but the scaling is a female dog..
  15. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 24, 2009, 5:36 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #15

    contec said: View Post
    Download pepakura designer, Find the Pepakura file of the Hev suit, load it up and scale it , Print and glue. Then you put a couple of coats of resin on it before you fiberglass it.
    Seems simple but the scaling is a female dog..
    Yeah, I found the page on 405th showing the guy who made that file. There was eve a link. But it looks like the link is dead now with no file on the other end. I'm sending a PM to him to see if he still has a file available.
  16. RPF Premium Member Risu's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    From
    Garden Grove, CA
    Messages
    5,867
    Nov 24, 2009, 9:09 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #16

    His earlier links on that thread have been broken for a long time, look for a new one later on. If you still don't have any luck you can PM me and I'll email them to you after the holiday.
  17. Loess's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2009
    From
    NW Iowa, USA
    Messages
    97
    Nov 24, 2009, 10:37 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #17

    Risu said: View Post
    His earlier links on that thread have been broken for a long time, look for a new one later on. If you still don't have any luck you can PM me and I'll email them to you after the holiday.
    I dug through that thread a bit, the files that Null unfolded and scaled are on page 7. Link

    I only checked one link, but it was still working for me.
  18. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 25, 2009, 12:02 AM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #18

    Good news! Nugget personally provided the links I needed and now I have all the pep files. Now to print them out and go from there. I would also like to thank Loess for finding the Link as well as Risu's generous atempt. I appreciate the thought.
  19. ALPHA D UNIT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Merrillville IN
    Messages
    86
    Nov 25, 2009, 12:45 AM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #19

    Im def excited to see how this turns out.
  20. SimonTheDigger's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Messages
    29
    Nov 25, 2009, 4:24 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #20

    Question- once I put all the cardstock together I have to apply the fiber glass. What do I use to get the fiber glass smooth looking instead of all bumpy from the hardening resin?
  21. TK-2126_MD's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    La Paz, Bolivia
    Messages
    265
    Nov 25, 2009, 6:00 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #21

    SimonTheDigger said: View Post
    This is what I DON'T want my suit to look like...
    Example 1
    [
    This IS how good I want my suit to look...
    Example 1
    its the same guy with different costumes???
  22. Scapey's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 2004
    From
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    Messages
    1,980
    Nov 25, 2009, 6:26 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #22

    Dying to see how this pans out I love the "carbon fiber" look of the black sections to the suit.

    As for taking a knife... Just remember what we learned from Sir Sean

    "He pullsh a knife, you pull a crowbar!"
    Or words to that effect...
  23. AaronLee's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2009
    From
    Vancouver, B.C.
    Messages
    114
    Nov 25, 2009, 6:48 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #23

    SimonTheDigger said: View Post
    Question- once I put all the cardstock together I have to apply the fiber glass. What do I use to get the fiber glass smooth looking instead of all bumpy from the hardening resin?
    What I've read that generally works well is your fiberglass the INSIDE of your pieces. Then you can apply some putty (bondo) onto the outside to smooth. If you fiberglass the outside you'll lose any sharp details. Read the tutorials on the 450th, they have a lot of pepakura related stuff.
  24. deathscythe's Avatar
    Member Since
    Nov 2006
    From
    Maple Valley, WA
    Messages
    200
    Nov 25, 2009, 11:20 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #24

    I'm glad to see I'm not the only person who's planning on doing this costume!

    For what it's worth, I will be doing a full build-up of this costume probably in a year or so. There are some things I need to finish before I can justify starting another project.


    I may play with the peparuka files a little, but am pretty sure I'm going to sculpt mine from scratch.

    I'm also going to go with fiberglass and carbon fiber. Not sure about the kevlar though. Not sure where to get it, and that would shoot the price up a lot, I think...

    I will be following this thread with interest, though!

    -ds
  25. BRRogers's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    From
    Savannah, Ga.
    Messages
    605
    Nov 25, 2009, 11:40 PM - Re: Half Life 2: Gordon Freemans HEV suit #25

    Hey SimonTheDigger,
    Just out of curiosity,
    what's your coscom handle?

Similar Threads

  1. Half Life 2 HEV Suit - My first costume build!
    Bob McCormick, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: Jun 2, 2014, 2:27 PM
  2. Replies: 27
    Last Post: Apr 3, 2014, 6:58 PM
  3. HEV Suit 5 (modified)- Half Life 2
    ScifiCharlie, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 2, 2013, 4:30 AM
  4. Half Life HEV Suit Files
    JungleG1337, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug 16, 2013, 10:24 PM
  5. Half Life 2 - Gordon Freeman HEV Suit
    mage26, Replica Costumes
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Oct 14, 2012, 3:25 PM