data-ad-slot="5185789655">
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Subscribe
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 12:51 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #26

Risu said: View Post
    I'm pretty psyched, this is probably the route I'm going to take now.
    Yeah same here. I actually really can't wait to see these swatches. I just need to find the right shirt pattern for sewing it. I'll probably just have somebody else sew it all up for me though as I've never done it before.

Still kind of unsure on whether to actually do this or not though after hearing of MS going for a costume fitting. Makes me wonder if they'll even keep the shirt. I hope they do though as I love the design and look of it.
    Last edited by WarMachine; Jul 9, 2010 at 2:13 AM. Reason: Added more to the post
  2. data-ad-slot="4313291280">
    data-ad-slot="8398578428">
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 2:19 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #27

IMO the shirt is the best part of the costume, I hope they don't get rid of it. But then again, the shirts they have won't last forever. Still, it's a nice shirt that I'll probably wear out of costume more often than in.

Oh, and there's a Burda shirt pattern that matches the PS shirt fairly well.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 2:25 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #28

IMO the shirt is the best part of the costume, I hope they don't get rid of it. But then again, the shirts they have won't last forever. Still, it's a nice shirt that I'll probably wear out of costume more often than in.

Oh, and there's a Burda shirt pattern that matches the PS shirt fairly well.
    Yeah I agree about the shirt. Favorite part of the outfit for sure. Probably because it's the most detailed part of the outfit, the rest of it could be done with "close enoughs" quite easily. The shirt just stands out because of the pattern. I reckon the outfit change will just be a waistcoat or a different coat.

I saw the Burda pattern that SR used for his. Dunno if that's an exact match but it's probably the one I'll end up buying for this.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 2:28 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #29

Well, there are little details like the correct collar and cuff shape and the width of the box pleat. The only big change (if you could call it that) would be adding the darts in the back.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 2:35 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #30

I'd definitely just get the fabric first and then research the hell out of it and take numerous HD screengrabs before doing anything. I'd also give SRs blog another read through before starting, to see what he found out and pointed out when making his replica shirts.
  7. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jul 9, 2010, 8:50 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #31

WarMachine said: View Post
    I'd definitely just get the fabric first and then research the hell out of it and take numerous HD screengrabs before doing anything. I'd also give SRs blog another read through before starting, to see what he found out and pointed out when making his replica shirts.
    You can save yourselves the bother, Paul Smith are bringing the shirt back by popular demand.
    Jul 9, 2010, 8:56 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #32

pumpkiny said: View Post
    You can save yourselves the bother, Paul Smith are bringing the shirt back by popular demand.
    Source?
  9. Member Since
    Jun 2009
    Jul 9, 2010, 8:59 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #33

WarMachine said: View Post
    Warcft said: View Post
    Source?
    I've been speaking directly with Paul Smith's commercial department for a while now.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 9:29 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #34

That's pretty cool. They'll still cost loads more than the spoonflower alternative, but if Gap ever brought back the trousers I'd be pretty psyched, so I can see the benefit.
    From
    Los Angeles, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 11:31 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #35

Wow, interesting! Any info on price/timing?
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 9, 2010, 1:02 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #36

Oh wow, that's awesome of them to do that. Definitely good news.
  13. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 10, 2010, 11:28 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #37

If I remember correctly the PS shirts ran in the $200-$250 range. Not a cheap shirt.

Also, that burda shirt pattern that SR uses is for a more casual shirt. I don't think the collar is right on it nor is the center front placket. I will likely use a standard 3-hour shirt pattern that has a normal placket instead of a self facing in the center front.

Sorry I haven't posted those pics yet. Today was my first off day in two weeks and I spent it doing other things.
  14. Member Since
    May 2002
    From
    L.A., CA
    Jul 11, 2010, 2:48 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #38

The cost for the PS shirt brand new was 78 GBP or about $120 USD. After shipping from the UK it was about $150. This was for the unmodified version with the covered buttonstand, breast pocket and lack of striped cuffs (but straps which could be added to simulate the end of the cuffs). I assume the full non pocket/uncovered buttonstand/5 striped cuff version they offered went for the same cost but I don't know because by the time that version was discovered it was on a clearance website for far less when it was purchased.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 11, 2010, 3:27 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #39

I contacted Spoonflower about their current turnaround times. They told me their printer was broken for 20 days, which caused the delay. Their wait is now down to 15 days.
  16. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 11, 2010, 6:35 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #40

Here we go. Tried to click these in sunlight. Sadly my camera decided to die, so I had to use the droid. Which thankfully has a great camera.

