Subscribe
    From
    Lübeck, Germany
    Nov 9, 2006, 2:42 AM - #1

Hi there.

In 2004 I started to build a twi'lek costume.
    I am Gamemaster of a Star Wars role playing game which is played by e-mail and one of my characters is a green twi'lek.
    Some members and I planned to be on the Jedi Con 2004 in Düsseldorf/ Germany, so we thought it would be a great idea to build a costume about our game-characters.

This was when I had to build the twi'lek costume and I did it. (Didn't believe it until I actually wore it at the convention)

This is at the Jedi Con 2004. I wore the costume last weekend again and - as you might see at the picture - this time I changed the green make-up because the old one didn't match with the green of the lekku.

I will post some pictures from Sunday and some pictures of the process of building the costume soon.

Kindest regards from Germany and may the force be with you,
    Bhelia
    From
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Nov 9, 2006, 3:20 AM - #2

Looks good. I'm a big fan of Twi'lek Jedi's. Tott Doneeta has long been a favourite of mine. His pistol grip lightsabre inspired my own (long before Dooku came along).
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Nov 9, 2006, 6:21 AM - #3

Hehe... I'm a geek... I immediately thought: OOLA. :P

But your costume and make-up is cool too.
    From
    Wauconda,il
    Nov 9, 2006, 9:32 AM - #4

vie gehts. Great looking costume.
  5. Keeping my lousy nickname RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Nov 9, 2006, 12:33 PM - #5

That looks great. That is a type of alien that I want to dress up as. How did you do yours?
    From
    The dictatorship of Denmark
    Nov 9, 2006, 1:05 PM - #6

<div class='quotetop'>(takevin @ Nov 9 2006, 04:32 PM) [snapback]1354126[/snapback]</div>
    vie gehts.
    [/b]
    I'm an ass... I know... but "v" in German is pronounced like an "f" and the "w" is pronounced like a "v", so it should be "wie gehts". Just thought I'd mention it... and also sound a little knowledgeable. :P

But yes... it's a cool costume... oh wait... I already said that... now I just sound stupid again...

7. this space left blank RPF Premium Member James Kenobi 1138's Avatar
    From
    Dallas Texas
    Nov 9, 2006, 3:35 PM - #7

I think that costume looks great and I'm looking forward to the how-to pics as well. I always like a girl who makes a good-looking twi'lek.
  8. GeneralMayhem is offline GeneralMayhem
    Nov 9, 2006, 8:18 PM - #8

Great job.
    From
    Tampa Bay Area ~ Florida
    Nov 11, 2006, 12:16 AM - #9

Very nicely done. You should be proud.

10. Member Since
    Mar 2000
    From
    Covington, Kentucky
    Nov 11, 2006, 2:06 AM - #10

Wow.

That is Sweet. I have a thing for green chicks, ya know..

~Russ
    From
    Canada
    Nov 11, 2006, 7:27 AM - #11

That's a great costume, green chicks rule.

Welcome to the RPF by the way.
    From
    Lowell MA
    Nov 11, 2006, 6:15 PM - #12

So uh...if there should be an oola costume in your future...y'know...keep us in mind for pictures
    From
    Lübeck, Germany
    Nov 12, 2006, 11:13 AM - #13

Hi.

Thank you for your praise.
    However, there will be definitely no Oola-costume...

It is very uncomfortable to wear this twi'lek-costume. The lekku are quite tight and press my ears against my head. After two hours this really starts hurting - feels like somebody is sticking needles into my ears.
    I suppose there are other costumes that aren't that comfortable (I remember my first pirate boots) neither, but one twi'lek is enough.

How I build the lekku:

First of all I bought green artificial leather. I was looking for a bright green but couldn't find one (although it looks very bright on the pics) and I weren't brave enough to use latex. I knew there would be seams so I bought some meters of satin band as decoration for the lekku (and to hide the seams). I planned to fix the band with pins that I decorated with one pearl each before using them.

(I took the picture after I did the lekku - the idea of just using the satin band looked awfull as there were to many seams. So I bought black velvet-like fabric)

It was a great advantage that my aunt is a tailor. I showed her pics of a twi'lek and she got an idea how to sew the lekku. Finally they looked like tights made of leather and I was horrified

I didn't like the color so I tried to repaint the leather with my green make-up, which didn't work at all. I was even more horrified.

As you can see the lekku were straight and to make them look like lekku I had to sew darts to become a rounding. I could not do that with a sewing machine and it is hard work to sew leather by hand. It drove me crazy to do it and the result was not acceptable. By that time I started to hate the costume and the whole idea. However, from dart to dart it looked more like lekku (as long as I didn't put it on my head.) but it took me about 60 hours to finish this %?$ß.§ job.

As a result I got more seams than I had expected and I was horrified again...

So I went to a taylor (I didn't want to go to my aunt and ask her to sew it again) and he sewed a wrapping from the spare leather to put it over the seams. I've got no picture of that - it didn't work at all and look absolutely awfull and I was jolly well fed up with this stupid ******* costume. Sorry...
    I didn't use the wrappings but bought the back velvet-like fabric to decorate the lekku and hide the seams.
    This worked immediately and you can hardly see any seam by now.

Finally I filled the lekku with small polystyrene pellets (normally used to fill up empty spaces for thermal insulation). I put the pellets into freezer bags to get plump 'cushions' which I put into the lekku.

To hide the transition between lekku and my skin my friend sewed a black bandeau made of the velvet-like fabric. I made two small zylinders from the leather and sewed them on the bandeau.
    My friend sewed a poncho of grey velevet-like fabric that I put above the dress I wore at the convention.
    I bought black dress-gloves as I didn't want to repaint my fingers.

Last week I didn't wear gloves and had green fingers. Everything I touched became green - a very stupid idea

so far, I will add more pics asap
    may the force be with you,
    Bhelia
    From
    Lowell MA
    Nov 12, 2006, 1:08 PM - #14

Nice work. Don't you hate it when someone tries to help you, with all good intentions, and no matter what it STILL doesn't come out the way youre talking about? I go thru that alot. Im trying to think of a way you can modify it so it wont be so uncomfortable. Have you thought of using this as a mold to make latex Lekku? I know it would definitely be lighter, and no seams. I think vinyl would be hotter than the leather, theres also a spandex type option...some spandex is flat instead of glossy. And I just got an idea about gloves...not sure if this would work, but I know that when I paint and im wearing latex or vinyl gloves, the paint goes on the gloves and doesnt come off, what if you spraypainted latex or vynil gloves to start, then glued press on nails onto the gloves? Would that work? that way youd have the appearance of skin, without having to paint your hands and not touch anything all day. Anyways. Even with no Oola, Incredible work.
    From
    Lübeck, Germany
    Nov 12, 2006, 1:51 PM - #15

Hi.
    I hate if people try to help in general. When somebody is sitting beside me and telling me "why don't you try doing that..." I absolutely hate that. And once I have got an idea in my head it is hard to entrust others who try to help - even when I know, that I am not able to do it.

Don't misunderstand me, it's okay to read your advice...

(Don't know if you're reading the thread in the prop-forum about the black pearl's captains room. I didn't like it when my boyfriend was watching me painting the caribbean island... and I didn't trust him painting it neither, so I did the main job while he was at work.)

---
    I already thought about using the lekku as mold, but I am afraid of trying it and maybe destroying the leather-lekku. It took so much time

The lekku aren't heavy at all, so it is not the weight that causes the pain.
    However, I suppose I need more free time and more money to try building some new lekku. I don't wear the costume that often not just because of the pain but because of the green make-up which is awfull

I will take the idea of painting gloves and putting fingernails on them. It looks better to have green fingers than wearing black dress-gloves.

A picture from last weekend... men in black reversed
    From
    Lübeck, Germany
    Jan 31, 2007, 3:23 AM - #16

As promised: Here are two pictures.
    'Unfortunately' most pictures were so detailed that you could see all the green make-up coming down.
    I will never use water-based color again, although it was quite expensive it didn't work at all.

From
    behind you, Ray!
    Jan 31, 2007, 11:24 AM - #17

Very good.
    From
    Phoenix, AZ
    Jan 31, 2007, 1:19 PM - #18

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Women of Color.

Thanks for the WIP photos, Great job.
  19. Member Since
    Mar 2000
    From
    Covington, Kentucky
    Jan 31, 2007, 2:50 PM - #19

Again...SWEET.

~Russ
    From
    Atlanta
    Jan 31, 2007, 3:11 PM - #20

Oooh that looks awesome. And that dress is absolutely gorgeous.
    From
    Lübeck, Germany
    Jan 31, 2007, 4:11 PM - #21

And that dress is absolutely gorgeous.[/b]
    Thanks - however the dress is not self-made but from ebay. I've seen it once at a special clothes shop in Germany - there the price was terrific, I paid less than a quarter of it.

Unfortunately its rather unpractical wearing that dress while "being" a twi'lek. The green colour came of my decollete and after one hour it didn't look nice at all with all the 'white' spots on my green skin. The more practical costume would be my "first" dress you can see on the pictures at the beginning of the thread.

Maybe that is just a matter of appropriate make-up - perhaps an oil-based make-up would do, but it's such a hard job to remove even a water-based make-up from your skin (it comes off when it is not supposed to, but it doesn't come off when it's meant to), that's why I don't use oil-based colour.

However, by the time I am going to use the costume again I will have forgotten about the uncomfortable aspects

From
    Vancouver, BC
    Jan 31, 2007, 4:38 PM - #22

Looks great
  23. Keeping my lousy nickname RPF Premium Member Darth Lars's Avatar
    From
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Feb 1, 2007, 11:07 AM - #23

You look great in those pictures.

May I ask, which brand of make-up did you use? (so that I can avoid using it)
    I am considering using a water-based make-up from Kryolan with a alcohol-based activator/sealer.
    From
    Lübeck, Germany
    Feb 1, 2007, 3:20 PM - #24

May I ask, which brand of make-up did you use? (so that I can avoid using it)
    I am considering using a water-based make-up from Kryolan with a alcohol-based activator/sealer.[/b]
    Sorry, I don't know the brand at the moment. The make-up is at my boyfriend's - but I'll have a look on monday.

On the Jedi-Con I used another colour by "Eulenspiegel" but that is a German brand - I don't know if they sell it abroad. "Eulenspiegel" was a very good water-based make-up but I could not find 'my' colour that would fit with the lekku.
    However - the Eulenspiegel make-up didn't come off at all - neither of my skin (even not when trying to remove the make-up) nor of my dress what is still green
    I used Eulenspiegel for a Darth Maul costume as well and that one worked nicely and came off when it was meant to.
    Maybe green is just a naughty colour

I used all make-ups without an activator or sealer.

25. Member Since
    Jun 2013
    Jun 15, 2013, 1:05 PM - Re: Green Twi&#39;lek Costume #25

Hi I don't know if you still play but do you still run the Star Wars RPG through email?? If so I would like to join.

Thank you