First ever build: Iron Bat

PropGeek

Hi to all members on this amazing forum!
I attempt to build myself an Iron Bat suit.
Something like that: Iron Bat | Carddit
Since the Helmet is the first thing to get, I started with Sisko04, who sold his fiberglass Iron Man helmet (Can't remember the original builder, sorry).

Now eagerly awaiting Zabana's gloves (I looked at his pepakura-files and fainted :lol), so bought those, too.

I want to build the rest of the costume out of foam, an gathered some Ideas for the style itself, but this will take a while, because I have to get the materials first.

Last edited:
hey man just wanted you to know i fully support this build good luck its going to be awesome. included some refrence pics for you of my iron bat helmet build just thought they might help i never got round to doing a full build though wish i did cant wait to see your progress

i just wanted to point out that that is my design from about 6 months back and people all over the web keep stealing it and passing it on as their own (not you, the guy you linked to)

I'm confused!!
if you check my threads or deviantart account, you will see that i made the picture that he is taking for reference.
i have no problem with anyone building the costume, infact i encourage it, i just want to point out that someone out there stole my picture and is getting my internet fame :D

if you check my threads or deviantart account, you will see that i made the picture that he is taking for reference.
i have no problem with anyone building the costume, infact i encourage it, i just want to point out that someone out there stole my picture and is getting my internet fame :D

I've noticed that too. It's made rounds on several online media pages.

Wow, this thread has taken an interesting way...

To EyeofSauron: Thanks for the Inspiration!
To firebapx: Thanks for another Inspiration!

After an extended google search to decide which Batsymbol to get for the chest, i found this litle gem: 70 Years of Bat Logos | Vectorss
Its vektor-based, that means you can blow it up to wall-size and more :lol, so its easy to make the final symbol crisp and sharp.

Now I need some help:
Where in Austria can I get the needed basic materials?

I know that campingmats are made out of EVA, but the ones that i found cost 25 Euros and up!
I've found a shop in Vienna who sells EVA for insulating, and they gave away some test pieces (but it's too expensive to get all the foam there)
Google says that plastazote is nearly the same stuff as EVA, and I found this shop in germany who sells plastazote-mats (and the seller notes in their ebay-shop "suitable for LARP-builds") Unser Onlineshop (under "Flightcase & Co/Schaumstoff")
Has anybody used that stuff before?

For sealing I now a place to get Plastidip, but that stuff is expensive! Recommendations for "PVA-Glue", but what is that in german? Wood glue (Holzkleber)?

With said test pieces I've tried some glues.
Hot glue didn't make it - its always to cold when I get the two pieces together.
So I've tried Contact Cement. "Pattex Kraftkleber Gel" does the job - when I used force to get the glued parts apart, the material ripped, not the glued part.
Thoughts?

For building up the ears on the helmet and extending it a little more down to the neck (as you can see in the pictures, I've got a big head :rolleyes) I've thought about Paper, Outside hardened, Inside fibergassed, Outside Bondo. Recommended brands, anyone?

That's what I came up so far - all thought, no building...

well arent you lucky i am from austria? :D
you can get EVAfoam puzzle mats at "bauhaus" 6 pieces about 65x65cm, for 25bucks around. also 4 pieces of the same you can buy at "zgonc"

for sealing, i used wood glue (pattex PVH holz leim, baumax 1kg ca 8 €)

i glued every part on my iron man with hot glue. dont use to much at once tho, thats why it cools on you.

for my helmet i used 2 mm foam (moosgummi),but as you have a resin helmet, build the pepakura file ear templates, resin and fill them, and glue them on with superglue, epoxy or something similar

What I have done so far:
Found the "bauhaus" foam EyeofSauron mentioned, the stuff I bought there before was too thick (1,2 cm and even more dense), this one is "only" 1 cm thick and softer.
For smaller parts and/or detailing I've got "moosgummi" in 4 and 2 mm thickness.
I experimented with glueing that stuff with a glue gun (seems I have found a good technique).
Read more about other builds and sealing/painting.
Bought zabana's gloves in XL.
Collected pictures of Batman to inspire me for ears to build and attach to the helmet.
Bought red EL Tape (for the eyes) and red EL sheet for the Chest.
The sheet is A5, so I googled around for Batman emblems, found a couple I liked and photoshopped these to scale to an inverted screenshot of "IM_Mark 6_Chest_ -STEALTH Foam Edit- LETTER.pdo":

The third one's maybe too big, but that's the maximum size the emblem could be.
For the rest of the suit I think I will mix foam files from different Iron man suits and tweak them a little - not figured out yet finally.

Zabana's XL gloves, the puzzle: :lol
raiv9is5.jpg

Puzzle solved:
f48d9kn2.jpg

Compared with his standard size gloves:
x7u5e7wh.jpg

Link to his sale on the junkyard: http://www.therpf.com/f13/iron-man-war-machine-gloves-xl-size-150507/

do you have a decathlon store in austria? I tried the foam stuff from "bauhaus" too, but it's too thick for my taste and costs arround 30€ here in germany....decathlon has 2 types of foam...one is some kind of fitness mat...6,5mm thick and costs arround 3 € ( JFCustom uses this all the time...) and some kind of anti fatique matts...8mm thick and costs arround 15 €...

cheers, Gonzo

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back