Dread Pirate Roberts from the Princess Bride

Guri

Sr Member
For Dcon I decided to go ahead and make my husband a new costume so, I'm sort of throwing this together in a few weeks and it won't be perfect by any means. Also, we're really pushing it $ wise to afford this trip, so I have to do this as cheap as possible. I'll include what I'm spending just for fun.

Here's what I have so far.

I started trying to figure out the shoulder pleats.

dread-pirate-roberts.png

It looked like smocking to me and when I found a tutorial for honey comb smocking, I decided that was probably it or close to it:

Honeycomb Smocking Tutorial

So using that, I did it a little bit differently (to make it faster and easier)

Here's the result:

robertsarm.jpg

You can see where I sewed across and only did the stitching together after all those rows were done. I would have gone crazy trying to do all that by hand.

For the shirt fabric I'm using something I already had around as well.

I've not finishd it because I need to send these other pieces with a friend who is driving for space and so that I don't have to explain the sword to TSA. :p

The sword: The Princess Bride- Sword of the Dread Pirate Roberts (1 In Stock): Imperial Weapons, Ltd.

I didn't want to pay for that, so I decided to make it myself. I'm using wood, a piece of plastic eyeglasses that were broken, scrap leather, copper jewelry wire, epoxi clay and a bit of chrome paint. Because I already had everything except the large wood post in my personal stash of supplies, the cost for this sword is $7. And that's including the epoxi clay I got on clearance for $6 months ago before dreaming up this project.

P1040001.jpg

P1040006.jpg

robertssword2.jpg

robertssword.jpg

I'll get a photo of him holding it if i can....

The boots I'm making out of vinyl for the uppers (a pair I made years ago I'm reusing) and a pair of dress shoes I bought at the thrift store for $4... no photos of those yet.

For pants he'll be wearing black jeans - thrift store $6.

For the mask, craft foam - $1.

I'm also making the belt out of an old curtain and some heat n' bond with a buckle for a belt of mine that broke years ago. not sure how to add that up but it's probably about $.30 worth of heat n' bond.

More photos soon, I hope! Breaks over!!

Thanks Maulwalker! :)

Tastyburger: *hehe* good one.

Here are the boots - I took this just to give myself an idea of what I still need to do.

robertsboots.jpg

This is a close up of the shirt - not completed, just mocked up before I finish it - compared to the movie shirt.

robertscompare.jpg

And here is what the sword, belt and sheath look like on:

robertsmockup.jpg

And, with the sword drawn:
kevinroberts.jpg

Last edited:
Ha! My husband's and mine too - first as a couple anyway, back when we were first engaged 17 years ago. :D It's fun to revisit since I've learned so much since then. :D

My husband's name is Kevin too!

Finished the shirt and sash today. Seems like it needs some finishing touches to the costume. Maybe a belt? Not sure... Very red. haha!

DreadButtercup.jpg

I have red suede boots to wear with it, but they are in transit to Dcon with Iycis. :D

Made the masks today:

masks.jpg

I used craft foam, heat n' bond and fabric. The red one I ended up having to paint because the fabric changed colors when it heated up for some reason.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back