Doctor Who - Eleventh Doctor costumes

LOL! I wasn't very clear. Sorry. I meant the pant legs. His are cut like floods to not only show off the boots but make him look like more of a geek. I find it hilarious considering how chicken legged he is.

Oh, yea. I'm saving the hem for last so I can try the pants on with the braces holding them up and the boots on. My boots aren't as tall as the real ones, so I will be leaving them a little long, but if I ever get the real boots they can always be hemmed up.

:) Groovy. I'm enjoying watching this evolve. It's motivating me to revisit my 8th Doctor gear and have another go at a more accurate coat again.

When I make my pants I'm definitely having a couple talks with Magnoli to see how tall his replica's of the boots would be, so I can cut them in preparation for that.
That trouser fabric looks dead on though, I'm happy you found it and shared it with the rest of us.

In regards to McGann, I'm really looking forward to making a McGann for a friend. He picked up enough of the waistcoat fabric for both of us and I got him the really accurate velvet for the coat up in LA, it's just waiting on the spare time. It's a really great costume, I just unfortunately was never a big fan of the movie.

Believe it or not: same here. I found McGann's Doctor to be perfection as was his outfit and I loved the reworked Tardis interior and Sonic Screwdriver. Beyond that most of the film bordered on camp in it's execution. One alteration to the existing costume I would suggest is hidden pockets inside the coat. The original didn't have any which meant everything would have to go in the pants pockets and that ruins the lines.

Yea, I don't think I would make a frock coat without the pair of hidden pockets.

OK, so it ended up taking forever, but I made it up to LA yesterday and got lining silk for the trousers, a silk for the back of the waistcoat, loads of interfacing/tailoring supplies, pocket fabric, buttons (still couldn't find the right ones for the coat), and all the parts to make this:

Just waiting on the temporary watch fob to come in. I found a dozen brass medallions on ebay for $2. They've got a clock face on the front, which I thought was appropriate. When I get them I'll try out the polishing drum at work to see if I can get them to look like gold, they're very dark as is. They're about 1 1/4" in diameter instead of the accurate 1", but for the price they'll get me through the first event until I can find a proper cricket medal.

Other work has been delayed because the fur coat I got on ebay ended up bringing an infestation of carpet beetles with it. It's hard to sit down and sew when you spend every waking minute vacuuming your ceiling to stem the horde. The coat has now been dropped off at a local furrier to get it cleaned and restored. Really nice people, but holy h*** is it expensive to clean fur! The exterminator is in later today to hopefully wipe out the rest of them. Out of the house all day tomorrow, but hoping to finish the trousers Sunday and start patterning the waistcoat finally.

Oh, and the trim came in and it's awesome, and the shirting shipped.

Thanks! I've decided to use my Tom Baker TARDIS key on the other chain across from the Utopia Base pocket watch.

So the carpet beetle problem is slowly getting resolved. The exterminator unfortunately didn't get rid of them all, but I've been able to almost completely remove them from my room at least. I've cleaned off and/or ironed about half of the fabrics I was storing under my sewing table and individually bagged them.

Anyway, the shirting came in much earlier than expected, so I'll be starting on the shirt immediately after the trousers are done. I'll probably work on those over the next 2 days between cleaning off the rest of the fabrics. So far I've only actually found one bug, but it's too important to take any chances. If all goes according to plan I'll have the shirt and trousers done by the end of the week and I'll get the waistcoat made and the coat patterned and MAYBE cut out over the weekend. The whole thing has to be done by next Thursday, so I'm not sure if I can get it done or not. But I'll do my best I guess.

Lining is stitched into the trousers, just have to attach the waistband, put on the buttons, and hem them. This experience has reminded me how big a PITA lining fabrics are though, and with that in mind I can say that I definitely won't be able to get the coat done on time. The shirt will be no problem, I'm sure the waistcoat will give me a lot of grief, but those two are manageable in the time frame. The coat just isn't a possibility right now. And besides, with the cashmere at nearly $100 a yard, I'd rather not rush it and screw up.

Hopefully I'll have the trousers together enough to take a picture on the weekend, and I'm hoping to get the shirt completely cut out tomorrow night and at least halfway sewn together on Friday.

I've taken a turn towards " don't give a ****" and decided that I'd rather get some sleep and play assassin's creed 4 over the next week than stress out just to finish half a costume. So this one is getting bumped to Gallifrey one in February. That way I can take my time and properly modify my Tom Baker coat pattern on the way.

It's better that way. The less stress goes into a costume, the less stress goes into you each time you wear it. Associative memory and all that.

Yea, I just keep setting my deadlines too short. While I do really want to get this done in time for Gally, I'm also building a Dalek, and that one takes priority over everything else for that con. So this costume will turn out just fine if everything goes REALLY well or REALLY poorly for the Dalek build. In between, I'm not sure.

Shame we don't have access to a real Tardis. You could show up with the finished product and say "here, you'll want this in a minute or two..."

Nothing really close, the original was made out of a sold out gray silk blend with the pattern embroidered on.
It's a waiting game at this point, because if we keep emailing them, Abbyshot will probably make it and if not then one of the regulars will reweave it.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back