Eomer from Lord of the Rings

Guri

Sr Member
This is by far my favorite costume I've ever made. I made it for my husband, who really resembles Karl Urban.

eomerfinished.jpg
eomer.jpg

The helmet is craft foam and paper clay.
painted1.jpg

The harness is fabric.
frontweatherdone3.jpg

frontweatherdone2.jpg

The shoulder and wrist armor is cardboard, fabric and craft foam.
pauldrondetails2.jpg
weathered.jpg

The chain maille is fabric... sorry no close ups for that.

I don't think I ever made a thread on this costume here, but I do have a tutorial on my website: Eomer

EDIT - Because I didn't read the 'read this before you post' post. *hehe*

What inspired you. - I love the Eomer character, the costume design and Karl Urban (and that he looks like my huz). I don't know that I would have tackled it had those three things not all been there.

How long it took. - It's been so long, I think it took a good 6 months, but that was off and on work. Most of it wad re-engineering the design to figure out how in the heck to do each piece. The pauldrons pattern took the longest, then the helmet.

How much it cost. - because of the materials I used, it wasn't very expensive. I found the fabric for a dollar a yard and the craft foam is very inexpensive. I'd say it was easily $300 or less.

Specific details for which you are most proud. - The helmet I think is my favorite part of the costume. The way the horse turned out when all I used was paper clay amazed me. I also loved the use of paper brads (fasteners) that I got from the scrap booking section of Micheal's Craft store for rivets. It's finding such details that work to fool the eye that really get me excited when making a costume.

Tips. I have a tutorial to this on my website - link in my sig. :)

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the appreciation!

Familyman - That's awesome! How old is your son? I've learned the hard way to make the costumes on the big side for kids... as they grow SO FAST!!

Let me know if you need any pointers. I have a tutorial on my website that might help too. *link in sig*

Thanks for the info, my son is 8 and I just introduced him to LOTR and he is in a LOTR craze right now, everything has to be LOTR. He has one LOTR figure at the moment and it is his 'precious' lol. If I can find the time to work on a costume like this he will go nuts. Definately checking out your site. And again awesome work, truely awesome.

Ok sorry to post again so quickly but I have just got to say WOW, I just checked out your site and it is amazing. I am going to make him one of the pins tomorrow (I think I have everything needed laying around).

Yay! Glad you found it useful. :D I love being able to make costumes with everyday materials both for cost and just to see what is possible.

The pin is a great piece if you want to make something fast. I'd love to see it when you're done!

My youngest just watched LOTR for the first time this year at 10 - he flipped out over Legolas, so that's what I made for him.

Yay! Glad you found it useful. :D I love being able to make costumes with everyday materials both for cost and just to see what is possible.

I totally agree! I make costumes for a living, but I love to go to cons, Mardi Gras, parties, etc. and see really well made non-professional costumes, especially ones made with unusual materials. I really enjoy those "why have I never thought of that?" moments!

Great job on the whole thing. That helmet is just "Wow"!

Thanks everyone. :) I really miss my husband wearing this. He may need to grow his hair back. If he did, he could do Eomer, Thor and Fili! How can he refuse?

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back