The blue, I'm happy with. The stripes on the cuff maybe could go darker, but this one looks good.
    The red looks a little brown up close. May have to pink it up a bit since Spoonflower's printers tend to brown it out alot. The squiggles are too thick too, so there's a fix.

Comments?
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 11, 2010, 6:41 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #41

That's amazing! I have personally decided to go with Blue Doctor rather than Red Doctor, so I'm glad the test came out so well.

Like you said, the red looks brown and thick, but the blue is spot on!

When do I get to place my order?
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 11, 2010, 9:32 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #42

Yeah the red could definitely go more of a deeper red/burgundy than the brownish red that it is right now. Doesn't look too far off though to be honest so I wouldn't tweak it too much. Also, I agree on the thickness of the squiggles on the red. Besides that, they both look awesome. The blue is perfect.
    Jul 11, 2010, 10:58 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #43

I agree that the blue stripes could go darker, though it's so close I'm not sure you need to go to the trouble. The rest of the blue looks spot on in my opinion. Very impressed!
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 12, 2010, 12:47 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #44

Looks great.

To have a shirt ready in time for comic con I decided I'd draw the stripes and waves onto an existing shirt with a fabric pen, but I don't really know the correct spacing of the stripes. Did you find that out in order to make these swatches the correct scale? If so, can you tell me the spacing? Even with 2 weeks left until I wear the costume, it's going to be a mad rush getting the shirt finished, I expect it to take well over 20 hours to draw the whole pattern.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 12, 2010, 2:00 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #45

Looks great.

To have a shirt ready in time for comic con I decided I'd draw the stripes and waves onto an existing shirt with a fabric pen, but I don't really know the correct spacing of the stripes. Did you find that out in order to make these swatches the correct scale? If so, can you tell me the spacing? Even with 2 weeks left until I wear the costume, it's going to be a mad rush getting the shirt finished, I expect it to take well over 20 hours to draw the whole pattern.
    Dang, wish I could go to comic con. By the time I had checked, it was already sold out. Maybe next year ... although I've been saying that for the last 3 years lol. Went to Anaheim comic con but I'd love to go to the big one in SD some time.

I was wondering about the size between the striping too. That info would be useful.

What color you going for? You going to sew some fabric stripes onto the sleeves too? Definitely interested in seeing what it looks like with the fabric marker technique.
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 12, 2010, 2:23 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #46

I'm doing the blue one, although I have thought about the red as well. The base shirt cost me $32 and would work perfectly for either color, if I could find a burgundy fabric marker. I'm a little concerned my blue one isn't dark enough, but it's the best I could find. Right now my plan is to just draw the cuff stripes on, but if that doesn't look good I'll cover them up with sewn on fabric.
    From
    Southern California
    Jul 12, 2010, 10:42 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #47

To have one done in time for comic con, I wen the fabric pen route. Blue turned out pretty good, but for the burguny I need to find a finer tipped pen. Those waves are now burned into my eyes!
    From
    Long Beach, CA
    Jul 12, 2010, 11:54 AM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #48

No kidding, huh? I went ahead and assumed the stripe spacing based on my faint memory of the real shirt I saw in person and the width of my base shirt's box pleat, and I think it worked out pretty well. So far I've finished both cuffs, the collar, and collar stand (just in the front where it might show) and the box pleat. When my eyes and hands stop hurting and I feel up to it again I'll do the front of the shirt, then depending on how I feel I might do the back, and then MAYBE the sleeves. Those would be really difficult I think. As I expected, once the pen dried all the way it ended up a lighter royal blue than I would have liked, but there's not much I can do about that.
  25. Member Since
    Apr 2005
    From
    Atlanta, GA
    Jul 12, 2010, 9:22 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #49

The sections are 3/8" wide. I'll go log onto my spoonflower account and see if I can go ahead and ok the blue.

Edit:
    Done! http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric_it...sign_id=258864

For the body. 2.5 yds should get a small, medium, or large shirt plus another half yard of the cuff fabric at:
    http://www.spoonflower.com/fabric_it...sign_id=262263
    Last edited by Darth Mule; Jul 12, 2010 at 9:47 PM.
    From
    Southern California
    Jul 12, 2010, 9:24 PM - Re: Doctor Who 11th Doctor Shirt Pattern development thread. #50

Took a work in progress pic in my first hand-drawn burgundy shirt ... the waves are way too big. I definitely need to find a finer-tipped burgundy marker.

Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast