For the past couple of years, I've been wearing a somewhat accurate Smith costume to cons, comprised of a pair of aged black jeans, a Spoonflower print shirt sewn up by Darth Mule, a close enough Donegal tweed jacket, a very close to accurate Topman bow tie I dyed blue, the believed-to-be-accurate Swagger and Swoon braces, and a pair of original All Saints layer boots (later replaced by a better fitting pair of cropped layer boots, which are more accurate in some regards to the repro shoes made for the show, less in others.)
Ren Fest in Colorado in my old costume.
Well, I've been planning to upgrade for the longest time, and I'm finally making it happen. I plan to finish in time for Gallifrey One in just over one month. I've decided to make two variants of the costume, though. Specifically the series 5 outfit as seen in Vincent and the Doctor (with mirror device if I can finish it in time), and the series 7 outfit as seen in A Town Called Mercy (with hat, Marshal badge and gun belt).
So first what's already been done. It's been in the works for ages. Way back when E-Wan first identified and located the fabrics, I bought 4 meters of the hand woven Donegal tweed used to make the series 5 jackets. It was a stupid financial decision at the time, but I'm glad I did it because it sold out days later and never came back in stock. Last month I picked up the reweave of the series 6 tweed, which has been used in series 7. Actually glad I waited on that one as it's slightly different and series 6 was a waste of air time for the most part.
I also purchased a pair of the G-Star jeans worn in series 6/7 a few months ago, and a pair of Stacy Adams Madison boots in black, which I think are generally considered the best close enough alternative to the very expensive originals. The most amazing find I had though was an original blue Paul Smith shirt on ebay. The guy was asking $70 and didn't know what he had, and I got it. It's an XL though and fits like a 2XL, so I have to cut it down to a medium. Currently it looks possible, but I might have to cheat it a little, particularly in the yoke and collar. The cuffs are also unfortunately misaligned and I haven't figured out exactly how to solve that problem. I'm very proud of my Spoonflower prints, but the saturation doesn't hold up when compared directly with the original, so replacing the original cuffs is out of the question.
A few months ago I did a run of series 6/7 blue bow ties, and I've got mine cut and ready to sew together.
Because I was an idiot and didn't buy the Topman jeans when they were new and cost $40, I have to make them myself. Thanks again to E-Wan and Manofsteel25, I was able to make a pretty decent pattern. I found a white and brown houndstooth cotton and spent a few months trying to get it the right color before giving up. I finally gave it to my girlfriend who dyes fabrics for her job and she handled it in a week. Those will be coming together in a week or so.
I'm buying the burgundy Swagger and Swoon braces in a couple days and I have 3 yards of my striped shirt Spoonflower print fabric on it's way to me to make the shirt.
Doctor Who Series 6 striped shirt fabric by risu for sale on Spoonflower - custom fabric, wallpaper and wall decals
I've also done some work on the hat. Couldn't find one the right color, but in bright sunlight this one looks close.
For the elbow patches I'll be transferring the dark brown deerskin ones on my current close enough over to the new S5 jacket, and I found this leather the other day for the S7.
Obviously, getting the jackets done in time is going to be a nightmare, but I have the base pattern I'll be modifying and I'm pretty confident in my abilities. I'll be posting in this thread pretty regularly for the next month. Hopefully I'll still be able to find time to keep it up to date when the con gets closer.