gilas's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry : Minions

gilas

Hello rpf'ers! To start with, my 5 year old son will be joining a costume party that will be held in school. My first plan was to build an iron patriot costume for him. I’ve actually started building some parts but because of scaling problem and I assumed that I will not be able to finish the whole suit in time, I have to choose an easier costume , a Despicable me minion, and that is what this thread is all about :D

As a costume builder, I can say that I'm a total noob/beginner compared to other members here, whose work are amazing. (I would like to thank you guys for inspiring me to build) Last year I tried to build an iron man mark 4 for my son (who was then a 4 year old lad) and i failed to finish the entire suit and ended up buying an ironman costume instead :( This time I'm determined not to buy a costume and do it myself.

The primary material for this costume build is a slice foam that I bought in a shop that sells materials use for making shoes and bags.

The materials/tools :
DSC_1564.JPG

I started making a cylinder shape for the body:
DSC_1575.JPG

inside, I put a shoulder strap that will surely help to carry the weight of the costume
DSC_1566.JPG

Cutting circles for the goggle:
DSC_1570.JPG

cutting the upper teeth
DSC_1571.JPG

When we visited a mall near our place to gather some supplies (glue stick, styro ball), i've seen this:
10603660_1508477376061354_7061131810046597900_n.jpg

a costume contest for kids ages 10 and below and the theme was "Day of the villains". We decided to join the contest. So the plan was first, to create an evil minion (purple) and then after the contest, i will just repaint it with yellow and modify some parts.

The paints that I used and my cute niece :D
DSC_1573.JPG

Here's a look at the minion's body painted and teeth attached:
DSC_1567.JPG

for the eye balls, i used a styro ball and cut it in half:
DSC_1574.JPG

for the hair, i used slice foam and shaped it to form a cylinder, I then cut and glued plastic strings as hair strands:
DSC_1577.JPG

DSC_1565.JPGDSC_1293.JPGDSC_1292.JPG

Costume Contest Pre judging - i forgot to bring the hair :D
DSC_1296.JPG

We made it to the final 10, but not lucky enough to win the contest, but its ok. The happiness it brought to the kids itself is priceless :D
DSC_1331.JPG

Last edited:
Re: gila's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry : Minion

After seeing my son wearing the costume, my nephew (my son's cousin) wanted to be an evil minion as well. So the next day, he's the one wearing the costume. :D

DSC_1352.JPGDSC_1387.JPGDSC_1388.JPG

More pics:
DSC_1360.JPGDSC_1366.JPGDSC_1391.JPG

DSC_1394.JPGDSC_1396.JPG

The costume got a lot of attention even without a person in it :D
DSC_1374.JPGDSC_1375.JPGDSC_1376.JPG
DSC_1377.JPGDSC_1379.JPGDSC_1380.JPG

Last edited:
Re: gilas's 2014 Halloween Costume Contest Entry : Minion

Because scary costumes were discourage in my son's costume party, I repainted and modified it a bit. This is what it became from evil minion to a good minion :D

DSC_1442.JPGDSC_1443.JPGDSC_1444.JPG

This time we're lucky to win :D

DSC_1477.JPGDSC_1516.JPGDylanBestCostume.jpg

Last edited:

There's another costume contest near our place and we decided to join. The theme was "Scary and Sweet Halloween". Because the yellow minion is not scary looking, I need to modify it again. And because both my son and my nephew wants to be part of the contest, I made another one. Here are some pictures of them:

DSC_1559.JPGDSC_1538.JPGDSC_1544.JPG

This was our luckiest day because both of our costumes won :D
DSC_1561.JPGDSC_1546.JPGDSC_1555.JPG

Last edited:

Awesome!! I love the minions. I was Gru from Despicable Me this year, so I'm glad to see other fans.

Awesome!! I love the minions. I was Gru from Despicable Me this year, so I'm glad to see other fans.

Thanks mate! Minions are cute yellow being, maybe that's the reason why everyone loves them, including myself :D For sure you had a great time when you was Gru. :D

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back