District 9 Bunraku

Temperance

Why can't I come up with sensible cosplays?
I am making a Bunraku of Christopher Johnson from District 9.
A Bunraku is a kind of life sized puppet used in Japanese theatre. Since The Prawns in District 9 are so skinny, they would be impossible to make into full costumes... but put me in a black zentai, and some kind of puppet harness, and I can control him from behind.
Here is a basic sketch of the idea:
sketchplan.jpg

I took my design and projected the front and side view to a piece of cardboard, taped the two pieces together with a pipe base to support them, then filled the empty spaces with good ole canned expanding foam.
foamrough.jpg

Once filled, I carved out the basic shape of the Prawn with a knife for a relatively smooth surface to add clay to:
foamcore.jpg

Now to add the clay.... so much clay! OMG I can't believe how much clay! I underestimated the amount of clay I needed my several boxes. Surprisingly, even a small layer of clay around the form turned out to be quite a lot!
clay1.jpg

I also couldn't always find the same color of clay, so I have a bizarre mixture of black grey and beige T_T
clay2.jpg

The torso is now fully covered, and I am on to sculpting the details!

Looks good. The proportions of the torso look spot on. If it might help for future build, i find that using WED clay cuts down cost and you get alot of it. Very easy to work with.

A not so exciting update... blocking out details in the clay:
blocksculpt.jpg

Once I everything is blocked out and even I will sharpen details and texture.

More sculpting...
Back blocked out and some of the face:
blocksculpt2.jpg

blocksculpt3.jpg

I will be sculpting and casting the face tentacles separately and adding them AFTER I cast the head/torso instead of trying to cast them directly on the face. This way I will get far better detail and articulation.

Fook yeah! Keep up the great work. This is pretty cool. I'll have to eventually get around to creating my MNU 1st Reaction Battalion costume for an awesome photo op.

The idea is awesome and I'm eager to see the sculpt finished. But be careful or you will look like this in the costume, lol!:

Screen2Bshot2B2011-04-032Bat2B129522BAM.png

You idea is very interesting! I think it will look fantastic as a cosplay.
I can't wait to see what it looks like finished. very very impressed cheers!

Great build!

Oh man, my head just gets filled up with ideas every time I visit therpf.com I don't have the time nor the money to pursue every one of them. Darn it..

This sounds like an awesome project! I'll be keeping an eye on it! I remember seeing something of similar nature with a General Grevious costume/puppet.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back