Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Re: Foam Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo...small update chest coated and primered

No problem, I was introduce to this method of coating by docholiday78 so we should be thanking him :)

Re: Foam Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo...small update chest coated and primered

Any problems with the rondo chipping off or cracking? I'm curious exause I could see something like that happening. But dang, bro! Your suit looks amazing!
I'm still in the building phase with mine. So I'm still trying to decide what the best coating method would be.
Good luck.

thanks man, wait till ya see it painted, im painting it right now just took break between coats and so far it hasnt but if it does i dont care i aint doin it again unless i get paid for it lol whatever coating you decide im sure it'll look cool

i decided to follow your work ! i will coat mine with rondo !!!

Hey doc gotta say man this is amazing I'm currently making cog armor for my self and I was thinking of using this method for certain parts just one question if I don't use what you used to seal the suit can I just use white glue diluted? Thanks again for being so helpful bro the build is amazing gotta say every time I come on this site I'm blown away with what I learn next

Re: Foam Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo...chest painted up

Chest painted n took some quick pics to show ya'll. Didnt put all armor on way to tired...long day:sleep I'll post better pics soon but might be alittle while for next update. Hope you guys like ....

i decided to follow your work ! i will coat mine with rondo !!!
If ya need help let me know

Hey doc gotta say man this is amazing I'm currently making cog armor for my self and I was thinking of using this method for certain parts just one question if I don't use what you used to seal the suit can I just use white glue diluted? Thanks again for being so helpful bro the build is amazing gotta say every time I come on this site I'm blown away with what I learn next

Thanks man. To be honest I never tried diluted white glue so I couldnt tell ya, but Ive read that people do use it for sealing their foam.
I dont see why not as long as its sealed is all that matters, good luck

The chest looks killer mate! Me likey! :thumbsup

Thanks dude and yours came out real cool too

I know it's probably been covered here and there and everywhere multiple times, but I'm asking only because I've seen differing things ...

You mix the Bondo and the resin on a 1:1 ratio.

Which catalyst/hardener do you use? I've seen some people say that you use the hardener that comes with the resin. I've seen others say you use the catalyst for the Bondo. I've seen others say you use both.

I would have to assume that, if you only use one catalyst or the other, the other ingredient (ie: the Bondo or the resin) still manages to cure so that it doesn't remain sticky or soft, right?

Is one way better than others? What's the 'preferred' method for beginners?

I think he told he use the hardener that came with the bondo because the curring time was longer and it allowed him to coat the big pieces in one time before the mix started to cure.

I'm Impressed, I have become a fan of the full foam suit with rondo method. I myself am still a cardboard medium guy but I do have a MK6 in foam I made and will rondo a piece of it soon to see how it holds up? Your suit is a true master piece so congrats for a job and time well spent. My advice for new guy's that try making a suit "Stop Rushing It". Take your time. I've seen some stuff posted that's plain horrible...The quality is garbage. Take your time and you will appreciate your effort and enjoy it more. So docholiday78 keep up the good work dude and set the bar for your rondo based suit. Keep building!.....:love

Nice work. I'm making a steel version suit right now myself. I haven't started on the legs yet. Good job man.

I know it's probably been covered here and there and everywhere multiple times, but I'm asking only because I've seen differing things ...

You mix the Bondo and the resin on a 1:1 ratio.

Which catalyst/hardener do you use? I've seen some people say that you use the hardener that comes with the resin. I've seen others say you use the catalyst for the Bondo. I've seen others say you use both.

I would have to assume that, if you only use one catalyst or the other, the other ingredient (ie: the Bondo or the resin) still manages to cure so that it doesn't remain sticky or soft, right?

Is one way better than others? What's the 'preferred' method for beginners?
exactly what MrBibou wrote, just the bondo hardner cures slower, i tried them both by them selves and together and the best results was with just bondo hardner cuz it currs slower and not left sticky

I think he told he use the hardener that came with the bondo because the curring time was longer and it allowed him to coat the big pieces in one time before the mix started to cure.

Thanks again MrBibou :) glad someones payin attention to what i write lol
Your armor looks amazing! Best foam armor I've seen!

Thanks Arrow :)

I'm Impressed, I have become a fan of the full foam suit with rondo method. I myself am still a cardboard medium guy but I do have a MK6 in foam I made and will rondo a piece of it soon to see how it holds up? Your suit is a true master piece so congrats for a job and time well spent. My advice for new guy's that try making a suit "Stop Rushing It". Take your time. I've seen some stuff posted that's plain horrible...The quality is garbage. Take your time and you will appreciate your effort and enjoy it more. So docholiday78 keep up the good work dude and set the bar for your rondo based suit. Keep building!.....:love

Thanks BlackDynamo! comin from someone at your level of craftsmanship means alot man :D

Nice work. I'm making a steel version suit right now myself. I haven't started on the legs yet. Good job man.

Thanks samurai, wow out of metal? awesome! cant wait to see that..

I think after seeing this thread, I might have to give up on Pep and try the foam method! One gets so tired of 643,237 folds...

I think after seeing this thread, I might have to give up on Pep and try the foam method! One gets so tired of 643,237 folds...

lol yup alot of folding, thats the main reason I made this thread to show what I could do with foam and that your foam armor doesnt have to end up looking like "foam armor" it can look just as cool as a pepped one. Like I said before You guys dont have to do it with rondo the point is just dont be afraid to experiment and try new things which I ve been seeing more of lately which is awesome.

wanna show you guys paint job after wetsandin, compound and polish now its oh so shiny lol ya can see reflections pretty good its pretty sweet and i havent built my arc reactor so i put bottom of gatarade bottle just to not have a hole for now lol

Re: Foam Ironman Mark VII coated with rondo, paint now smooth n shiny like glass

Wow, this is looking killer.. Really nice paintjob, your chest piece looks gorgeous..
One thing is troubling me though : the chest looks different on the pics. I mean, it looks like it's not a hard piece, almost like you could bend it.

Maybe it's just the angle but it looks quite soft but with a hard aspect, like a pep piece.
Anyways, it's a beauty.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back