Doc's foam/fiberglass work + Mark 42 painted pieces

Doc's foam Builds + new updated gloves. WM helmet and updated freehanded mrk 7

Hey doc I saw u said u heat sealed the foam how exactly do u heat seal it if you don't mind me askin man thanks

Re: Doc's foam Builds + new updated gloves. WM helmet and updated freehanded mrk 7

The V1 Mark VII biceps is a little bit of a problem for some people. Some members have mentioned that the bottom of the biceps hits the forearm limiting mobility... you can alter the template and cut off a section of the biceps in the front. Also, extending the 'ears' to make them a little longer will help as well (where the biceps hinges with the forearm).

well. . .i love your files :)

Re: Doc's foam Builds + new updated gloves. WM helmet and updated freehanded mrk 7 bo

Hey doc I saw u said u heat sealed the foam how exactly do u heat seal it if you don't mind me askin man thanks

Doc said he uses a heat gun and blasts the surface of the foam with the hot air. He said that you can see the surface 'sparkle' as it seals. From his trials he says this helps to get a better finish on the parts.

well. . .i love your files :)

Thanks, I appreciate it. Most people do like them... there are just some that have these issues but that is not to say that they don't like them either.

Doc's foam Builds + new updated gloves. WM helmet and updated freehanded mrk 7

Doc said he uses a heat gun and blasts the surface of the foam with the hot air. He said that you can see the surface 'sparkle' as it seals. From his trials he says this helps to get a better finish on the parts.

Thanks, I appreciate it. Most people do like them... there are just some that have these issues but that is not to say that they don't like them either.

Thanks again darkside much appreciated as always bro

Re: Doc's foam Builds + new updated gloves. WM helmet and updated freehanded mrk 7 bo

Feels like I'm a kid in a candyshop :D doc ur work is just mindblowing

Goodness gracious!!!! INCREDIBLE work!!! :eek :love

thanks everyone, while Im building other projects for customrs I decided to come up with my own freehanded palm for my gloves. Im always trying to improve my stuff like the glove I wanted to get them to articulate so good that you'll be able to make a fist. So I had to freehand my own templates. So this is a short vid of my new and improved glove making a fist and pic of hand drawn templates of different sizes. Thanks again for checking my stuff out:)

Re: Doc's foam Builds + freehanded palm for better look/articulation to even make fis

Hi mate :) you may have some kind of gift :)

Can you please tell us how you design your boots to make them so flexible and durable? :)

Re: Doc's foam Builds + freehanded palm for better look/articulation to even make fis

Hi mate :) you may have some kind of gift :)

Can you please tell us how you design your boots to make them so flexible and durable? :)
Its called skill mate lol:thumbsup

The main reason that paint will crack or crease is due to the surface the paint is trying to bond to cracks or creases. This is a test i did on 2 garbage gloves I had lying around. The first one was sealed then plastidip then the other was also sealed then coated with different material. As you will see the plastidip creases very easily while the other does not and will return back to original form. Next test painting if this works as I think it should this will give more stress resistant, very flexible and durable piece. I can load 1 vid at time so will double post with other vid below. If anyone interested can go more in detail. my brain never stops thinking on how to improve foam building:lol:D

Heres the 2nd new coating test. And im pressing into it pretty hard double the pressure of the plastidip

Re: Doc's foam Builds + better look/articulation glove + plastidip vs New coating tes

I did some test pieces and felt confident I could get an awesome finish to try it on updated glove. 1st vid is to show the finish I achieved with it below.

Re: Doc's foam Builds + better look/articulation glove + plastidip vs New coating tes

And 2nd vid is to show how glove flexes. My goal was to figure out a way for my customers and I to have a finish that withstands natural movement like walking also to not worry when your putting on pieces and need to move or squeeze part get on:lol, to be able to not get damaged if you bump into somthin also ofcourse to give the best finish possible without hardcoating with rondo, smooth on, epoxy or polyester resins. :D

Last edited:
Re: Doc's foam Builds + plastidip vs New coating test results are in

This is how the glove articulates with new coating. Pretty proud of this one. Been working and researchin and trial n error tests for a long long time to achieve a finish that can withstand movement like vid shows without cracking or creases. Foam building has now been turned up a notch. :D

Last edited:

Wow! Looks awesome Doc. I'm just about finished with my foam build and am getting ready to paint it. What's your secret formula for sealing and painting?

Wow! Looks awesome Doc. I'm just about finished with my foam build and am getting ready to paint it. What's your secret formula for sealing and painting?

Yes!

Doc, it sounds like you have made some changes to your process... I will be making a foam vest for a video game character and would definitely like to use the best process out there.

Those are some pretty awesome videos! Gloves look great. Also, I am wondering what technique you use to hold the fingers together and 'hinge' for articulation. I have used a few and, while I am happy with what I have, I am always looking at different ways of doing things.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back