Frozen Costumes Elsa, Hans, and maybe Anna :)

TeresaMRoberts

Trying to plan another trip to Disney around Halloween :) so I'm starting on our costumes now. Ran out of time last time for my costume lol anyway thinking Frozen. My 7 year old daughter wants to be Elsa, and my 8 year old Hans and if there is time I'll be Anna! Ok been scouring some cosplay blogs using some ideas, changing, and coming up with my own. I'm staring with Elsa. After week or two found all the fabric I will be using :) I orders only a swatch of the bodice fabric but I really like it. They are now out of stock and will be 3 more weeks before I can order it but here are the fabrics. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391270923.009578.jpg

Sparkle Organza for the cape (color peacock)
From spandex world I got their Sheer Glitter/pattern (color turquoise) for the arms
Glissenette (color turquoise) for the skirt
Dangle Square Sequins on mesh (color aqua) for bodice
Rayon Lycra (aqua) because the bodice and skirt material is thin and see though this is to line them both.
u8ujajy7.jpg

(This is the sleeve material)

Last edited:
Ok so I've started on the cape first. I watch the scene where Elsa's dress transforms aloe and found this image on deviant art. And used it as "guidelines"

http://katinka0921.deviantart.com/art/Elsa-Cape-Design-421658247

vasupeju.jpg

And drew out my pattern. I'm 100% self taught. But I've always tried to make my patterns like my store bought ones. I drew half the cape. The center piece on a fold and my two other sections to cut 2 out at a time so the pieces are exactly the same. With that being said I got a new tool I've been wanting so bad!! A heated fabric cutter. It seals the edges of synthetic fabrics (ex nylon, polyester) as it cuts so no fraying! I didn't want to hem the cape I thought it would take away from the flowing of the fabric. I work with A LOT of synthetic fabric and I've had my eye on this tool for a while! And it works awesome!! Love it and would recommend it to anyone. Sliced though my fabric like butter. On thicker fabrics you can do several layers at a time and pull a part the pieces but when I used it on sparkle organza the layers edge melted together and fabric doesn't just pull apart, it wants to rip. So I learned that with thin fabrics cut one layer at a time to prevent that. I know it sounds rough and time consuming but it was easer to cut my patter on with this than scissors. It usually takes me for ever to cut pieces out and my back starts hurting because I'm hunched over doing. This just keep slicing and soooo quick and easy. Just keep blade clean of melted fabric.
9umumyqy.jpg

There is a foot attachment that I didn't show here, put the foot on to protect the surface under the fabric :)

So I slices out the pieces and sewed it together.
jute4a8u.jpg

Now I say some one use stencils and glitter to make make the design on the back of her cape and it was beautiful! She made her stencils from duct tape and an exacto knife. I thought her poor little hand!! Plus she said duct tape keepers trying to rip the fabric. Sooo I am improving her idea. I got a vinyl shower curtain from the Dollar Tree store. Laid it out and used 505 temporary fabric adhesive. I've used several "brands" and the have all different amounts of stickiness to them. If you do this test it first you dont want a tacky residue on your fabric after you are done. That's y I'm using 505 spray it can be more expensive but better for this project. I then sprayed liner with 505 spray and put cape done face down.
u8etu7e4.jpg

I cut off the extra liner ( I'll use this for snow flake stencils later)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276930.433344.jpg

Now I'm drawing the basic design on the white vinyl. I'll cut out the pieces where I want to have glitter and use fabric mog podge with glitter.
mara8ege.jpg

Pretty aggravated with the post office because I ordered glitter from artglitter.com and they have lost it. Grrr it left AZ and never arrived anywhere. USPS is investigating, so I'll have to pause until I get my glitter!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391275370.738253.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391275370.738253.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 766
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276097.056959.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276097.056959.jpg
    304.9 KB · Views: 348
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276219.865224.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276219.865224.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 920
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276746.212328.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391276746.212328.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 1,147
Last edited:
Looks good! I love the shape on the train there.

You should have no problems with the kids dressing up, however, Disney can be a bit sticky about adults who look too much like a legit in-park character. A lot of people split the difference by "Disneybounding," which is more like creating regular-ish fashion that strongly implies a character. (Not saying don't do it, but wanted to advise you all the same that you may need a Plan B for your clothing that day just in case.)

That's for the heads up but we'll be dressing up only for the mickeys not so scary Halloween party and adults are encouraged to dress up for that :) adults are not allowed to dress up in disney costumes any other time of year. Not my first rodeo ;) love disney wish I could costume professionally for them!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391400149.603637.jpg

Finished drawing on the basic design I also used some others online designs as well. I cut the top part of of the stencil out and I'm working on making snowflakes for the top.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391400336.870508.jpg

I would love to start glittering tomorrow. I picked up some glitter from Joann's today but USPS found my package and it will be delivered tomorrow. I'll pick out what colors I like the most :)

Seriously my package never has came... USPS routed it wrong bleck 2 day priority whatever! Got tried of waiting went to Joann's and got silver and aquamarine. Looks like it will match the fabric I bought.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391657870.434557.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391657929.602206.jpg

Still need to make snowflake stencils for bottom part of the cape :) it's a prettier fade in person glitter isn't catching in the camera :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391657913.156010.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391657913.156010.jpg
    381.6 KB · Views: 487
So.... Silly Question if the shower curtain is attached to the cape, how did you cut it out without cutting the cape?
And the shower curtain was a brilliant idea.

I cut out the cape design I wanted first, sewed it. Then used 505 spray (temp fabric adhesive) to attach it to shower curtain. The carefully cut out the design in the shower curtain without cutting the fabric :)

We postponed our trip and my daughter is having me make her a centaur costume lol ( big change I know) my son won a big costume contest last year and got to be on cable TV. My daughter came up with a complicated costume to try and win the contest this year. Sorry!!! Looks like it will be a while before I come back to this one!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back