Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger Finished! pg 8

Kommissar

or as some know him: "that cool looking dude on the front cover of the new vegas game"

fallout-new-vegas.jpg

pretty fond of the design of this guy, so i decided to try my hand at making the best i can for him.
was eager to try out foam armor techniques i see popping around, and wanted to see what different thickness foam will do when combined..

I've now finished the armor, over a month after i started this project, and it worked out nicely.
for those who want a spoiler, heres a shot of the finished work, more pics are on page 8.
NCR01BW-sml.jpg
(special thanks to Ed209 for the awesome photoshop edit above)
5362505129_9d36c007b4_b.jpg

so i started with the armored riot vest first.

i drew a paper plan by hand, eye'ballin' it and then copied a symetrical version of it to card stock till i was satisfied,
after that i cut the shapes in foam.
P9180595.jpg

and rounded the edges
P9220602.jpg

started to form them into good shapes with some heat.
P9220601.jpg

and then glued them down, as well as using some elastic strapping to make a "rig" for the vest to be wearable.
P9230603.jpg

the black duster is a place holder till i make the proper coat, but it's to give an impression of how the coat will hang on the armor.

P9230604.jpg

P9230605.jpg

a little dorky right now, but i think it's ready for some battle damage, weathering and some stencil paints.

all and all, i'm pretty happy with how this was this weekend's work.
and a rainy weekend at that! which usually sucks the creativity right out of me.
P9230607.jpg

on a side note, i changed the pattern, the shapes i cut were a little uncomfortable, so i ended up making something closer to this.
i made these changes as i was gluing the pieces together, realized i did not need the psudo shoulder guards, and they just got in the way, and you need a lot more armpit hole than i first expected
vestchange.jpg

Last edited:
Re: Fallout New Vegas: NCR Veteran Ranger

Awesome dude, keep it up! I love this gear in New Vegas.

SUBSCRIBED. I have a friend attempting to do this costume, so I was thrilled to see this pop up!

Best of luck! Where do you get your foam? I've got some armor projects I need to get around to doing.

looks awesome....i think i saw a pep file for the helmet somewhere the other day....i'll have a look...

EDIT: here we go....i think its just a rip of the game model but it should be a good starting point

http://www.deviantart.com/users/out...fo/paperpokes//Misc./NCR Ranger Helm PDOs.rar

actually...looking at it....it just sorta highlights how weak the fallout graphics are at realising the designs...but oh well...lol...its still fun...

nice job bro , had one little question tho is see that you have rounded the corners verry nice and smooth how did you do it so clean ?

grtz

Very cool so far and for the duster you may have to modify one as I've only seen them like the one you have on in the pic (which is the style mine is). I'd suggest for it something that looks heavy duty but isn't that heavy to wear as its gonna get real hot in all that foam.

the duster looks like its made from Oilskin.
A friend of mine making a Cade Skywalker costume has a modded Oilskin duster and its scarily similar.

Woo! didn't expect this many replies.

The foam is the regular Harbor Freight, anti fatigue floor matting stuff that EvilFX used for his Mass Effect armor.
I used a bandsaw to cut the foam,
I used a belt sander to round the edges,

Thank you Robo, for giving me a 3d file of the mask, i've yet to find one i like for accurate reference, so i'll give it a look.
I may resort to using a Pep papercraft file if i can find a good one.
the guys at watelandoutpost are working on a very high detail one.
the actual helmet will be metal though.. more realism.

JwStroud, i was going to do the rifle, but i'm leaning towards the revolver pistol and perhaps an NCR flag, i mean i live in California, i should be able to get a regular one pretty easy and mod it, it'd also make for some fun photos.
Also, AC2:BH is great, had the ending spoiled by a room mate, but the multiplayer is fantastic. (for those with a 360, my tag is: TigerFox 360)

Cobalt, yeah i actually have a long coat pattern i plan to modify.
i was thinking either canvas or duck cloth for the actual coat.
1 point i hate is that the in game models have NO SEAM LINES!! so the coat is apparently "one piece" apart from the arms and rain guard cape, yeah.. so not going to happen that way.

Sakara, nice to see you here on these forums, i'm on a pretty popular thread with you about mass effect on a different site, good 90 or so pages of it.
didn't realize it was you till you started using your asari photo.
do you have any shots of the oilskin duster?

ahhh small world!

I'll check with my friend , see if if he has any photos of the coat. Ive seen it in rela life and it looks the same as the fallout coat.

Woo! didn't expect this many replies.

Cobalt, yeah i actually have a long coat pattern i plan to modify.
i was thinking either canvas or duck cloth for the actual coat.
1 point i hate is that the in game models have NO SEAM LINES!! so the coat is apparently "one piece" apart from the arms and rain guard cape, yeah.. so not going to happen that way.

I bet if the one in the game was made in the real world it wouldn't be one piece, i just don't think they put the stitching in. Especially when materials are far from perfect. I buy coat patterns cheap all the time in case i need them. I'd love to find a duster to modify but the one i have is hard enough to maintain (they put too much oil on it at the factory and it gets moldy no matter what). at least with some other material its lightweight and cheap.

I bet if the one in the game was made in the real world it wouldn't be one piece, i just don't think they put the stitching in. Especially when materials are far from perfect. I buy coat patterns cheap all the time in case i need them. I'd love to find a duster to modify but the one i have is hard enough to maintain (they put too much oil on it at the factory and it gets moldy no matter what). at least with some other material its lightweight and cheap.

the pattern i have right now, that i plan to add too, is a matrix style coat, by simplicity
Simplicity Patterns - Simplicity 5386 - Simplicity Sewing Patterns for Costumes - Simplicity Pattern Reviews

i figure it's as good as any, to add the higher collar and rain cape onto.

bought it originally for a dr horrible coat, but that never took off the ground.

That looks amazing! I want to do this too, so looking forward to seeing the progress!

Awesome job so far!

Thanks for the tips on the material and rounding it. One other question, could you get a photo of the back for the harness and attachment. Working on some Sith armor and I'm not getting how to securely attach straps to it.

the pattern i have right now, that i plan to add too, is a matrix style coat, by simplicity
Simplicity Patterns - Simplicity 5386 - Simplicity Sewing Patterns for Costumes - Simplicity Pattern Reviews

i figure it's as good as any, to add the higher collar and rain cape onto.

bought it originally for a dr horrible coat, but that never took off the ground.

Those are the same ones I got. It got them for like 10.00 shipped on ebay.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back