Fiberglass Resin vs. Smooth Cast...again

Ibnzbass4

I know this is a topic that has been discussed on and off for the past 2 years, but as there is a new crop of pepakura builders out there, I am curious if anyone would be willing to share their two cents on this topic again. I have a pepped helmet that I am getting ready (finally) to solidify. I have the resin and fiberglass cloth out in the garage, and the smooth-on facility is right down the road from me. Therefore, both options are readily available. So putting cost aside, I am trying to decide which method to try first. On the one hand, the resin and glassing method has been well tested. But I am curious about using the smooth-on as discussed by Xrobots. Granted I am not using foam (so the PVA step is both unnecessary, and could cause problems with the card stock build since it is water based) but I have been considering painting on 3 or 4 layers of either Smooth Cast 65D or Smooth Cast 305 on the outside, and then basically slush/roto casting with more on the inside. I plan on picking up the smooth cast anyway as I am partially building a piece of shoulder armor with foam. I know Xrobots recommends resin for large cardstock pieces and smooth cast for foam, but how about for a cardstock helmet?

I have seen some discussion about this both here and on the 405th, but most of it was theoretical. I am wondering if anyone has actually used the smooth cast method for a cradstock helmet, or perhaps has done both and can discuss it more. I did not want to hijack Xrobots' thread so I am posting here.

For the record (in case it is relevant to the topic) I am building a Dredd helmet (courtesy of Dung0beetle) which I plan to wear for costuming, but will not be making into a mold or otherwise producing in bulk.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back