Erebor Dwarf Armor

TheLonelyDwarf

Hello RPF,
I would like to start of by saying that I am new to the world of costume and prop making so please do not judge me too harshly. Also i am only 14 years old so i do not have close to as much talent as most of the people on this forum. Now to the project itself. I credit Gibbtall for inspiring me to take on this project and I hope Gibbtall doesn't mind me using some of the techniques he uses. If you do please let me know.:)
I have wanted to build a Erebor dwarf armor since i saw the hobbit back in January but have not gotten to doing it because i didn't know where to start. I started building the armor a few days ago and here is my progress:
2013-11-29 10.45.45.jpg
2013-11-29 10.46.03.jpg
I made the 5/6 of the dome and the i ran out of foam!:facepalm
Ive ordered some more but it'll only come on wednesday. So while i am waiting i am making some rough templates for the arms.
2013-11-29 10.46.34.jpg
So thats my update for now the next one will probably be when i get the foam.

TheLonelyDwarf

Last edited:
I have not been able to do much so i do not have an update, but i had a question. I was looking at some pictures from The Hobbit and i saw that there were different pictures for Erebor dwarves and Moria battle dwarves. Is there any big difference in the armor itself?

If you're looking for something that matches the movies, check out my thread, I posted every good shot I could find of the Erebor Dwarves in the prologue, I'm not sure about the Moria Dwarves but I think there is a bit of a difference.

I have sad news. I started working on my helmet today again and realized it was way too small. :facepalm:( I started on a new helmet and built it to where my old helmet was. Here is a picture of it:
DSCN8684.JPG
May not look better but it actually fits and looks better in real life. Ive also cut out the eyes and will soon glue them on with the rest of the dome.
TheLonelyDwarf

Last edited:
Yes, I finally have an update! I have put in quite a lot of work into my helmet these past few days. Here is how it looks like now: image-2.jpeg
I have also designed the top of the helmet:
image-3.jpeg
I will probably move on to detailing next as for the top of the helmet i need a different type of foam that i do not have currently.
Constructive criticism is always welcome.:)
TheLonelyDwarf

Attachments

• image-4.jpg
    image-4.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Hello,
Sorry for the lack of updates. I have been very busy the past month and I have had barely any time to work on the dwarf armor. I will start working on it a lot now so you should wait for an update soon.
TheLonelyDwarf

I have a small update today. First I made both pieces for the top-front of the helmet if you know what I mean. Here they are:
image.jpg
I also made some progress with the arm pieces:
image.jpg
Sorry for the bag iPhone pictures. Will be working on the armor today so another update will be coming soon.
TheLonelyDwarf

Hi. I'm currently working on my own Erebor Dwarf but am stuck on the pauldrons. Do have a template or scetch (anything!) that could show how you achieved your shape?

Hi. I'm currently working on my own Erebor Dwarf but am stuck on the pauldrons. Do have a template or scetch (anything!) that could show how you achieved your shape?
Heres my template.
Scan 2.jpeg
Just keep in mind that this is a rough template and I made a few modifications while making the pauldron.
Good luck building!
TheLonelyDwarf

Hi again. Is this the full template? I've just printed it off and had a go at making it work but I'm a bit stumped. Sorry, I'm pretty new to this type of craft work. I usually am able to find something the right shape for what I require. Not used to making from scratch.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back