Doctor Who - John Hurt version

Magnoli, you are brilliant. As soon as I saw that scarf, I wanted it.

I'll be following this thread closely.

Just a humble newbie expressing his thanks.

Just that it looks like this: Screen%20shot%202013-11-21%20at%201_55_47%20PM.png

The buttons are fairly large and it's a more loosely woven fabric than you'd find on a dress shirt. Doesn't LOOK like Paul Smith, but who knows any more, haha.

I'd say that image (of the leg coverings) points to suede not canvas.

I'm not entirely sure that's accurate. Though there does appear to be a rough texture to them in the above pictures, if you look closely particularly around the tops where the buttons are you can see that it's smoother. I think the texture is from severe distressing and weathering applied to them.

The pattern of them is consistent with US WWII canvas infantry leggings, apart from the leather straps added under the boot bottoms (which would have been webbing on originals) and the button fastenings (which would have been eyelets and grommets for lacing up).

I still reckon they're canvas... made in the WWII pattern, but with buttons substituted for closure. The buttons themselves look rather like the buttons used on WWI and WWII "half shelter" pup tents.

There may have been a country who issued leggings of this sort as is... though usually leggings lace up in order to avoid having to have so many different sizes available for different legs. They may be a found item... but they may also have been custom made using an established pattern and substituting the buttons.

In any case, I believe a very SA result could be achieved by copying a WWII US infantrymans' leggings and substituting button closure and leather under straps.

To me the original colour appears to be Khaki, with either O.D. or brown acrylic paint dry brushed over the top of them to give them a soiled appearance.

I don't think they are canvas, if you look closely at the surface you can see the tell tale fibres of the leather split, and none of the warp and weft of canvas cloth.

On top of that if you look at the edges it can be seen that they are cut, and not turned over and sewn, which would give a rounded edge. If they were canvas that edge would definitely be turned or it would fray.

UHQ pics here:

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/doctor/gallery4/gallery10/gallery2/hires/13.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think they are canvas, if you look closely at the surface you can see the tell tale fibres of the leather split, and none of the warp and weft of canvas cloth.

On top of that if you look at the edges it can be seen that they are cut, and not turned over and sewn, which would give a rounded edge. If they were canvas that edge would definitely be turned or it would fray.

UHQ pics here:

http://www.farfarawaysite.com/section/doctor/gallery4/gallery10/gallery2/hires/13.jpg

Im sorry, but I can't agree with you at all. If you look again at the pictures of the leggings posted several messages up you can clearly see that the edges ARE sewn... it's particularly evident around the bottoms of the leggings and right near where the under straps are attached. you can clearly see a double stitch line there, which there would be no need of if they were leather and simply cut off at the bottom. There would be nothing to stitch too.

Also if they were leather they would have to be a buckskin or sueded soft leather. Most leather military leggings are stiff smooth leather and not a roughout style.

And if you observe that there are button holes clearly sewn around. If they were leather there would be no need to do that because they wouldn't fray if they were made of leather.

I have personally owned canvas leggings of this sort which had become so soiled that they had a leather-like appearance. I still maintain that they are canvas.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, they're definitely canvas and not leather.

View attachment 268984

These are the pictures I'm referring to

- - - Updated - - -

This link seems not to be working properly, so I can't see what you're referencing. Have you got a better link?

Then we will have to agree to disagree. Having seen the full res images in the link I posted I have no doubt that they are rough out suede.

nevq74.jpg

Respectfully, I think you may be influenced by your experience of canvas gaiters and that is pushing your opinion in that direction.

They may indeed be suede. They may also be canvas. I have seen the canvas ones look this way when they are covered with dirt/mud etc. I don't think it's possible to say 100% either way, and so it's down to opinion.

Why do you reckon there is a double stitch line all the way round? Perhaps roughout with a canvas lining?

Truthfully I can't think of a Military unit who put out suede leg gaiters. All of the ones I've seen have been either canvas or smooth leather, which is what led me to theorize that the screen used ones were probably custom made.

Does anyone know of any Military gaiters that were roughout with buttons like this?

Last edited:
Not sure, could be, the inner surface seems to be lighter coloured. Could be a double layer for strength.

Having a little google around, modern riding gaiters or half chaps seem to sometimes be made of suede (fake suede (spit) even!). But like you said, it might be the costume designer getting something run up for them.

Two things. When looking at his coat in some of the pictures the leather looks so worn down that it could be suede in some areas. Now I really am not great with any form of leather but could it be that they took a pair of leather gaiters and went to town with the weathering?

Oh and secondly for those of you like me who are just going for the overall ebay and thrift store look I found a really cheap scarf alternate. I'll most likely end up getting it to tell you guys what I think, if it works, cool, if not I've got another scarf for daily wear. And yes, I know, the pattern is off and it's an infinity scarf but a night of cutting and retooling and I'm sure it will be fine. Honestly this is probably the best you're going to find for 8 bucks.

Soft Knit Infinity Scarf 2 in 1 Loop Scarf with Hood Hoodie 10 Colors U Pick | eBay

Hey, all!

I decided that I could pull off "The War Doctor" aka "The Warrior Doctor" aka "The Other Doctor" aka "Captain Grumpy" look. So...I had about a little over a week last year to put together a costume in time to wear to the Los Angeles, CA simulcast of "The Day of the Doctor" early on November 23. As I don't sew nor do I do leather work (in fact - this was my first time doing cosplaying) - I sought out items that were "close enough". As my facial features are not as "experienced" (to put it nicely) as John Hurt and I need to drop a few pounds...I set my backstory such that I'm The War Doctor partway into the Time War. That story also allows me to not have to age my overall costume (I'm loathe to do that to my leather jacket at this point). Plus - I took some "artistic license" (more fashion, though) and went with a coordinated black color palette. Here's the result:

Who_23_4.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here are some photos I took with total strangers in the forecourt of the theater in LA (i.e. The Rave near Los Angeles International airport). The woman cosplaying "The Moment/Rose" is married to the Tenth Doctor cosplayer and they are both friends with the Eleventh Doctor cosplayer.

Who_23_1.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Who_23_6.jpg

Here's a teaser of our War Scarf prototype:

war-scarf-proto1_zpsc237119e.jpg

There are several things wrong with this first attempt (including color and pattern scale), but this will at least act as proof that we're working on it. ;) The next one should be near perfect.

Kind regards,
Magnoli

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back