First build: daft punk Thomas Bangalter helmet

RowBoatCop

Hi guys, I got some great feedback about painting this thing last week which helped me get over the line in time for this past weekends festivities, so I just thought I'd post a few pics of the process. This is my first time attempting any serious prop building, so it's nowhere near the standard of the usual stuff on here but as a Halloween costume I think it worked out ok!

My main materials were a kids motocross helmet, some plastic placemats from ikea & a few plastic clipboards. I wanted to do the construction in plastic so that assuming I got the lines right I'd be able to prime & paint without having to use bondo/filler, which I have zero experience with.

eje5yse7.jpg

As I was doing this freehand from reference photos I has some trouble figuring out the curve on the visor, in the end I ended up building a sub structure for the lighter plastic visor top to sit on using the heavier clipboard plastic.

2a5yduge.jpg

masyzynu.jpg

After much trial & error I got the upper visor looking close to what I wanted, then it was on to the lower portion, I had to cut away more of the helmet "jaw" as I went along as it made the mouth part look far too out of proportion!

e8u7ygu6.jpg

5u3aqy2u.jpg

Eventually got the basic shape down.

ahy4e9e2.jpg

Next I trimmed the sides of the visor & started figuring out the shapes that made up the temple areas. I also got an a2 sheet of 2mm thick acetate from an art shop to use for the visor, I has originally planned to tint it using the fabric dye method, but I found no matter what I did (temperature/ amount of dye) it curled up and didn't take the tint at all. I ended up using a plastic document folder as a tint, horribly cloudy but I was short on time. Also here I was messing with the ear pucks, I ended up not using the lights, but I may add them in some form in future.

apyju5es.jpg

I then finished off the temple area, ended up using a couple of hair gel lids for the ears, along with some weird plastic things I found at the DIY shop, also I filled in the holes left from where the motocross visor attached with thumb tack tops & hot glue ( clearly I'm very anti filler!)

jeqe5avu.jpg

Finished the construction & gave it some primer, then gloss black, this was less than 24 hours before I had to have it ready for a part so I was under pressure!

9e2ubagu.jpg

abuge9ut.jpg

udeza4e8.jpg

I forgot to take a proper picture of my led rig, I borrowed an idea from I believe Chaz over at the daft club, basically stripping the led board out of a programmable scrolling message thing meant for a car rear window, making a bracket to hold it in a curve and praying it doesn't snap in two. Swapping out the car connection with a 9v battery was handy enough even for me.

ujy7yzun.jpg

And the finished product! The thing I don't like is due to the helmet not being a great size overall it's a little too big, but I tried to make the proportions look right at least. Thanks to those who gave me advice last week, and thanks rpf, never would have thought I could put something like this together if I hadn't been lurking on here seeing just what was possible when you put your mind to something!

pymyhuda.jpg

de9uha9a.jpg

ry7ugaqu.jpg

8azebemy.jpg

How did you set up and program of the lighting elements?

the display I bought from ebay comes with a remote which allows for programming in, there's space for 4 different programs at about 150 characters each if I remember correctly.

12V Red Car LED Message Sign Scrolling Display Board Programmable with Remote | eBay

It's very simple to take apart & change over the power source, bending the display is a bit scary though, the bracket I made to hold it in the curve is 19cm, that's about as much as I felt comfortable bending it before it felt like it would snap in two

Edit: the listing actually says 9 programs at 250 characters. To add to the effect I added in a bunch of symbols and things to the programs, it works very well despite not being one of the high end displays people put together

Last edited:
I love when Thomas builds use really basic bases such as a motorcycle helmet and turn it into a robot helmet! Nice work

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back