FILE RELEASED: Tie Pilot Helmet Pepakura

xaosbringer

****UPDATE******

Ok Folks.

Here it is. Free for all to build and re-size, If you wish to mass mould it then I urge you (i'll not force the matter) to PM me regarding a donation towards my current adoption fundraising efforts.

Xaosbringer - Tie Pilot Bucket - Download - 4shared

Unfolded the best of my time crunched abilities.. If there is someone else out there who wants to RE- unfold the file OR Unfold it for Foam then by all means please do (just pass a copy of the foam unfold my way)

Anyway Have fun folks.

Xaosbringer

"Imagination is more important than knowledge, Knowledge is limited, Imagination encircles the world". Albert einstein

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well after a good deal of searching I've not managed to find a Tie Pilot Pep, Now my Google-fu might not be great OR site search buttons might hate me, so if anyone finds one here then let me know. but I digress, I took it upon myself to convert a 3dfile to a pep and then build it.

And there-in lies the problem. Being a father of 6 you have to understand that time time is limited, so I have to get pepping things in when I can. Fortunately my boss Doesn't mind me pepping at my desk on lunch, and things tend to take a while to actually built. So without further ado here's the progress so far:

*NOTE* until the build is complete this file will not be available. I don't want to release 1/2 way done jobs. Once I know it can be built and I've corrected certain mistakes in the file I will release it for use *END NOTE*

We start with the recently converted File. The helmet Pep currently is only 141 parts over 28 pages and if everything works out is scaled for my noggin. Even though it has Minimal Fiddly bits to do and even then it is not for the faint of heart.

We quickly follow with the tools being used: (this is not a be-all end all list just what I've found to be the most effective for me when Im pepping)

2 x-acto knives. 1 for cutting and one for scoring.
A self healing mat (so my boss cant yell at me for damaging the desk)
Elmers Glue all. I cant stand getting super glue on my fingers. And there Fiddly bits are to fiddly for Hot glue.
a 15cm steel ruler. Awesome for making fold lines fold.
Sharp edged Tweezers for folding the fiddly bits and holding parts of the pep together.
a Spoon for squeezing the glue into the handle for ease of access,
and Wooden coffee stir sticks for both Glue application AND structural support where needed.

And Lastly onto the build itself:

Lunch 1

Lunch2

Lunch 3

Lunch 4

Updates on this may be daily and on "an as and when rown-tuit" timescale. But they should most certainly be over the weekend

I also do not claim the original 3d file to be one of my creation I happened upon it through Google, and thought it would be adequate for the plan at hand.

I hope you enjoy following this as much as I am enjoying building it.

Tassian Xaosbringer.

Last edited:
Re: Tie Pilot Lid (Its going to be pic heavy)

Okies New update.

Here's the inner dome sported by Bartleby my Head double

Lunch 5

Lunch 6
Here's part of the Helmet back collar / ear covers,

Lunch 7

Lunch 8

It all seems to be coming together nicely. I've only had to alter a few parts However I'm rapidly reaching the point where I might need to learn some more about Blender so I can edit the model further as there are numerous parts of the helmet that do not have attachments where they sit so Its all having to be glued in place by hand and eye.

Tassian Xaosbringer

Thats really clean so far dude! nice work!

Last edited:
Tie Pilot Helmet Pepakura

Test Fitting.

With the face part almost completed and the Inner helmet complete Its time to see how well it all matches up.

Without some serious messing around with the original 3dfile to make it a single cohesive pep. I'm going to be strengthening each larger part (Helmet Inner / outer / Mohawk and Face plate) before fitting and assembling the helmet as a hole mainly because that's how it was modeled, This will make the helmet a bit heavier but it will make it easier to put it all together and make fitting adjustments.

Tassian Xaosbringer.

Re: Tie Pilot Helmet Pepakura

Lunch 9&10

It's been a busy week and I forgot to take piccies of making the outer lid. So here's the Outer part of the helmet Super-glued in place. I never thought I would be using superglue in a pep but it has its place :)

Its almost fully pep'd. All it really needs now it the Mohawk. I'll be adding the greeblies later once I've slapped on the bondo. It seems fruitless to do the fiddly bits when there is some seriously wrist cracking sanding to be done.

Superb skills! Intrigued by the idea of the inner and outer helmets - can you elaborate a bit on that, please?

xaosbringer - You mentioned you would never have thought youd use superglue in a pep, me I use superglue all the time, what do you use?

Last edited by a moderator:

Elmers Glue all. Multi purpose glue.

I find it easier to correct any fat finger mistakes I make when I deal with Teeny tiny tabs. It slows me down when I'm pepping that way I don't repeat my first Halo Helmet mistakes of pepping something inside out because I was in to much of a rush to see the final work. Plus Me and Superglue are not a good combination.

Ok Blaxmyth

It all boils down to the 3d model I used when making the Pep. Im a self taught 3d modeller with a Seriously Minimal knowledge of Blender. The original creator of the 3d model made the helmet up of various parts, and rather than edit out all the parts that we not visible I decided to keep the structure as it was when I imported the fileinto pepakura. It turns out that due to the visible complexity of the Tie Pilot's helmet to have worked in my favour.

Heres the part breakdown in Pepakura

Inner:

Outer:

Combined:

Sure it means alot more work, But it will lead to a stronger, and more stable helmet once I've Resin'd it all. And once complete I wont have to mess around putting in as much padding and supports so the Helmet sits correctly on my head.

Hope I managed to get across where im coming from with the design / build choice.

Wow! This is Pepakura gold! Is there any chance that you'd be willing to make this file available? (Insert pleading and grovelling icons here...)

Awesome work. I was just thinking about trying my hand at a Tie Fighter helmet. If you do make the file available, it will definitely rise to the top of my to-do list.

Welllllll I was sooo close to having it almost complete that I goofed off a bit at work. And here's the results. Yes I know its not perfect but that can all be fixed in the next stages. After all Its only loosely held together in a couple of spots until I can transport it home to resin.

Yes I will be making the File available once I've tweaked it a bit more. I'm prepared to put up with more flaws than most folks in a pep file, And being as this is the first file I'll be releasing I don't really want to arrive with a spludge or a group of Angry pitchfork wielding pepakura builders because so much of the file is poorly put together. BUT if people really want it in its current form then PM me and I'll get it to you.

*WARNING* This file is not for the Faint of Heart, The easily frustrated, OR the easily upset.*WARNING*

Also any budding 3d artists out there want the original helmet file to tweak / clean up then I'm willing to part with that ON the sole proviso that they return the cleaned up file to me.

Hi Tauriice

Yes I will be releasing it. It just needs a tweak or 2. I have to say I checked out your Tumblr site and Man Thats some pretty sweet stuff you have going on there. And some pretty lucky kids :)

Xaosbringer

Well It survived the ride home, Now its the slow part. Just need to pick up some more Resin. I used the last of mine Fiberglassing my Custom Pred Bio.

It can sit with the other projects on my work bench. *fingers Crossed* I'll get them finished up too.

- - - Updated - - -

So awesome!!!!

Many thanx. We aim to please.

Looks awesome. Can't wait for you to put the file up.

Thanx :D

Being as I have to wait to get the Resin I need. I'm currently on removing all the issues I had from the original 3d file, shouldn't be to long now.. a couple of days at most. then a couple more for those that actually want it unfolded. :p

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back